Hebrew Translation Game

Mikey93
Re: Hebrew Translation Game

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-05-21, 16:12

Babelfish wrote:You just had to replace the classic "to be" with a verb which doesn't exist in Hebrew, hadn't you? :evil: The best I could come up with is something like the above.
:lol:
הָיִיתָ פָּשוּט צָרִיךְ לְהַחְלִיף אֶת הַ-"לִהְיוֹת" הַקְלָסִית עִם פּוֹעַל שֶלֹא קַיָים בְּעִבְרִית, הַלֹא כֵן? הַתִרְגוּם הֲכִי טוֹב שֶיָכוֹלְתִי לְהַגִיעַ אֵלָיו זֶה מַשֶהוּ כְּמוֹ הַנָ"ל.

I wasn't chosen for the job. His own son was chosen. Bloody favoritism! Unjust!
Native: (sk) (cs)
Advanced: (en)
Intermediate:(fr) (he)
Beginner: (ar) (es)

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-05-29, 14:59

לא אני1 נבחרתי למשימה2. הבן שלו נבחר. איזה משוא פנים3! לא צודק!

1 אני added for emphasis
2 "job" has several different meanings with different translations in Hebrew, this seems the most appropriate.
3 a rather literary expression, but I can't think of any colloquial equivalent.

Sorry for the late reply, last week I got a serious rash due to some allergy and went to the hospital on Friday, which of course wasted quite a lot of my weekend.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-06-01, 9:38

מִצְטַעֵר עַל הַתְגוּבָה הַמְאוּחֶרֶת. בַּשָבוּעַ שֶעָבַר חָטַפְתִי תִפְרַחַת חֲמוּרָה בְּשֶל אֵיזוֹ אָלֶרְגִיָה וְנָסַעְתִי לְבֵית חוֹלִים בְּיוֹם שִישִי, מַה שֶכַמוּבָן בִּזְבֵּז אֶת מַרְבִּית סוֹף הַשָׁבוּעַ שֶלִי.

He did feel sorry and had this kind of apologetic attitude to what had happened.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-05, 16:05

הוא בכל זאת הצטער והפגין גישה התנצלותית כזאת לגבי מה שקרה.

I really enjoyed that restaurant. I hope we come back there soon, they have several dishes on the menu which I'm dying to try out!

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-06-08, 13:43

מַמָשׁ נֶהֱנֵיתִי מֵהַמִסְעָדָה הַזוֹ. אֲנִי מְקַוֶוה שֶנַחֲזוֹר שָׁמָה בְּקָרוֹב. יֵש לָהֶם מִסְפָּר סוּגֵי מָנוֹת בְּתַפְרִיט שֶאֲנִי מֵת לִטְעוֹם אוֹתָם.
Today I’m a bit off-colour. I felt like death warmed me up when I woke up this morning. I had a splitting headache, and I thought I was going to throw up. I took some tablets and it’s just starting to wear off. I just hope I’m not coming down with flu.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-12, 17:35

(I'd use לְשָם instead of שמה, it's more common, and also dropped סוגי since it's redundant, though not wrong)

אני מרגיש קצת לא טוב היום. הרגשתי כאילו המוות חימם? אותי כשקמתי הבוקר. היה לי כאב ראש נוראי וחשבתי שאני עומד להקיא. לקחתי כמה כדורים וזה רק מתחיל לעבור. אני רק מקווה שאני לא מפתח שפעת.

When birds fly in a triangle-like flock, the first one isn't actually the leader; it reduces friction for the birds flying behind it. Therefore, the birds take turns in this position.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-06-15, 10:45

מתי ציפורים עפים בעדר דמוי משולש, הציפור הרישון לא המנהג; הוא מפחית את החיכוך. לציפורימ העפים מאכוריו. ולכן, כל ציפור לוקח את העמדה הזות בתור.

Serbia determined: everyone will stop smoking. The Serbian state has apparently decided that by increasing tax on the sale of "ordinary" cigarettes and the introduction of a special tax on electronic cigarettes it will help 2.5 million smokers to quit smoking.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-20, 13:15

Saim wrote:
מתי כאשר ציפורים עפות בעדרלהקה דמוית משולש, הציפור הראשונה היא לא המנהיגה; היא מפחיתה את החיכוך. לציפורים העפות מאחוריה. ולכן, כל ציפור לוקחת את העמדה הזאת בתור (לפי תור).

(ציפור is feminine, so I tried to mark in orange the corrections related to that, hopefully it's discernible enough...)

סרביה קבעה: כולם יפסיקו לעשן. המדינה הסרבית החליטה, כך נראה, שבאמצעות העלאת המס על מכירת סיגריות "רגילות" והטלת מס מיוחד על סיגריות אלקטרוניות היא תעזור לשני מיליון וחצי מעשנים להיגמל.

Got delayed while posting this, the cat wanted attention... lots of it :mrgreen:

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-06-26, 9:17

הִתְעַכַּבְתִי בִּזְמַן שֶכָּתַבְתִי אֶת זֶה ...הֶחָתוּל הָיָה צָרִיךְ תְשׂוּמַת לֵב... הַרְבֵּה תְשׂוּמַת לֵב.

