Correct Usage Assistance

Cen-Sin
Correct Usage Assistance

Postby Cen-Sin » 2011-01-18, 22:36

I've got some items that I'd like to translate and expose myself to daily to help me learn. In this case, I'm keeping an appointment book or contact list with the following phrases and translations:
Intended English MeaningKoreanKorean with HanjaJapanese with KanjiComments
List of Phone Numbers,
Phone Numbers,
Contacts
전화번호부電話番號簿電話番號帳I've had no trouble with this, but I'm unsure if there is a better term.
Creation Date,
Date Created
만든날짜,
작성날짜
만든날짜,
作成날짜
作成日Apparently, there is a native Korean version which is used by the Windows 7 interface, but there's also an alternative.
Entry Added,
Entry Added Date
추가날짜追加날짜追加日
Phone Number전화번호電話番號電話番號
Name이름이름名前Is there a formal term in Korean using hanja?
Date of First Appointment,
First Appointment Date
첫번째약속첫番째約束最初の約束I've heard 約束 used in the context of promises between friends and loved ones, but only in the sense of appointment-making in Cantonese.
Date Registered,
Registration Date,
Member Since…
회원가입날짜,
회원가입시기
會員加入날짜,
會員加入時期
會員登錄日The Korean might be a bit odd since I made the phrase by combining 會員加入 and 날짜 based on previous usages of the -날짜 pattern. Some websites use the second one. I eliminated 會員加入日期 and 會員加入日.
Rank,
Position,
Level
등급等級等級This is used in the sense of position or rank within an organization where members rise based on accomplishments. The accomplishments are quantified and directly correlates with the rank so I chose a Korean term that was used on a gaming site and used the same term for the Japanese; the Japanese alternative was レーティング which is an English loanword that comes from rating.

As you can see, I've also added a Japanese category as I would like the translations to share as much in common as possible while still maintaining its familiarity with the native ears. The preference is towards using hanja/kanji (traditional-only) whenever permissible. Google Search in combination with Google Translate is currently able to help me find the many different translations of a single phrase and observe how others use the translations on the native sites, but I can't be absolutely certain that I'm using the words the right way.

Any input on what I've done is appreciated!

Karavinka

Re: Correct Usage Assistance

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-18, 23:56

1. 전화번호부: this is fine. I can't think of a ready alternative either.
2. 만든날짜, 작성날짜: Japanese-style '작성일' is fine and a good alternative.
3. 추가날짜: likewise, '추가일' is a good alternative.
4. 전화번호: fine, nothing to comment on.
5. 이름: while '이름' is okay and commonly-used, '성명姓名' is a formal alternative.
6. 약속: the word is used for appointments/meetings, though in a bit casual way. if you're making an appointment with a doctor, that's a 예약 but if you can't come to lunch because you're booked by another friend already, then it's a 약속.
7. 회원가입날짜: again, 가입일 would be okay as well.
8. 등급: okay.

Cen-Sin

Postby Cen-Sin » 2011-01-19, 0:36

Thanks Karavinka! This helps a lot. If there's more, would you suggest reusing this thread or making a new one?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-19, 5:10

Cen-Sin wrote:Thanks Karavinka! This helps a lot. If there's more, would you suggest reusing this thread or making a new one?

Well I guess it's customary to use existing threads for further questions/discussions...

