Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Moderator: Babelfish

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 8806
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-06, 19:38

Excellent.

I admit I was a little skeptical about it's usefulness as a self-study book, but their companion website has a ton of helpful stuff, including answer keys! Apparently even translations to the exercise instructions can be found there. All of this is a huge plus.

if you had to approximate the level the textbook gets you too on the CEFR scale, what would it be? A2? B1?

Lemanensis
Posts: 266
Joined: 2008-09-09, 13:09
Real Name: Martin Ecott
Gender: male
Location: Geneva
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby Lemanensis » 2017-06-20, 20:59

księżycowy wrote:if you had to approximate the level the textbook gets you too on the CEFR scale, what would it be? A2? B1?


I don't know what the requirements are for the CEFR scale, in terms of actual grammar and number of words of vocabulary. I think I calculated that Routledge was about 1200 to 1500 words (depending on what you include), and that isn't so very much. It still leaves you with lots of gap, and though the grammar goes quite far, it's a long way from being complete.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 8806
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-20, 21:03

Would you describe it as getting you to an "intermediate" understanding of the language then? It seems so from what you've said there.

Lemanensis
Posts: 266
Joined: 2008-09-09, 13:09
Real Name: Martin Ecott
Gender: male
Location: Geneva
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby Lemanensis » 2017-06-21, 16:26

księżycowy wrote:Would you describe it as getting you to an "intermediate" understanding of the language then? It seems so from what you've said there.


Yes.
Actually when I was in Haifa U for the intensive ulpan there was one of the author's students in my class and who had only studied with that book. Now, I have to say that she didn't appear to be a born linguist. However, she did have a solid grounding that enabled her to join the class. The range in the class was about 3 different levels and I would say that the lowest level was dalet, but even within dalet you get quite a large range.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 8806
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-21, 16:43

I can safely say I have no knowledge of the different levels in the ulpan system of Israel (dalet or otherwise), and what that equates to in other level systems. But I think I understand enough from what you're said.

Thanks! :D I think I'll be using this book for my studies in Modern Hebrew. Once I get a good foundation in Biblical that is.

Lemanensis
Posts: 266
Joined: 2008-09-09, 13:09
Real Name: Martin Ecott
Gender: male
Location: Geneva
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby Lemanensis » 2017-06-21, 22:01

księżycowy wrote:I can safely say I have no knowledge of the different levels in the ulpan system of Israel (dalet or otherwise), and what that equates to in other level systems. But I think I understand enough from what you're said.

Thanks! :D I think I'll be using this book for my studies in Modern Hebrew. Once I get a good foundation in Biblical that is.


The system goes from Aleph to Vav, though perhaps in uneven steps. Vav meaning high fluency.

Certainly Routledge is as good as any, and better than most, I would say.
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

User avatar
księżycowy
Posts: 8806
Joined: 2006-09-13, 23:51
Real Name: Paweł
Gender: male
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby księżycowy » 2017-06-21, 23:06

Definately seems like it would give me a damn good start at the least. :wink:

HoneyBuzzard
Posts: 454
Joined: 2009-04-18, 11:08

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2017-07-09, 3:27

Proverbs 11:31
הֵ֣ן צַ֭דִּיק בָּאָ֣רֶץ יְשֻׁלָּ֑ם אַ֝֗ף כִּֽי־רָשָׁ֥ע וְחוֹטֵֽא׃


יְשֻׁלָּם is pual imperfect 3. masc sg., but why is the vowel in the second syllable qāmeṣ? Is it because the corresponding (stative) qal has sērê, שָׁלֵם? Or is it because the word carries eṯnaḥtā (i.e., it's in pause)?

I thought it was because of eṯnaḥtā, but then I saw הִטַּמָּא (qal טָמֵא), which seems to show the same thing. Of course here it could be due to the aleph.

User avatar
Drink
Posts: 42
Joined: 2017-05-03, 18:46
Gender: male
Location: New England
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby Drink » 2017-07-09, 15:20

HoneyBuzzard wrote:Proverbs 11:31
הֵ֣ן צַ֭דִּיק בָּאָ֣רֶץ יְשֻׁלָּ֑ם אַ֝֗ף כִּֽי־רָשָׁ֥ע וְחוֹטֵֽא׃


יְשֻׁלָּם is pual imperfect 3. masc sg., but why is the vowel in the second syllable qāmeṣ? Is it because the corresponding (stative) qal has sērê, שָׁלֵם? Or is it because the word carries eṯnaḥtā (i.e., it's in pause)?

I thought it was because of eṯnaḥtā, but then I saw הִטַּמָּא (qal טָמֵא), which seems to show the same thing. Of course here it could be due to the aleph.


It is because it is in pausal position. And in הטמא it's because of the א.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

HoneyBuzzard
Posts: 454
Joined: 2009-04-18, 11:08

Re: Discussion Group for General Hebrew Questions

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2017-07-11, 9:37

That makes sense. Thank you.


Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest