translating WWI leaflet

Moderator:kevin

TomFuller
translating WWI leaflet

Postby TomFuller » 2018-09-13, 15:17

Hi. I am Tom from Lubbock, Texas, and this is my first post. I studied German in high school and college, but have never used it as a conversational language. Now I'm trying to translate an allied leaflet dropped on Germans in World War I. My grandfather included this in a letter he wrote home. With the help of an Internet translation page I have gotten most of it. However, some of it is still baffling. Especially the second short paragraph. I came up with "Already a large part of their Army in March and April overruns boundaries of the agreement" but that doesn't sound exactly right. It is attached. Can anyone help me? I'm copying his letters to send to family and others who are interested in The Great War. Thank you! TnT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Car
Forum Administrator

Re: translating WWI leaflet

Postby Car » 2018-09-13, 15:36

You're sure you managed to read everything well and don't need any help with that? I'm really no expert for military lingo, let alone in English.

That part you cited means something like "Already a large part of the territory that was overrun by these armies in March and April has been reconquered by the Entente."
Please correct my mistakes!

TomFuller

Postby TomFuller » 2018-09-13, 16:25

No, I'm not certain at all that I have translated it well. Here is what I came up with. Please correct anything wrong, if you will. I appreciate it. Danke! TnT

The German Withdrawal Continues

The French, English, and American troops drove the Germans out of their way with systematic and rapid movements.

Already a large part of their Army in March and April overruns boundaries of the agreement.

The sheer number of the prisoners who surrendered to them rested on the power of the French, English and American armed forces. In three days, there were 17,000 men. Since the beginning of Marshal Foch's counterattacks 10,000 prisoners have been captured.

In the summer battle of 1916, the English Army, who fought on the same ground as they do now, thought that they could manage taking 7500 prisoners in ten days. This comparison shows how much weaker the German resistance has become and how the power of the work has increased. In 1916, the English needed four months to take 30,000 prisoners; Now, the fourth English Army alone can take 30,000 prisoners in less than three weeks.

In only three weeks it can be done.

German soldiers, awaken! Save yourself and your country by breaking yourself away from those who have deceived you with foolish promises and false hopes. Do not throw away your lives unnecessarily. The game is over!

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-13, 20:08

Already a large part of their Army in March and April overruns boundaries of the agreement.

See my previous post.

The sheer number of the prisoners who surrendered to them suggests the power of the French, English and American armed forces. In three days, 17,000 men surrendered. Since the beginning of Marshal Foch's counterattacks 100,000 prisoners have been captured.

In the battle of the Somme of 1916, the English Army, who fought on the same ground as they do now, thought it was a good achievement taking 7500 prisoners in ten days. This comparison shows how much weaker the German resistance has become and how the power of the allies has increased.

In only three weeks it can be done.

Where does that come from? You're missing "There can only be one end."

The rest seems ok to me.

TomFuller

Postby TomFuller » 2018-09-13, 20:46

Now that I re-read it, I have no idea where the three weeks thing came from. I told you I needed a translator! Danke und die besten Wünsche aus Texas!

tom

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-14, 9:50

Bitte!

Return to “German (Deutsch)”