Cen-Sin

Postby Cen-Sin » 2011-01-20, 6:28

Playing around with word ordering… My intention is to produce two different translations that are preferably valid in both Korean and Japanese: green leaves; and leaf green (the color of leaves).
InputGoogle TranslationComments
green leaves신록,
新綠
I have no idea why capitalization changes the translation output (see next translation), but the dictionary defines 新綠 as "fresh verdure" or "tender (fresh) green."
Green leaves녹색 잎,
綠色잎
This is the translation that I believe makes the most sense to the average Korean. Google offers alternatives for 잎 (such as 나뭇잎) but they're just more specific variants.
Green leaf초록 잎,
草綠잎
This is a bit closer to what I'm looking for, specifically 草綠 (grass green) which I'm hoping will justify 葉緑 as a valid word or phrase for leaf green.
green leaf녹색의 잎,
綠色의잎
What's interesting here is the addition of the possessive particle 의. Were all of the above just examples of phrases where 의 was implicit and omitted for brevity?
녹 잎,
綠잎
Leaf GreenThis doesn't make sense. I thought adjectives come before the nouns they describe.
녹 엽,
緑葉
Leaf Green(see above)
녹의 엽,
緑의葉
Leaf rustThe translation was not exactly what I expected, but it was worth a try anyway. It's structure matches the Japanese translation though.
녹색 엽,
綠色葉
Green LeafThe addition of 色 appears to switch the word order around in the translation, but 色 doesn't appear to be used in Japanese.
엽 록,
葉緑
Leaf greenFor a translation of "leaf green," this is probably exactly what I'm looking for (at least in Korean anyway).
green leaves緑の葉This translation appears to be ideal.
green leaf緑色の葉Oddly, the singular form adds 色 to the translation. Is there an actual difference in meaning between this translation and the above one in Japanese?
緑葉Green leafIs the omission of the possessive particle permissible in Japanese?
緑色葉Green Leaf
Green leaves
What is the function of 色 anyway? It's a word that's frequently omitted in Cantonese when describing the color of objects, but used when naming the color itself.
葉緑ChloroplastDoes this refer to a plant cell's chloroplast in Korean also?
葉の緑Green leavesAs with one of the previous translations, I thought this would turn out to be "leaf green."

It would appear there are many different combinations of characters that translate to make different meanings, but based on my gut feeling, I would go with 緑의葉 and 緑の葉 for "green leaves," but I have no guesstimate for "leaf green." Is there even a term for "leaf green," or is it a cumbersome phrase?

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2011-01-21, 4:39

1. 신록, 녹잎, 녹의 엽, 엽록, 녹색엽: not used. 엽록 is used as a part of the word 엽록소(chlorophyll), plant substance used for photosynthesis.
2. 녹색 잎, 녹색의 잎: possible, but awkward.
3. "푸른" is an alternative option as well. This color word covers both blue and green. Koreans say "파란 불" in referring to green in the traffic light, and "푸른 초원" likewise for "green grass field."
4. "잎" is not terribly common by itself. cf. "나뭇잎" (tree-leaf, more common) or "잎사귀" (leaf-blade, more poetic)
5. You can't always assume there will be a phrasing acceptable in both Korean and Japanese. "緑의葉" could have been acceptable if it came from the colonial government text. Mind you, the document you posted in another thread reads extremely awkward in Korean even in 1930s standards (I read a lot of literature from that precise period).

Cen-Sin

Postby Cen-Sin » 2011-01-23, 13:28

Karavinka wrote:5. You can't always assume there will be a phrasing acceptable in both Korean and Japanese. "緑의葉" could have been acceptable if it came from the colonial government text. Mind you, the document you posted in another thread reads extremely awkward in Korean even in 1930s standards (I read a lot of literature from that precise period).

Well, thank you for your feedback, and pardon my ignorance. I guess I got carried away with finding things that are the same with both, and I'm not well acquainted with either; a very similar grammar shouldn't equate to an equally similar vocabulary.

So with that said…
Karavinka wrote:1. 신록, 녹잎, 녹의 엽, 엽록, 녹색엽: not used. 엽록 is used as a part of the word 엽록소(chlorophyll), plant substance used for photosynthesis.
2. 녹색 잎, 녹색의 잎: possible, but awkward.

I supposed there are even words in the dictionary that aren't used (신록). And I'm familiar with 엽록소 as a scientific term since I've heard it in Cantonese often.

Karavinka wrote:3. "푸른" is an alternative option as well. This color word covers both blue and green. Koreans say "파란 불" in referring to green in the traffic light, and "푸른 초원" likewise for "green grass field."
4. "잎" is not terribly common by itself. cf. "나뭇잎" (tree-leaf, more common) or "잎사귀" (leaf-blade, more poetic)

:D

Return to “Korean (한국어)”