Korean language study group?

linguoboy
Re: Korean language study group?

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-22, 17:24

Lutrinae wrote:First is the radical, second its description (and name of it?), and third the sound it has in Korean. Then the English is a description of the Chinese character, but not related to Korean.

The names of the columns read: 부수[*] "radical" 부수이름 "radical name" and 부수뜻 "radical meaning". So the first column gives the radical, the second the Korean name--which consists of the a descriptive name (either referring to the shape of the radical or its meaning) followed by its most common Sino-Korean pronunciation--and the third an English name of the radical (which, as Yasna says, is not standardised in the same way as the Korean names).

In a few cases, the "Korean" name of the radical is actually Sino-Korean and contains the name of the radical itself. For instance, the Korean name of Kangxi radical 194, (commonly called the "ghost" radical in English) is 귀신 귀, where 귀신 represents Sino-Korean 鬼神. (In Classical Chinese, this was a collective meaning "ghosts and spirits" but Sino-Korean 귀신 just means "ghost".) This is even more common with ordinary hanja, some of which appear in only one or two commonly-used Sino-Korean words.

[*] 部首.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-01-23, 10:52

Thank you @linguoboy!
Thanks for any correction :)

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-10, 8:39

Here I have "the character pronounced 을 which looks like a 새" and it says that 새 is hook. But anywhere I looked it says that 새 means bird (or different meanings (interstice, gap, dark, new) but never "hook")

What am I missing?

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2020-02-10, 15:11

Lutrinae wrote:Image

Here I have "the character pronounced 을 which looks like a 새" and it says that 새 is hook. But anywhere I looked it says that 새 means bird (or different meanings (interstice, gap, dark, new) but never "hook")

What am I missing?

It's usually described as the shape of a bird's breast.

This is the radical usually described as a hook (갈고리):

Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-10, 19:58

Yasna wrote:It's usually described as the shape of a bird's breast.

This is the radical usually described as a hook (갈고리):

I can't see the pictures :/

So 새 really means "bird"?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-10, 20:20

Lutrinae wrote:So 새 really means "bird"?

As you say, it has many meanings. "Bird" is one of them, as in the names of radicals 172 隹 (새 추) and radical 196 鳥 (새 조).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-10, 20:27

And here I thought that studying hanjas would make my life easier :D

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-10, 20:32

Lutrinae wrote:And here I thought that studying hanjas would make my life easier :D

We never even bothered learning the names in my first-year Korean class. There wasn't really any need to talk about the radicals explicitly.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-10, 20:44

linguoboy wrote:
Lutrinae wrote:And here I thought that studying hanjas would make my life easier :D

We never even bothered learning the names in my first-year Korean class. There wasn't really any need to talk about the radicals explicitly.

Yes it makes sense. Tbh I didn't confused as much about the meaning/description of the radical than about if I was to re-use 새 in a totally different context would it mean hook or bird :lol:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-02-10, 21:13

Lutrinae wrote:Yes it makes sense. Tbh I didn't confused as much about the meaning/description of the radical than about if I was to re-use 새 in a totally different context would it mean hook or bird :lol:

Just for fun, I searched "새" on this site: http://dic.impact.pe.kr/ecmaster-cgi/search.cgi?kwd=%BB%F5&bool=and&word=yes. Usage examples are at the bottom of the page. As you can see, most of them demonstrate the meaning "new", e.g.:

아빠가 컴퓨터를 사 주셨다. "My dad bought me a new computer."
친구들을 사귀고 싶다. "I want to have new friends."

There are a few instances of "bird", mostly in proverbial sayings:

낮말은 새가 듣고 밤말은 쥐가 듣는다. "Walls have ears." (Lit. "Day-talk, bird hears it and evening talk, rat hears it.")
일찍 일어난 가 먹이를 잡는다. "The early bird catches the worm (lit. "food")."

The only instance of "gap" or "interval" I see is this one:

눈 코 뜰 새 없어요.

Literally, this is something like "Time to blink doesn't exist", i.e. "I'm so busy that I don't even have time to blink".

So, yeah, I can't really say what the meaning of 새 is without knowing the context.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2020-02-28, 12:12

If I have a list of vocabulary and I want to title it "Class/Course vocabulary", is this the correct way?

강좌의 단어

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-10-28, 0:59

Lutrinae wrote:Here I have "the character pronounced 을 which looks like a 새" and it says that 새 is hook. But anywhere I looked it says that 새 means bird (or different meanings (interstice, gap, dark, new) but never "hook")

What am I missing?

乙 is commonly given as 새 을, where 새 is the semantic and 을 is the phonetics. This is a radical of its own, and the semantic '새' is indeed "bird" in this context. The character is sometimes interpreted as '굽을 을', with 굽을(hooked, curved). If you look closely, the character somewhat resembles graphically a hook.

If I have a list of vocabulary and I want to title it "Class/Course vocabulary", is this the correct way?

강좌의 단어

Grammatically, yes. Idiomatically, no.

Lutrinae

Postby Lutrinae » 2022-11-27, 11:44

Karavinka wrote:

강좌의 단어

Grammatically, yes. Idiomatically, no.

So what would be the correct way ?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2022-11-27, 18:28

새로운 단어 new words
신규 단어 new words
한국어 단어 Korean words

There could be multiple options but "course vocabulary" is simply pragmatically wrong, i.e. nobody phrases it that way. If you're given a handout or a textbook with a list of vocabulary, you'd be given "new words", if the list is to encompass the entire course glossary then it's probably something like 단어 목록 word list or 단어 색인 word index, or something like that.

Return to “Korean (한국어)”