Pronouncing tense consonants

beirut_bolivian

Pronouncing tense consonants

Postby beirut_bolivian » 2009-11-25, 23:56

Hi guys,

I did a search in this forum but I couldn't find a post on this topic. I've found stuff that says that they are actually geminated. Now I know what Arabic and Italian geminates sound like so I'm suspicious of this description. And how are Korean tense consonants different from unaspirated consonants in Spanish? Can someone provide a phonetic description of the tense consonants? I'm having a hard time reproducing them.

Layth

'''

Re: Pronouncing tense consonants

Postby ''' » 2009-11-26, 10:21

I know someone who did work with Korean and said he couldn't hear them unless he was specifically listening for them but that you could hear the brunt of it on the vowel. In either case they're not geminate.

This has been bothering me for some time too so I'll keep an eye out for this thread.

wiki wrote:The Korean consonants also have elements of stiff voice1, but it is not yet known how typical this is of faucalized2 consonants. They are produced with a partially constricted glottis and additional subglottal pressure in addition to tense vocal tract walls, laryngeal lowering, or other expansion of the larynx.

1The term stiff voice describes the pronunciation of consonants with a glottal opening narrower, and the vocal cords stiffer, than what occurs in modal voice.

2Faucalized voice, also called hollow or yawny voice, is the production of speech sounds with an expanded laryngeal cavity. It contrasts with harsh voice, in which the larynx is compressed.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

Return to “Korean (한국어)”