Modern Hebrew Pronunciation

MisterE
Modern Hebrew Pronunciation

Postby MisterE » 2014-12-28, 19:44

Hi,
Can someone tell me what the rule is for a cholem vav after a sheva. I read a transliteration with it as 'vo' and not simply the 'o' as I expected. In all the rules I have read before I haven't seen anything mentioning a cholem vav being a 'vo' or a shureq being a 'vu'. I can't find any other occurence of the cholem vav coming after a sheva so I don't know if it's a set rule or bad transliteration or whatever. So is this a set thing. Like in the word b'mitz'votav the vo is after an ayin with a sheva. Normally I would have the cholem vav as 'o', not 'vo' I posted a link with a picture of what I mean from a screenshot. Sorry I cant write the actually Hebrew, it doesn't want to come out on here :(

Also, I saw that the name noah is spelled in Hebrew but pronounced with the patach before the chet, in reverse. Is this just some relic from Biblical Hebrew times or is this also a set rule that is always pronounced 'ach' and not 'cha'?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mikey93

Re: Modern Hebrew Pronunciation

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-12-28, 23:35

Hi,
the rule in this case is, that every syllable must start with a consonant, so it cannot be cholem maleh. The first syllable is open "be" with vocal shewa, then you have second closed syllable "mits" with silent shewa and then starts the new syllable, so it cannot be anything else, but the consonant waw with cholem chaser. In an unpointed text, I guess it is common to double the waw (מצווה, מצוות, מצוותיו etc.) so it woul be clear that it is a consonant not the vowel letter (in plural + status constructus plural, the second waw then takes cholem)

Concerning the second question, the patah under the consonants ח, ע, ה ,but only at the end of a word, is called patah furtivum and is pronounced always before the consonants. Some examples:
רֵיחַ reach
madua' מַדוּעַ
אֱלוֹהַּ eloah

P.S.
The rules of pronunciation is, as far as I know, identical with the Biblical Hebrew (not the pronunciation per se). Only that in Modern Hebrew the vowel letters (ו,י,ה) are used far more often to facilitate the reading.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

MisterE

Re: Modern Hebrew Pronunciation

Postby MisterE » 2014-12-31, 11:58

Wow! I never heard of a patah furtivum anywhere. Thanks for the reply Mikey, it was perfectly what I needed :)

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”