księżyc - Deutsch

Moderator:kevin

księżycowy
Re: księżyc - Deutsch

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-09, 12:54

I've decided to stop making flashcards for German, and instead I'm just going to define new words in my textbook/workbook. It just isn't practical and is too time consuming to input all those words into any flashcard program.

I'm hoping that from the repetition of defining the words (and noting the gender when appropriate), they'll sink in. Plus I can look over the words in the Kapitel (as I tend to reread sections of the current Kapitel as I work on it through the week) as I go along.

Anyone have an interesting writing prompt (for a beginner) that I can write a paragraph on? Or anything they want to learn about me (within reason)? :P

langmon

Postby langmon » 2019-01-09, 13:12

księżycowy wrote:Anyone have an interesting writing prompt (for a beginner) that I can write a paragraph on? Or anything they want to learn about me (within reason)? :P

I am "not really" a beginner of German. However, I am a beginner of some other languages. So I qualify as well for replying ;).

Ja. Es gibt hier tatsächlich etwas. Und zwar...
what is your profile's image all about, and who is that girl/woman?
Außerdem...
what is the role of the German language in your personal life?
this is a reboot

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-09, 14:19

I wasn't saying you have to be a beginner in German to give me a topic, rather anyone can give me a topic so long as it's something a beginner (which is what I am) can handle writing about.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:what is your profile's image all about, and who is that girl/woman?

That could be interesting to say a few words about. :P

langmon

Postby langmon » 2019-01-09, 15:06

księżycowy wrote:Or anything they want to learn about me (within reason)? :P

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:what is your profile's image all about, and who is that girl/woman?

That could be interesting to say a few words about. :P

So you are using the Geheimniskrämer Emoji. Both of this question and the other one (about the role of German in your life) are simply Left Unanswered and Not Commented. ACK.

księżycowy wrote:I wasn't saying you have to be a beginner in German to give me a topic, rather anyone can give me a topic so long as it's something a beginner (which is what I am) can handle writing about.

Really, that is what you meant? I definitely wasn't aware of anything like that until you explained it to me ;) do have one or two ideas on a Beginner's Writing Prompt.

You could write about
[1] buying some food in a store
[2] looking at the sky while being on the shore
[3] eating breakfast, wanting tea, then realizing there is no more
[4] re-arranging some objects in a room to be of knowing where they are secure
this is a reboot

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-09, 16:10

I thought those were suggestions for writing. Which I will use, because I've decided it could be interesting to write about. (I readily admit to glossing over the German.)

As for the role of German in my life, I've spoken on that quite recently. Multiple times at that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-10, 1:43

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:
księżycowy wrote:I wasn't saying you have to be a beginner in German to give me a topic, rather anyone can give me a topic so long as it's something a beginner (which is what I am) can handle writing about.

Really, that is what you meant?

Yes, when he wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Anyone have an interesting writing prompt (for a beginner) that I can write a paragraph on?

"For a beginner" was referring to "interesting," not "anyone." He was asking whether anyone had an idea for something he could write about, taking into consideration that he's a beginner. :)

langmon

Postby langmon » 2019-01-10, 5:13

vijayjohn wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:

Really, that is what you meant?

Yes, when he wrote:
księżycowy wrote:Anyone have an interesting writing prompt (for a beginner) that I can write a paragraph on?

Well... did you read the context of "Really, this is what you meant"?

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Really, that is what you meant? I definitely wasn't aware of anything like that until you explained it to me ;) do have one or two ideas on a Beginner's Writing Prompt.

Anything within the "strike" tag already was included within the strike tag when I made this post. So I didn't use that tag because of an edit, but because of wanting to express "well, I already was aware of that being what you meant even before you explained it".

"For a beginner" was referring to "interesting," not "anyone." He was asking whether anyone had an idea for something he could write about, taking into consideration that he's a beginner. :)

Yes, and then four of those ideas have been listed.

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:You could write about
[1] buying some food in a store
[2] looking at the sky while being on the shore
[3] eating breakfast, wanting tea, then realizing there is no more
[4] re-arranging some objects in a room to be of knowing where they are secure

księżycowy] wrote:I thought those were suggestions for writing. Which I will use, because I've decided it could be interesting to write about. (I readily admit to glossing over the German.)
this is a reboot

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-10, 5:40

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:Anything within the "strike" tag already was included within the strike tag when I made this post. So I didn't use that tag because of an edit, but because of wanting to express "well, I already was aware of that being what you meant even before you explained it".

:hmm: Okay.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-28, 0:06

Kapitel 4:

A3
► Show Spoiler

A6
► Show Spoiler

A13a
► Show Spoiler

I'm thinking I might write up some mini dialogues for some of the exercises that are suppose to be pair/group work. I'll try to post at least one by tomorrow or Tuesday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

h34

Postby h34 » 2019-01-28, 4:10

A6 a3) Perhaps just a typo but Brötchen has an Umlaut caused by the diminutive suffix:

Brot > Brötchen
Haus > Häuschen
Kasten > