Why Hebrew?

zeme

Why Hebrew?

Postby zeme » 2011-02-02, 21:32

I tend to be curious and I'm just wondering why there are so many Unilangers studying Hebrew. I didn't calculate the actual number, but something tells me that it's disproportionally popular to what I would expect. Are you studying Hebrew because of your Jewish heritage, or are there other reasons that would explain such great interest in the language?
The fellow who thinks he knows it all is especially annoying to those of us who do.

Stawrberry

Re: Why Hebrew?

Postby Stawrberry » 2011-02-03, 10:18

Well, basically I'm in love with Hebrew. It sounds beautiful and the grammar is interesting and challenging. The script is pretty too. I'm also very interested in Israel and judaism, and no, I'm not Jewish. I just get pleasure out of studying this amazing language. :)

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2011-02-03, 10:19

I'm probably more of a dabbler than a learner, so I don't know if I'm entitled to answer the question, but:
1. I had to find a subject I could substitute a subject on French phonology given by an awful teacher at uni
2. I wanted it to be a non-IE language
3. The only faculty offering non-IE languages at my university is religious science/theology.
4. Biblical Hebrew was the only one that fit into my schedule.
5. I think it's interesting because it's relevant for the culture I live in. Also, I'm more familiar with the bible than with any other religious text and I'm interested in reading the original. (Would be cool if I had the time to study NT Greek too, but Hebrew is enough for now.)

I'd love to study Modern Hebrew too, some time. It's such an awesome language.
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Svet

Postby Svet » 2011-02-05, 3:04

Because it is one of the oldest languages, having a central meaning for the Holy scripts of three religions - Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Behind it, stands a vast culture, art works of immeasurable depth, history...

Okay, I tried. The most handsome men on this planet come from Israel. That's the reason...
Native: Image
Advanced by birth: Image
Fluent: Image Image
Passionate & learning: Image Image

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-02-05, 6:26

Svet wrote:Okay, I tried. The most handsome men on this planet come from Israel. That's the reason...
Hit the nail on the head ;)

For me, there were a plethora of reasons:
1. At the time, I figured my ancestors spoke Hebrew (most of them just spoke Yiddish, but whatever).
2. It sounds gorgeous, and it looks so good.
3. I love Israel.
4. Gorgeous men.
5. I love the Middle East culturally and as an economic powerhouse, but being gay means that I could not live openly and safely in anywhere but Israel.
6. Yehuda Amichai. Amos Oz. Elie Wiesel. Fiddler on the Roof. Essentially, the tradition of Jewish story telling through literature, poetry and (especially) drama that is being carried on in Israel in Hebrew.
7. My grandpa was very interested in genealogy, and had composed a really great family tree and had faxes and photocopies of all of the documents that helped him do this. After he died, we found them in his stuff, but no one could read them because they were in a crazy mixture of English, German, Yiddish and Hebrew. So Hebrew lets me read them :)
8. I LOVE ISRAELI MUSIC.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Hayy bin Yaqzaan

Postby Hayy bin Yaqzaan » 2011-02-05, 17:48

My dad was brought up Jewish, but only in the loosest sense (Bar Mitzvah, etc.), and even though he converted to Christianity, I've always felt far more affinity with Jewish culture than the one I was raised in.

It's a Semitic language. For me, this is an explanation in of itself. In comparison to other language families, Semitic just seems so...orderly and logical in its makeup (of course, this is a purely aesthetic judgment, and has nothing to do with linguistic realities).

It has a huge amount of classical literature especially in religion and philosophy. I'm more interested in Classical/Biblical/Rabbinic Hebrew than Modern, partly because I like ancient languages, and partly because it's more similar in form to Arabic and Syriac.

