Indefinite pronouns in genitive.

Moderator:kevin

R@re!
Indefinite pronouns in genitive.

Postby R@re! » 2020-03-27, 17:06

Could the indefinite pronouns in genitive (jeder, mehrere, mancher, kein, etc.) be used to express possession? Do they accompany verbs that require the genitive? Could they be used to make formal statements like in the case of personal pronouns?
I have been searching the Web and I couldn't manage to find an example of a sentence with an indefinite pronoun in genitive nor what they are used for. I would very much appreciate if you could show me one or two examples.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Indefinite pronouns in genitive.

Postby kevin » 2020-03-27, 22:39

R@re! wrote:Could the indefinite pronouns in genitive (jeder, mehrere, mancher, kein, etc.) be used to express possession? Do they accompany verbs that require the genitive?

Yes for both.

Die Queen ist das Staatsoberhaupt mehrerer Staaten.
Müßiggang ist aller Laster Anfang.

Er nimmt sich jedes Anliegens an.
Es bedarf keiner langen Liste von Beispielen, um diesen Fall zu demonstrieren.

Could they be used to make formal statements like in the case of personal pronouns?

I'm not sure what you mean with "formal statements", but if personal pronouns can do it, chances are that indefinite pronouns can do it, too.

R@re!

Re: Indefinite pronouns in genitive.

Postby R@re! » 2020-03-28, 22:11

kevin wrote:
R@re! wrote:Could the indefinite pronouns in genitive (jeder, mehrere, mancher, kein, etc.) be used to express possession? Do they accompany verbs that require the genitive?

Yes for both.

Die Queen ist das Staatsoberhaupt mehrerer Staaten.
Müßiggang ist aller Laster Anfang.

Er nimmt sich jedes Anliegens an.
Es bedarf keiner langen Liste von Beispielen, um diesen Fall zu demonstrieren.

Could they be used to make formal statements like in the case of personal pronouns?

I'm not sure what you mean with "formal statements", but if personal pronouns can do it, chances are that indefinite pronouns can do it, too.

Thanks. Very informative response.

Return to “German (Deutsch)”