Hebrew Translation Game

Babelfish
Re: Hebrew Translation Game

Postby Babelfish » 2013-10-04, 13:35

I think we should stick to sentences not too long and complex - I myself took a little while to figure out the sentence above, let alone translate it properly into Hebrew. A learner would have difficult time IMHO.
Mikey93 wrote:*Edit: Are all the expressions below interchangeable, or are there some nuances in their meaning ?
נקיפות מצפון, נקיפות לב, יסורי מצפון
Yes.
Mikey93 wrote:
I'm starting to despair of Sanskrit... I used to think Ancient Greek was insanely complicated!

אני מתחיל להתייאש מסנסקריט ... הייתי חושב חשבתי שיוונית עתיקה הייתה מסובכת ביותר :?:
(not sure whether the literal translation of "insanely" would fit here)

הייתי חושב translates quite literally into I would think, which doesn't fit here well. היה + present participle can express a past habitual, repeated action, but I can't think of any circumstances where it works with something continuous like "used to think". Sorry if I caused a confusion...
P.S. בטירוף / בצורה מטורפת for "insanely" are quite fine here :)
Mikey93 wrote:
Now I know that the truly hard thing is sometimes to forgive oneself.
עכשיו אני יודע שהדבר הקשה באמת הוא לפעמים לסלוח לעצמך.

'Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all (Tennyson).
The Hebrew translations usually don't insist on preserving the past infinitive :wink:
Native languages: Hebrew (he) & English (en)
My language pages: http://babelfish.50webs.com/

מן המקום בו אנו צודקים לא יפרחו לעולם פרחים באביב (יהודה עמיחי)
From the place where we are in the right, flowers will never grow in the spring (Yhuda Amihay)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-17, 12:39

Babelfish wrote:'Tis better to have loved and lost / Than never to have loved at all (Tennyson).
The Hebrew translations usually don't insist on preserving the past infinitive :wink:

Syntactically similar to Slovak. Anyways, is there a past infi in HE?
"עדיף לאהוב ולאבד, מאשר לא לאהוב בכלל"

I am not cut out for these sophisticated "moral bypasses" and repulsive evasion.
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-06-17, 20:33

Mikey93 wrote:I am not cut out for these sophisticated "moral bypasses" and repulsive evasion.

אני לא בנוי לפתלתלות המוסרית המתוחכמת וההתחמקות הדוחה הזו.

I got to pay more attention.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-21, 16:27

Golv wrote:
Mikey93 wrote:I am not cut out for these sophisticated "moral bypasses" and repulsive evasion.

אני לא בנוי לפתלתלות המוסרית המתוחכמת וההתחמקות הדוחה הזו.

יש לי מה ללמוד...

I got to pay more attention.

אני צריך לשים יותר לב.

Inner beauty is apparently a necessary condition, for the object of human desire not just to sink to the level of obsession with thoughtless, immature and childish emptiness.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-06-26, 16:09

יופי פנימי הוא ככל הנראה תנאי הכרחי לכך שמושא התשוקה של האדם לא סתם ידרדר לרמה של אובססיה עם ריקנות ילדותית, לא בוגרת ודלת מחשבה

"Being dumb is sometimes an evolutionary advantage"

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-26, 21:27

Golv wrote:"Being dumb is sometimes an evolutionary advantage"

להיות שוטה זה לפעמים יתרון אבולוציוני.

If I was to conscientiously explore all the folds of my subconsciousness, even then I would not find enough conviction to agree with this choice of lifestyle.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-06-27, 16:05

Mikey93 wrote:If I was to conscientiously explore all the folds of my subconsciousness, even then I would not find enough conviction to agree with this choice of lifestyle.
גם אם הייתי חוקר ביסודיות את כל רבדי התת-מודע שלי, עדיין לא הייתי מצליח להשתכנע לתמוך בבחירה זו של אורח-חיים.

Mikey93 (in the other thread) wrote:Take that, you devil!
הא לך, שד שכמוך!

