Material to learn Icelandic

geranio

Material to learn Icelandic

Postby geranio » 2005-05-29, 12:29

I decided to start learning Icelandic, but material is very scarce. I bought the "Teach Yourself Icelandic" at a second-hand bookshop, but it is an old edition I think, with just grammar and no dialogues, there is a newer edition I think which includes something more than grammar rules. By the way, I also found out that the Colloquial series by Routlege have issued a course for Icelandic, has anyone got this course, which comes with audio CDs, and can tell me his or her opinion?. Thanks in advance.

uilux

Postby uilux » 2005-05-29, 15:23

I think the new edition of "Teach yourself Icelandic" by Hildur Jonsdottir is very good.
It teaches you a lot about oral language.

Malcolm

Postby Malcolm » 2005-05-29, 19:14

I saw the new TY icelandic, looks okay, but it's very TYish... If it's like all TY, the tapes will be hard to handle as they speak very fast.
I have Colloquial Icelandic. It's okay sort of... But very much based on economy and business, as they assume that only businessmen would learn such a freaky language. Loads of useless words will be learnt, and the situtions are rather absurd , eg a Greek (Aleko), an Italian (Luigi) and a Jap (can't remember her name) speak Icelandic to each other. Ridiculous.
The main charater is some Canadian called Raj with a very complicated Indian name and comes from Winipeg Manitoba.... Ridiculous
You may think it's just a detail. But why give such complicated useless infos on the characters? Why isn't the main character just called John roberts from New York?

moonflower

I agree

Postby moonflower » 2005-05-30, 9:10

I noticed to that there is almost nothing on books to learn icelandic. It's a shame actually. But that's why i'm looking for a person who speeks icelandic, someone from iceland or something. I hope that there is someone! Good luck to you!

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2005-06-02, 6:50

Malcolm wrote:The main charater is some Canadian called Raj with a very complicated Indian name and comes from Winipeg Manitoba.... Ridiculous

That's cause most of the Icelanders outside of Iceland live here, in Winnipeg. I'm studying Icelandic at the university. The best advice I can give you is the buy the Teach yourself Icelandic (forgot the author). It's dry, but it's absolutely essential to get a grounding in the grammar of Icelandic in the beginning, since there is so much of it. :P

The other suggestions I can give are online sources, such as online courses (through U of Iceland, or another credible source), tv channels, and the online mailing list, yahoo Icelandic group. I'll give you the sources if you're interested. Just mail me or post here..

Til hamingju með allt,

Bestu kveðju,

Gormur

einhar

Re: Material

Postby einhar » 2005-08-19, 12:49

geranio wrote:I decided to start learning Icelandic, but material is very scarce. I bought the "Teach Yourself Icelandic" at a second-hand bookshop, but it is an old edition I think, with just grammar and no dialogues, there is a newer edition I think which includes something more than grammar rules. By the way, I also found out that the Colloquial series by Routlege have issued a course for Icelandic, has anyone got this course, which comes with audio CDs, and can tell me his or her opinion?. Thanks in advance.

The Univesity of Reykjavik and the publisher Edda have made an agreement to write and publish a Spanish/Icelandic dictonary.
http://thi.is/?PageID=65&NewsID=234

Return to “Icelandic (Íslenska)”