zu Beginn der E-Mail

Moderator:kevin

amirhossein
zu Beginn der E-Mail

Postby amirhossein » 2019-07-22, 7:07

Hallo,
which one of below sentences is true? if both is true, please tell me the meaning of them. (the position of them for starting SMS or Email)

1- Hallo Ihr Lieben,
2- Hallo meine Lieben,

thank you in advanced,

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: zu Beginn der E-Mail

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-18, 23:28

Both of them are apparently correct. The first literally means 'hello you loves', and the second literally means 'hello my loves'.

I think "Hallo ihr Lieben" is probably the most appropriate option. I would probably write "hallo allerseits."

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-02-19, 1:34

amirhossein wrote:Hallo,
which one of below sentences is true? if both is true, please tell me the meaning of them. (the position of them for starting SMS or Email)

1- Hallo Ihr Lieben,
2- Hallo meine Lieben,

thank you in advanced,

Two different ways of saying "hello, my dears". "Hallo, ihr Lieben" literally is "hello, your dears", which might sound a bit strange in English, but think of it as kind of like when you say "your Honor" to a judge or "your Highness" to royalty; the word "ihr" (your) is used in that manner to address the person, and in German it sounds fine, just as it does in those phrases in English.
"Hallo, meine Lieben" therefore means almost the same thing, but using the words "hello, my dears", more as we would typically do in English.
"Hallo allerseits" is "hello everyone", so you can use that with any group of people, whether or not you consider them "dear", and it sounds less intimate and more businesslike.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

awrui

Postby awrui » 2022-02-19, 12:22

Linguaphile wrote:"Hallo allerseits" is "hello everyone", so you can use that with any group of people, whether or not you consider them "dear", and it sounds less intimate and more businesslike.

None of them er business-like, they all are very informal ;)
For formal or business-like messages, you start with "Sehr geehrte Kolleginnen und Kollegen /Damen und Herren..." or a simple "Guten Tag".

When it comes to big letters in "Sie", "du", "ihr" etc.: Only "Sie" and other forms of this word are written with big letters. Forms of "du" and "ihr" use small letters.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-02-19, 15:06

awrui wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:"Hallo allerseits" is "hello everyone", so you can use that with any group of people, whether or not you consider them "dear", and it sounds less intimate and more businesslike.

None of them er business-like, they all are very informal ;)
For formal or business-like messages, you start with "Sehr geehrte Kolleginnen und Kollegen /Damen und Herren..." or a simple "Guten Tag".

Thanks for catching that, it was a such a poor choice of words. I wasn't thinking of "businesslike" in the sense if "official" or "for formal situations, used in a business setting" but rather in the sense of "unsentimental, not affected by emotions for the person." At the time I couldn't come up with a better word for that than "businesslike" (and didn't anticipate the confusion it could cause but you are absolutely right!). I guess the word I'm looking for here might be "more impersonal"?
I also thought I was replying to an active question and didn't notice how old the original post was. Oops again.
:doggy: :oops:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2022-02-19, 18:12

Linguaphile wrote:"Hallo, ihr Lieben" literally is "hello, your dears", which might sound a bit strange in English, but think of it as kind of like when you say "your Honor" to a judge or "your Highness" to royalty; the word "ihr" (your) is used in that manner to address the person, and in German it sounds fine, just as it does in those phrases in English.

"ihr" isn't possessive here, it's just plural "you". Just like English, we only actually have the possessive in cases like "Your Highness", which is "Eure Hoheit" in German.

"Hallo allerseits" is "hello everyone", so you can use that with any group of people, whether or not you consider them "dear", and it sounds less intimate and more businesslike.

"Hallo miteinander" is another option with essentially the same meaning.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-21, 2:52

Linguaphile wrote:I also thought I was replying to an active question and didn't notice how old the original post was. Oops again.
:doggy: :oops:

That was because I necroposted here, sorry!

Return to “German (Deutsch)”