Orðabók

melinuxfool

Orðabók

Postby melinuxfool » 2009-10-05, 21:55

I just subscribed to ordabok.is for a year. So far, I like what I see. I have the Hippocrene concise dictionary, but it has no usage examples, and really doesn't have a lot of words. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the spelling was outdated as well, since it uses the letter z (íslenzka, for example) in Icelandic words.

Anyway, I'm so far glad to have paid for Orðabók. I think it will be worth it.

csjc

Re: Orðabók

Postby csjc » 2009-10-05, 22:22

The Hippocrene dictionary is, to say the least, not very useful. A friend bought it for me as a gift and it's fun to take a look through now and then and learn a couple new words, but not much aside from that. I think it was printed in the 60s, too, and some vocabulary is not so current (a word of warning). Ordabok.is is amazing, really. My subscription just ran out and I'm broke so I'm dealing with it for now, but I hope to buy a new subscription soon. :P 2.500 kr. is really quite a deal for a comprehensive dictionary with relevant expressions and modern terminology/slang.
[flag]en-ca[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]is[/flag]
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

melinuxfool

Postby melinuxfool » 2009-10-06, 18:03

csjc wrote:The Hippocrene dictionary is, to say the least, not very useful. A friend bought it for me as a gift and it's fun to take a look through now and then and learn a couple new words, but not much aside from that. I think it was printed in the 60s, too, and some vocabulary is not so current (a word of warning). Ordabok.is is amazing, really. My subscription just ran out and I'm broke so I'm dealing with it for now, but I hope to buy a new subscription soon. :P 2.500 kr. is really quite a deal for a comprehensive dictionary with relevant expressions and modern terminology/slang.

Yes indeed, I've already made use of orðabók a few times since signing up yesterday. The exchange rates are really in my favor as well. It cost less than 20 dollars U.S.

Egein

Postby Egein » 2010-02-23, 13:05

I've always just used:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/IcelOn ... .TEId.html

But nowadays I only use snara.is, which is like 15 dictionaries.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Dreki

Postby Dreki » 2010-02-23, 16:24

Egein wrote:I've always just used:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/IcelOn ... .TEId.html

But nowadays I only use snara.is, which is like 15 dictionaries.

That's the one I use as well, but it seems like some of them are outdated. How much does snara.is cost?
TAC- Focus: [flag]is[/flag] Also: Image

Egein

Postby Egein » 2010-02-23, 18:28

It's free for me. But I think it's very very cheap.
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

SvartiVíkingurinn

Postby SvartiVíkingurinn » 2011-08-04, 4:07

How do I pay for a subscribe with an American currency to the Icelandic website www.ordabok.is that asks for IsKronur? Sometimes I look up some different Icelandic dictionary onlines which some words are unavailable. It is kind of frustrating. Thanks.

Return to “Icelandic (Íslenska)”