~jakip - Deutsch

Moderator:kevin

~jakip
~jakip - Deutsch

Postby ~jakip » 2020-01-21, 17:50

Hi everyone :)
I've started studying German at university last year. I hope to reach B1 level before summertime and
I'll need your help to achieve this goal! 8-)

In the meanwhile, I need a hand to understand what's written in there (it's from a PowerPoint slide by my teacher of German literature):

Statt dessen soll eine Distanzierung vom Dargestellten erreicht werden, die dem Zuschauer eine Interpretation ermöglicht und ihn zu Veränderungen erkannter Missstände anregt.

Thanks in advance!
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Lombard (lmo) Español (es) English (en) A2: Deutsch (de)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: ~jakip - Deutsch

Postby kevin » 2020-01-21, 18:43

Is it anything specific in that sentence that you're having trouble with?

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2020-01-21, 18:45

kevin wrote:Is it anything specific in that sentence that you're having trouble with?

Yes, almost the entire sentence :whistle:
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Lombard (lmo) Español (es) English (en) A2: Deutsch (de)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-22, 18:19

~jakip wrote:Statt dessen soll eine Distanzierung vom Dargestellten erreicht werden, die dem Zuschauer eine Interpretation ermöglicht und ihn zu Veränderungen erkannter Missstände anregt.

Well, as Mark Twain said, the first step to take in interpreting a German sentence is to go on a fishing expedition for the verb. This is a complex-compound sentence, so you have three clauses, two of them subordinate. Let's break that out:

Main clause: Statt dessen soll eine Distanzierung vom Dargestellten erreicht werden
Subordinate clauses: die dem Zuschauer eine Interpretation ermöglicht und ihn zu Veränderungen erkannter Missstände anregt

To make things a bit easier, I've highlighted the finite verbs in gold and the rest of the verb complex in red. I don't know if it would help you to rearrange them into a more familiar SVO order:

eine Distanzierung vom Dargestellten soll statt dessen erreicht werden
die [Distanzierung] ermöglicht dem Zuschauer eine Interpretation
die [Distanzierung] regt ihn [d.h. den Zuschauer] zu Veränderungen erkannter Missstände an.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2020-02-18, 14:36

Hallo!
Ich wollte euch fragen, wenn ihr euch einen Memes' Account auf Deutsch auskennt.
Vielen Dank im Voraus :mrgreen:

Return to “German (Deutsch)”