몇 가지 질문

linguoboy
몇 가지 질문

Postby linguoboy » 2018-01-30, 17:22

I thought this forum could use a thread for general questions. Feel free to rename it.

한국어로 쓰지 않은 것이 후회돼 but I'm so rusty it would take forever. In any case, I was leaving a restaurant the other day and I said, "재미 많이 보십시오!" I was taught that this is a conventional thing to say and that, even though in other contexts it would mean "Have fun!", here it means something like "Hope you're busy!"

However, the young (college-age) employee behind the counter was flummoxed. They'd apparently never heard this expression before and wondered if it might be something really outdated. I learned my Korean 30 years ago from a professor who was no spring chicken herself, so maybe it is? 어떻게 생각해요?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Karavinka

Re: 몇 가지 질문

Postby Karavinka » 2018-01-30, 18:01

I can understand if the younger generation never heard this before, especially if they are in North America. 재미를 보다 itself is still used occasionally (or so I think) to mean 'to have good business, enjoying profit' but I think it's fallen out of use as a greeting formula.

zzzpeak

Re: 몇 가지 질문

Postby zzzpeak » 2019-12-23, 20:18

No, I've never heard of it. I would understand what you mean, but I would never use it.

Return to “Korean (한국어)”