księżyc - Deutsch

Moderator:kevin

księżycowy
Re: księżyc - Deutsch

Postby księżycowy » 2018-11-30, 10:29

vijayjohn wrote:Lol hi, David Letterman. :P

I did that for amusement. :P
Wie wohnen Sie? (how do you live?) could be a valid question, I suppose, but I doubt that's what they were looking for ('where' is wo, not wie). I think the verb they were looking for was heißen.

That makes a lot more sense. Considering I filled out that exercise in my book months ago, I wonder why I put wohnen there. I obviously didn't catch it as I was typing it here.

*Sie (sie would mean 'they') :)

I was typing a bit carelessly. :whistle:
Same with the other typos.

#2-3 in b don't really make sense in this context; they want you to pick kinds of literature that are not mentioned in the answers.

That's what I get for doing that exercise quickly! Unlike most of the other exercises I posted, I hadn't done this one yet, so I did it quickly as I was typing up my post. :oops:

I'll try it again today. (At least 2 & 3 in b anyway :P )

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 19:53

księżycowy wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:#2-3 in b don't really make sense in this context; they want you to pick kinds of literature that are not mentioned in the answers.

That's what I get for doing that exercise quickly! Unlike most of the other exercises I posted, I hadn't done this one yet, so I did it quickly as I was typing up my post. :oops:

I'll try it again today. (At least 2 & 3 in b anyway :P )

I thank you for not telling me why, because it gave me the chance to understand the problem myself. And, yes, I am being sincere. :)

Lieber was the issue. So, here's my redo for b2 &3:
2. Liest du gerne Biographie?
3. Lest ihr gerne Liebesroman?

And while we're at it, is the difference between gern and gerne the same as, for example, mein and meine?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-12-01, 20:00

gern and gerne are interchangeable.

księżycowy wrote:Lieber was the issue. So, here's my redo for b2 &3:
2. Liest du gerne Biographie?
3. Lest ihr gerne Liebesroman?

You need the plural "Biographien" and "Liebesromane" there. (Or if you do use the singular even though it's a bit unusual, you'd need an indefinite article at least.)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 20:07

kevin wrote:gern and gerne are interchangeable.

Interesting.

How's this:
2. Liest du gerne Biographien?
3. Lest ihr gerne Liebesromane?

Continuing on with the exercises from Kapitel 1:

A42
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 20:13

Only a few more left! :)

C1
► Show Spoiler

C3
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 20:28

C5
► Show Spoiler

C7
► Show Spoiler

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 20:32

And last one I'm posting! :partyhat:

C11
► Show Spoiler

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-12-01, 20:34

księżycowy wrote: Continuing on with the exercises from Kapitel 1:

A42
► Show Spoiler

Er ist Student sounds a bit more natural without the article (likewise, job titles tend to be used without an article, e.g.: Sie ist Lehrerin).

... und er spricht … (main clause structure)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-02, 12:19

Danke! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-02, 20:41

I think for my listening and speaking practice, I'm going to start going through the series Deutsch - Warum Nicht? by DW. The more I listen to and speak the language the better, and while there are some opportunities in my textbook to do so, I want more. :P

Edit: Actually, since a while back I had bought Pimsleur German I, I might as well use that instead.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-03, 17:03

Moving on to Kapitel 2 this week! :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-04, 5:47

księżycowy wrote:C3
► Show Spoiler

You skipped the _______ Sie in Frankfurt? part.
4. spricht [or would this be (sie) sprechen?)

Yes, it's sprechen. Same problem here:
3. liest

Should be lesen for the same reason: plural subject (person A and person B are reading...)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-04, 17:19

vijayjohn wrote:You skipped the _______ Sie in Frankfurt? part.

There were so many forms of wohnen in a row, it was hard to keep track. Wohnen Sie in Frankfurt?

Yes, it's sprechen. Same problem here [...]
Should be lesen for the same reason: plural subject (person A and person B are reading...)

I guess I'm thinking back to my Irish, and how plural nouns can take the third person singular verb form. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-05, 7:40

I think Turkish is kind of like that, too.

Good luck with Kapitel 2! :)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-12, 10:54

So, one of the dialogues goes like this:
2A8.jpg

I'm puzzling over what mal means. I mean, I get that she's going to ask Paul, but I would still like to know what mal means in this context. The glossary is of little help, as it simply defines it as an "expletive" word. (I'm pretty sure it's not the type of expletive I'm thinking of. :P )

I did try looking it up in other sources, but I'm still not sure I get what it means.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-12-12, 11:22

księżycowy wrote:So, one of the dialogues goes like this:
2A8.jpg
I'm puzzling over what mal means. I mean, I get that she's going to ask Paul, but I would still like to know what mal means in this context. The glossary is of little help, as it simply defines it as an "expletive" word. (I'm pretty sure it's not the type of expletive I'm thinking of. :P )

I did try looking it up in other sources, but I'm still not sure I get what it means.

Honestly, it just is difficult to translate. Just look at the examples here to see why:
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/mal
Please correct my mistakes!

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-12-12, 11:29

I think it's usually called a modal particle. They are hard to translate and are often left out when translating into English because they just give some connotation to a sentence without changing its meaning too much. It's probably a matter of immersion and just getting a feeling for when to use them.

Wikipedia has a list of them with explanations and examples: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_modal_particles

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-12, 12:36

Well, that completely demystifies it. :P

Danke! :D

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-12-12, 17:48

One of my first introductions to mal was in advertisements for Deutsche Post that said "Schreib mal wieder!" I asked my German friends why the "mal" and they explained that "Schreib wieder!" sounds like a command and "mal" softens it into more of a request. That use of mal, to soften imperatives, is probably the most straightforward of its uses. (Cf. denn in questions.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-12-16, 16:04

księżycowy wrote:Well, that completely demystifies it. :P

Danke! :D

The mystery may be gone. But "mal" still could chase you for the rest of your life even ;). It is Way Too High Freq.

Another use ("deviating" from the literal meaning) is found in the following example.

"Es gibt jetzt eine leckere neue Pizza mit Spaghetti, Aubergine und Kartoffeln!!!"
"Ich werde es mal probieren."

Semi-literal translation: "I will try it some (other) time".

But some/many saying this particular sentence really mean, "No, thank you. Not interested. Although not wanting to sound impolite either".

And as for the first sentence, well :ohwell:... some people just might comment on it anyway. But Pizza mit Nudeln definitely is being sold.
this is a reboot

Return to “German (Deutsch)”