My inlaws treat me as if I was insufficient and inferior in essentially pretty much everything I get down to. I'm excluded from confidential conversations, they overlook me, without any remorse, at the most common celebrations. Not that I didn't enchant and amaze their daughter at every possible occasion. That, I can assure you of. If they were more attentive, they would find and appreciate numerous qualities, which are not entirely unsatisfactory.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-06-27, 14:14

המחותנים שלי מתייחסים אליי כאילו אני נחות ובלתי-מספק פחות או יותר בכל דבר שאני ניגש אליו. לא משתפים אותי בשיחות חסויות, מתעלמים ממני, ללא צל של חרטה, באירועים הנפוצים ביותר. לא שלא הקסמתי והדהמתי את בתם בכל הזדמנות אפשרית. זאת אני יכול להבטיח לך. אם הם היו מקדישים יותר תשומת לב, הם היו מוצאים איכויות רבות, שאינן לחלוטין בלתי-מספקות.

Yesterday I saw a National Geographic show about a small fish, Gudgeon if I'm not mistaken, which actually climbs waterfalls by clinging to the rocks with specially-evolved fins.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-06-30, 21:43

אֶתְמוֹל רָאִיתִי סִדְרָה בְּנשיונל ג'יאוגרפיק עַל דָגִיג, קְבַרְנוּן אִם אֲנִי לֹא טוֹעֶה, אֲשֶר לְמַעֲשֶׂה מְטַפֵּס עַל מַפְּלֵי מַיִם כָּךְ שֶהוּא דוֹבֵק בַּאֲבָנִים בְּעֶזְרַת סְנַפִּירִים מְפוּתָחִים בִּמְיוּחָד.

Threats, humiliation, intimidation, insults, abuse - none of this would have been a sufficient reason for her to face up the reality. When we got to know her, she had already been unresponsive to life for quite some time. Dozen years have gone by since her premature death.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-07-06, 12:52

איומים, השפלות, הפחדות, עלבונות, התעללות - דבר מזה לא היווה סיבה מספקת עבורה להישיר מבטה אל נוכח המציאות. משקרה אותנו להכירה, הייתה היא אדישה לחיים כבר מזה זמן-מה. תריסר שנים חלפו מאז מותה בטרם עת.

וכעת עליי לצאת לבנק.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-14, 9:32

I should go to the bank now.
I was happy for the time being, but I knew it wouldn't last long.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2015-07-14, 16:45

הייתי מאושר לעת עתה, אבל ידעתי שלא יימשך ארוך.

Hapiness is a choice, it depends on the mental pathways you yourself construct.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2015-07-17, 18:18

Saim wrote:
הייתי מאושר לעת עתה*, אבל ידעתי שזה לא יימשך לאורך זמן.
* Since עתה means "now", this sounds a bit strange to me, though I'm not sure it's actually incorrect. I'd use לפי שעה or לזמן מה here, I guess.
שמחה היא בחירה, היא תלויה בנתיבים השכליים שאתה עצמך בונה.

It is commonly thought that cats purr to signal contentment, but given that they also purr when distressed or in pain, this is evidently an incomplete explanation.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-18, 10:16

נָהוּג לַחֲשוֹב שֶחֲתוּלִים מְגַרְגֵרִים כְּדֵי לְהַרְאוֹת אֶת שְׂבִיעַת רָצוֹן, אֲבָל בְּהִתְחַשֵב שֶהֵם גַם מְגַרְגֵרִים כְּשֶהֵם שְרוּיִים בִּדְאָגָה אוֹ סוֹבְלִים מִכְּאֵב, אֵין שוּם סָפֵק שֶזֶה הֶסְבֵּר לֹא מְסַפֵּק.

If one resolves and dares to summon up all the courage, he can determine the flow of events.

Lemanensis
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-07-18, 10:41

Babelfish wrote:
Saim wrote:
הייתי מאושר לעת עתה*, אבל ידעתי שזה לא יימשך לאורך זמן.
* Since עתה means "now", this sounds a bit strange to me, though I'm not sure it's actually incorrect. I'd use לפי שעה or לזמן מה here, I guess.

It sounds very strange to use the English expression 'for the time being' with a past tense too, OTOH. I wouldn't use it.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-07-18, 14:18

Mikey93 wrote:If one resolves and dares to summon up all the courage, he can determine the flow of events.

אם אדם גומר אומר בדעתו ומעז לאזור די אומץ, יש בכוחו לקבוע את השתלשלות המאורעות.

He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Mikey93

Postby Mikey93 » 2015-07-18, 21:31

הַשוֹלֵט שֶל הַתַבְלִין, הוּא הַשוֹלֵט שֶל הַתֵבֵל.

Insurmountable mediocrity reigns here, people are spineless, heinous atrocities are the order of the day, the maze of dishonesty will no more take anyone aback, it's just ferocious bloodthirsty predators and their powerless victims here.

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2015-07-20, 22:53

Mikey93 wrote:הַשוֹלֵט בתַבְלִין, ישלוט בתֵבֵל.

You can't say השולט של since שולט isn't a noun. (you may be confusing it with the word שליט)

I do like your choice of תבל, which coincidentally shares the exact same root as תבלין (and is in fact identical to the proper singular form of תבלין in Aramaic, from which language the word comes), and must wonder whether it was consciously made with this thought in mind or were you just looking for a fancy word for "universe". Kinda clever. :)

Also note that תבל is indefinite.

Mikey93 wrote:Insurmountable mediocrity reigns here, people are spineless, heinous atrocities are the order of the day, the maze of dishonesty will no more take anyone aback, it's just ferocious bloodthirsty predators and their powerless victims here.

בינוניות ללא תקנה מושלת פה, האנשים חסרי עמוד שדרה, זוועות מחרידות הן שגרת היום, מבוך האי-יושר כבר לא מזעזע אף אחד, אין כאן מלבד טורפים צמאי-דם אימתניים וקורבנותיהם חסרי הישע.

Meh, let's go for something easy this time.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”