My cellular phone today is a more powerful computer than my desktop PC was 10 years ago.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-28, 12:24

Babelfish wrote:My cellular phone today is a more powerful computer than my desktop PC was 10 years ago.

היום הטלפון הנייד שלי הוא מכשיר יותר חזק מאשר היה המחשב השלחני שלי לפני 10 שנים.

These traitors will stab a dagger into your back without a slightest blink of an eye and if you, by any chance, managed to not to bleed out, that is even if you overcame fatigue, nausea, vertigo, or fainting – none of this would prevent them from chasing you on your way home and haunting you in your innermost dreams.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-06-28, 13:20

הבוגדים האלה יתקעו סכין בגבך מבלי למצמץ עין ולו קלות, וגם אם תצליח במזל כלשהו שלא לדמם למוות, זאת אומרת, אפילו תצליח לגבור על התשישות, הבחילה, הסחרחורת ואובדן ההכרה - כי גם אז דבר מזה לא ימנע מהם מלרדופך בדרכך הביתה ובחלומותיך העמוקים ביותר.

We were having the hardest time trying to convince him that the fork should go in the socket and not his plate, but he got it eventually.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-06-28, 20:57

Golv wrote:We were having the hardest time trying to convince him that the fork should go in the socket and not his plate, but he got it eventually.

היה לנו מאוד קשה לשכנע אותו שהמזלג ילך לשקע ולא בצלחתו, אבל בסוף הוא הבין את זה.

No idea how to render "having hard times" differently.

Wanderers, cowards, drunkards, eccentric weirdoes, people who stubbornly remain idle no matter what happens: how can one not shake with terror at the very idea that one might end up similarly.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-06-29, 11:25

Mikey93 wrote:היה לנו מאוד קשה לשכנע אותו שהמזלג הולך/אמור ללכת לשקע ולא בצלחתו, אבל בסוף הוא הבין את זה.

I like קלט better here, but הבין works too.
להתקשות is another option for "to have a hard time".

Mikey93 wrote:Wanderers, cowards, drunkards, eccentric weirdoes, people who stubbornly remain idle no matter what happens: how can one not shake with terror at the very idea that one might end up similarly.

אובדי-דרך, פחדנים, שתיינים, תמהונים אקסצנטרים, אנשים המתעקשים לרבוץ בחוסר מעש ויהי מה: כיצד זה אפשר
שלא לרעוד באימה לעצם המחשבה שאולי תסיים דומה.

A crowd is not the sum of the individuals who compose it. Rather it is a species of animal, without language or real consciousness, born when they gather, dying when they depart.
(Gene Wolfe in The Shadow of the Torturer)

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-07-03, 14:26

Golv wrote:A crowd is not the sum of the individuals who compose it. Rather it is a species of animal, without language or real consciousness, born when they gather, dying when they depart.
(Gene Wolfe in The Shadow of the Torturer)

המון לא קבוצה בת הפרטים, אלא מין חיה, בלי לשון או הכרה אמיתית, נולד כש(הם)מכנסים, ומת כש(הם)מופרדים (מפזרים?).
Very loose and probably wrong translation I guess. :?

His decline was gradual, continuous, deceptive and disturbing in the lack of any warning, seemingly without abyss starring mercilessly at the end of that regrettable misfortune, which he dared to call his own inalienable life.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-07-04, 15:25

Your translation needs improvement, but it isn't flat-out wrong except for the first couple of words. Here's my suggestion:
המון אינו אוסף הפרטים המרכיבים אותו, אלא מין חיה, בלי שפה או תודעה אמיתית, נולד כשהם מתאספים, מת כשהם מתפזרים.

As usual, the words in blue are ones which I think would fit better, but your choice of words here wasn't incorrect.
Mikey93 wrote:His decline was gradual, continuous, deceptive and disturbing in the lack of any warning, seemingly without abyss starring mercilessly at the end of that regrettable misfortune, which he dared to call his own inalienable life.

