Svet wrote:Okay, I tried. The most handsome men on this planet come from Israel. That's the reason...
Hit the nail on the head
For me, there were a plethora of reasons:
1. At the time, I figured my ancestors spoke Hebrew (most of them just spoke Yiddish, but whatever).
2. It sounds gorgeous, and it looks so good.
3. I love Israel.
4. Gorgeous men.
5. I love the Middle East culturally and as an economic powerhouse, but being gay means that I could not live openly and safely in anywhere but Israel.
6. Yehuda Amichai. Amos Oz. Elie Wiesel. Fiddler on the Roof. Essentially, the tradition of Jewish story telling through literature, poetry and (especially) drama that is being carried on in Israel in Hebrew.
7. My grandpa was very interested in genealogy, and had composed a really great family tree and had faxes and photocopies of all of the documents that helped him do this. After he died, we found them in his stuff, but no one could read them because they were in a crazy mixture of English, German, Yiddish and Hebrew. So Hebrew lets me read them
8. I LOVE ISRAELI MUSIC.