Meaning of -ㄴ데, 다고, and a few other things....

eddeux
Meaning of -ㄴ데, 다고, and a few other things....

Postby eddeux » 2011-03-26, 18:00

I've seen -ㄴ데 many times before, but I wonder what is its use? Like I've heard some people say it could mean something along the lines of "but", but is it sort of flexible in usage?

Next, 다고 what is it used for? Like in this sentence, 사랑하면 결혼할 수 있다고 생각합니까?
I saw this on another thread, and wrote it down, but accidentally deleted the link so I need it explained again.

And the use of (으)러 & 서 I get them confused. Does 러describe action, like "in order to do something".. An example, 우유를 사러 시장에 가요..If that makes sense.

And for 서, well isn't it like you did/do ___ and because of that ___ happens/happened? (Best I can describe). an example 많이 소주를 마셔서 늦게 잤어요.

Last for now, how do I use 기 때문에?

Thanks, 갑사합니다...
Eleanor Roosevelt once said, "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
Learning: (ja)(ko)Yorùbá (yo)
Dabbing: (fr)
Interested: Swahili (sw)(zh)

Karavinka

Re: Meaning of -ㄴ데, 다고, and a few other things....

Postby Karavinka » 2011-03-28, 12:48

...는데 ...다. is used for expressing causal or consecutive actions. The first ...는데 would describe what happened before, and ...다 would be the result or following event. It's like "it's like I went there... (갔는데) and this guy came (왔다)."

...다고 is used in reported/indirect speech. Actually, "결혼할 수 있다" is a full sentence by itself, and -고 adds the element of the indirect speech. So, the sentence would be: "(some people say that one) can marry if (one) loves, do you think so?" A better example would be something like: "그가 왔다고 들었다" I heard (some people saying that) he came.

Your understanding of -러 and -서 seems to be correct.

...기 때문에 is another way of saying "because ..."

Return to “Korean (한국어)”