It sounds amazing, though I have to admit, I much prefer the Temani and Mizrachi pronunciations over Israeli, Sephardi, and Ashkenazi, and when I recite things in Hebrew to myself, I use the former.
لا يُرقىء الله عيني مَن بكى حجراً
ولا شفى وجد مَن يصبو إلى وتد

כִּי הֵם אֱלֵי כִּסְאוֹ קְרוֹבִי יוֹדוּ שְׁמוֹ וִיהַלְלוּ
חַיּוֹת שְׁהֶם רָצוֹא וְשָׁבִים מִיּוֹם בְּרִיאָה נִכְלְלוּ

Yeshua.C

Postby Yeshua.C » 2011-02-16, 9:06

All of the above reasons and more.

Yeah, Hebrew music is really great.

Sadly, I'm not studying the language right now. Every time I hear it or see the word 'Hebrew' I get that feeling... :P

Lazar Taxon

Postby Lazar Taxon » 2011-02-16, 11:40

I'm a non-religious half-Jew, and I have an interest in Jewish culture and Israel. Also, I want to know a non-IE language with a non-Roman script, and Modern Hebrew seems easy compared to, say, Arabic or Chinese.
Native: [flag=]en-us[/flag] Good: [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] Okay: [flag=]de[/flag] [flag=]la[/flag] Beginning: [flag=]it[/flag] Interested in: [flag=]he[/flag] [flag=]hi[/flag] [flag=]ru[/flag]

Today we are cats in the apocalypse!

Kamila

Postby Kamila » 2011-05-19, 23:01

Probably I have no practical reasons. I'm just interested in jewish culture and hebrew language seems to be the most interesting thing :) It's beautiful and, similar to someone who posted before, I'm in love with it :) I regret not taking up learning it earlier. But better late than not at all :)
Native: Image
Advanced:Image
Still learning (and in love with): Image

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2011-05-25, 13:24

-see below-
Last edited by 0stsee on 2011-05-25, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ini tandatanganku.

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2011-05-25, 13:27

Lazar Taxon wrote:I'm a non-religious half-Jew, and I have an interest in Jewish culture and Israel. Also, I want to know a non-IE language with a non-Roman script, and Modern Hebrew seems easy compared to, say, Arabic or Chinese.

Me too!
Well, my mother's mother's mother was Jewish. So I wouldn't call myself a half-Jew. 8-)
Ini tandatanganku.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-05-31, 6:27

Ostsee, as far as we're concerned, you're all Jew.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Siegel

Postby Siegel » 2011-05-31, 11:41

you should change your nick to Ostjude
^^lol^^

PaulSh

Postby PaulSh » 2012-07-21, 14:14

For me hebrew is very similar to polish and other scalvic languages,
so for me easy to learnt it ,
:)

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2012-07-21, 15:20

Polish and Hebrew are not even close to be similar, are you troll, or just don`t know any Hebrew?
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

Plaas

Postby Plaas » 2012-07-21, 15:58

Let him do. I like conlangers ;)
- Plaas' vermannen

Voorzichtig weerom.

NulNuk

Postby NulNuk » 2012-07-21, 16:37

as long as he won`t troll, you can have hem. :0P
Every thing I write, wrote, or will write, its in my own opinion, for I have no other.
Release me from the duty of being polite and remind you, "I made use of my own brain".

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2013-05-07, 17:01

Two very simple reasons:

-I insanely love the way it sounds

-The Hebrew script is awesome.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-05-10, 10:51

הנושה זות ישן, אבל ראה ש חלץ קמה פעמים, אז אני גם אשה זות. אני רוצה לומד עברית כי:

1. התרבות ישראלית מאניינת אתי, והמיזרח תיכון בכך גם מאניין.
2. י רציתי ללמוד שפה לא הודו אירופאית, ובאוניברשיתא שלי רק היו עברית וערבית. חשבתי שאני רוצה ללמוד גם פורתגלית , אבל זה קל ללמוד בלי שאורים, אז אני אלמד בביתי בזמן חופשי ולא באניברשיתה.
3. אני שמוע רפ בעברית.
4. מאניינת אותי התחדשות השפה כמו שפת אם (אני אוהב הסוציו-בלשנות).

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-11, 0:04

I'll have to translate that for real later, but for now, Google Translate brought a few laughs. :lol:

I like your idea Saim, so I'll post in Hebrew myself later. :D

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”