הדרדרותו היתה הדרגתית, מתמשכת, מטעה ומטרידה בכך שלא היו שום סימני אזהרה, לכאורה ללא תהום צופה ללא רחמים בסוף האסון המצער הזה, שהוא העז לקרוא לו חייו שלו שלא ניתן להעבירם לאחר.

Shall we return to more everyday language? :) This week I went to visit a Living Statues festival in my city, Rehovot. Impressive for kids, mostly, but the one who cosplayed Neo from Matrix and leaned back waving his guns impressed me too, even though I could figure his shoe was nailed to the stage 8-) I hope this wasn't too long

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-07-05, 13:46

Gosh, this is beyond my abilities, but I'm trying anyway.

יוכלים לחזור לספה שהיא יום יומי יותר? השבוע אני הלכתי לבקר פסתיבל של פסלים חיים בעיר שלי, רחובות. מרשים לרב לילדים, אבל הבן אדם שהיה קוספלייר של נאו של מטריקס היה מרשים גם לי. אף על פי יכולתי להבין שהנעליים שלי היו ממוסמרים לשלב

(I have no idea how to translate and leaned back waving his guns)

We should make a version for beginners of this game.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2014-07-10, 15:55

IpseDixit wrote:יוכלים לחזור לספה שהיא יום יומי יותר? השבוע אני הלכתי לבקר פסתיבל של פסלים חיים בעיר שלי, רחובות. מרשים לרב לילדים, אבל הבן אדם שהיה קוספלייר של נאו של מטריקס היה מרשים גם לי. אף על פי יכולתי להבין שהנעליים שלי היו ממוסמרים לשלב

שנחזור לשפה יומיומית יותר? השבוע הלכתי לבקר בפסטיבל פסלים חיים בעיר שלי, רחובות. מרשים בעיקר לילדים, אבל האיש שקיספליי את ניאו מהמטריקס [ונשען לאחור בעודו מנפנף באקדחיו] הרשים גם אותי, אע"פ שיכולתי להבין שהנעליים שלו היו ממוסמרות לבמה.

You managed well. Aside from correcting a few minor mistakes, which I trust you will be able to figure yourself without further explanation, I only feel compelled to clarify my use of ש at the beginning, which is used to indicate a desire or suggestion in Modern Hebrew (think of the similar use of "que" in Spanish), but not many grammars bother to mention, in my experience.

IpseDixit wrote:We should make a version for beginners of this game.

אנחנו צריכים לעשות גירסה למתחילים למשחק הזה.

I am sure it will work itself out once we actually get more beginners here.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-07-11, 21:28

Golv wrote:I am sure it will work itself out once we actually get more beginners here.

אני בטוח שזה ייפתר כשיהיו לנו כאן ממש יותר מתחילים .

Let's not jump to premature conclusions.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-07-12, 10:17

אל נקפץ למסקנות מוקדמות מדי

It would be good to have a beginner's thread because Hebrew has a steep learning curve for non-Semites making it difficult to figure out more complex sentences when you don't know much.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2014-07-18, 17:16

טוב שיהיה שרשור למתחילים כי לעברית יש עקומת למידה תלולה עבור לא-שׁמים, מה שמקשה על פענוח משפטים מסובכים יותר כאשר אתה לא יודע הרבה.

You're welcome to open a new thread then! :mrgreen:

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2014-07-26, 13:14

Babelfish wrote:You're welcome to open a new thread then! :mrgreen:

אז תרגיש חופשי לפתוח דיון חדש!

I realize I overreacted, and I am shocked at my own behaviour; I think it all boils down to the fact that I haven’t been well lately.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-07-27, 7:52

אני מבין שאני הגבתי יתר על המידה, וגם אני המום להתנהגות שלי. אני חושב שכולם בגלל אני לא מרגיש בסדר להחרונה

I think this is too simple an excuse for what you did, I'm sure there are other reasons that you don't want to reveal.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”