Korean language study group?

aforl
Posts: 104
Joined: 2012-04-26, 18:15
Real Name: aforl
Gender: male
Country: SG Singapore (Singapore / 新加坡 / Singapura)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby aforl » 2014-05-25, 3:58

Lutrinae wrote:
Aku mau makan, yes, definitely one of the first thing I learn in any language :lol: (reminds me I should learn it in Korean ^^)

Thanks for the correction in english :oops: I don't know why I keep learning other languages when I can't even masterize ONE of them!!

Anyway, I will remember this 나/이나 :) . Can it also be used with a verb?
I don't know why I wrote 전은 instead of 저는 !!


Feels weird when I'm asking someone from France a question about Malay when I'm a Singaporean.... But what's mau as in Aku mau makan? :oops:

No worries, it's nearly impossible to get to a "native" level. Just try your best and keep practising, be it English or Korean!

Verbs uses 거나.
방학 때 저는 아르바이트를 하거나 여행갈 거예요.
I will do a part-time work or go for a vacation during the holidays.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]zh[/flag][flag=]tw[/flag]
B1/B2: [flag=]ko[/flag]
A1: [flag=]yue.Hant[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ms[/flag]
TAC 2014 (II): [flag=]es[/flag][flag=]ko[/flag]

User avatar
Lutrinae
Posts: 104
Joined: 2010-09-13, 2:08
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby Lutrinae » 2014-05-25, 9:42

aforl wrote:
Feels weird when I'm asking someone from France a question about Malay when I'm a Singaporean.... But what's mau as in Aku mau makan? :oops:

No worries, it's nearly impossible to get to a "native" level. Just try your best and keep practising, be it English or Korean!

Verbs uses 거나.
방학 때 저는 아르바이트를 하거나 여행갈 거예요.
I will do a part-time work or go for a vacation during the holidays.



감사합니다 :)

Mau : want. The spelling might be bad since I did not practice for a long time but I think it's ok ^^

It was one of my fav language to learn, because I loved how it sounds and it's fairly easy if you have vocabulary.
Thanks for any correction :)

User avatar
Lutrinae
Posts: 104
Joined: 2010-09-13, 2:08
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby Lutrinae » 2014-06-05, 11:11

안녕하세요!

I just saw this Korean speech contest, you could win a round trip ticket to Korea and 6 days visit :)
Thanks for any correction :)

User avatar
Lutrinae
Posts: 104
Joined: 2010-09-13, 2:08
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby Lutrinae » 2019-10-20, 20:14

안녕하세요?

So, I am back on my Korean studies and I am learning time and date for now.

I am getting confused with the difference between 오전 and 아침; and 오후, 낮 and 점심.

If I understood it correctly, 오전 and 오후 are used like AM and PM, like literally from midnight to midday and midday to midnight.
But should they be only used when talking about time?

And then what is the difference between 낮 and 점심?

고맙슴니다!
Thanks for any correction :)

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23396
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby linguoboy » 2019-10-21, 20:59

Lutrinae wrote:I am getting confused with the difference between 오전 and 아침; and 오후, 낮 and 점심.

If I understood it correctly, 오전 and 오후 are used like AM and PM, like literally from midnight to midday and midday to midnight. But should they be only used when talking about time?

They can, but not everywhere where one can use 아침 and 저녁. So I might say 오전 내내 시간이 있습니다. "I'm free all morning" but 나는 아침마다 조깅합니다. I guess the difference is that in the first case, you're trying to negotiate a specific time to meet. (In English, you could also say "I'm free in the a.m.".) In the latter, you just mean at some time in the morning.

Lutrinae wrote:And then what is the difference between 낮 and 점심?

낮 refers to the period of daylight as opposed to the period of darkness. It can also mean "midday" in expressions like 낮참 "lunch" (lit. "daytime eating").

점심 just means lunch. It's cognate with Chinese 點心 "snack" and thus also US English dim sum "dumplings eaten at a restaurant around midday".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
Lutrinae
Posts: 104
Joined: 2010-09-13, 2:08
Country: RO Romania (România)

Re: Korean language study group?

Postby Lutrinae » 2019-10-22, 9:35

linguoboy wrote:
Lutrinae wrote:And then what is the difference between 낮 and 점심?

낮 refers to the period of daylight as opposed to the period of darkness. It can also mean "midday" in expressions like 낮참 "lunch" (lit. "daytime eating").

점심 just means lunch.


Really, midday? In the lesson I am following (Coursera - Yonsei Uni) they use them as afternoon. At least 오후 and 낮, and then I found somewhere else about 점심.

I am even more confused now :shock:

linguoboy wrote:It's cognate with Chinese 點心 "snack" and thus also US English dim sum "dumplings eaten at a restaurant around midday".


Thank you, I like the explanation around the meaning of a word, it makes it easier to memorize :D
Thanks for any correction :)


Return to “Korean (한국어)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest