Hangeul without initial circles?

Osias
Re: Hangeul without initial circles?

Postby Osias » 2022-11-29, 0:15

linguoboy wrote:But languages aren't machines or software

I actually think I understand languages better now, after years of working with software and seeing with my own eyes how the projects evolve over time and become "a mess". I started to see every language as a legacy system that several people maintained and modified and improved and tried to simplify at the same thing thousands of users were still using it and didn't give a damn. And everything makes sense now.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Re: Hangeul without initial circles?

Postby linguoboy » 2022-11-29, 22:57

Karavinka wrote:Whether the initial ㅇ is used or not depended on who proposed it. The top one keeps it, the bottom two drop it. It should also be noted that these early 20C proposals were later rejected by the people who made them in the first place: Ju for example was a key linguist and lexicographer who laid the foundation of Modern Standard Korean grammar and orthography, where he used the combined/featural writing instead.

Thank you for this. I'd only ever seen one of these proposals before. I remembered that the debate didn't last long so I'm surprised at the diversity of the proposed scripts.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Korean (한국어)”