Struggle with Translation

Ole Vikeså
Struggle with Translation

Postby Ole Vikeså » 2005-03-31, 2:19

Hæ öll sömul,

I've been learning Icelandic for a while, and have been trying to translate various phrases, articles, and letters. I'm currently trying to write someone who was a friend of the friend mine at home, and now studying in her home of Iceland. It's quite a brief note to her. If anyone can translate, I would very much appreciate that. I really like learning this way - translating text. That's how I learnt English. If anybody wants help with some Norwegian, don't hesitate to ask. ;)

Anyway, here it is:

Hæjó Tinna, hvað er titt?

Fyrirgefðu mér að ég var svo dularfullur. I didn't take time to explain my situation clearly; Ég hef verið að læra við Manitoba háskóla fyrir 3 (þrjú?) árum. My first year I studied Music, then became sick w/Candida overgrowth (ger ofvöxtur eða gróðurþekja?). I didn't do well in the programme - The programme is very competitive, and I had 8 courses per week, with approx 4-5 courses per day. My marks were low, and I passed half of the courses. :P

Since then, I've been slowly but surely recovering. My makrs have been as well! I've been taking Arts courses - mannfræði, málvísindi, rússneska, japanska, íslenska, o.þ.h. - and I continue violin lessons and playing for various occasions around the city, earning some extra money, which will likely go towards paying off my substantial loan. :)

My mum sent the parcel (CV/essay & transcript) to LHI, since she had to get my highschool transcript in TN, where my parents now live (and where I went to Highschool). The courier/postal service is generally better in the States, but apparently, not always the best. I just hope the next parcel arrives safely and on time in Iceland. :)

What was your exam in? Hope you did well. Good luck with all of your courses, in whatever it is that you study. I hope you understand all of this…

Við sjáumst, your friend,

Ole Vikeså

Re: Struggle with Translation

Postby Guest » 2005-04-11, 1:00

Ole,
Why are you learning Icelandic? I'm just curious. I have Icelandic relatives and I was wondering if you could help me w/ learning Icelandic. :D

remi25

Postby remi25 » 2005-08-20, 0:37

Can someone help me to translate these 2 sentences in Icelandic :

- No refund
- We'll be back in a moment

Thanx!

einhar

Postby einhar » 2005-08-20, 17:02

remi25 wrote:Can someone help me to translate these 2 sentences in Icelandic :

- No refund = Engin endurgreiðsla
- We'll be back in a moment = Við komum aftur eftir augnablik

Thanx!