German grammar book

Moderator:kevin

jeannot18
German grammar book

Postby jeannot18 » 2019-01-23, 16:50

Could anyone recommend a good German grammar book. I bought second hand Hammer's German Grammar and Usage (second edition). Though it is very thorough, they don't always translate the examples in English, and some of the explanation can be quite difficult for a beginner. I will probably use it more as I get better with the language. But in the meantime i would like something else that can help me. Any recommendation would be appreciated, thank you
J

linguoboy

Re: German grammar book

Postby linguoboy » 2019-01-23, 16:56

It's somewhat dated now, but the best German textbook I've ever used was German : a structural approach by Lohnes, Strothmann, and Petig. Their treatment of syntax is terrific and really helped me get a grasp for the structure of the language. I don't know Hammer's book so unfortunately I can't say how it compares.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

jeannot18

Re: German grammar book

Postby jeannot18 » 2019-01-24, 18:30

Thanks Linguoboy, i went to Amazon at the end and bought German Grammar Collins easy learning. It had pretty good reviews, was cheap (!) and it's not too heavy to carry so I can take it with me when I go out and I know i will have time to study.
Thanks for the recommendation though, but i think it would have been still too much for my current level
J

Return to “German (Deutsch)”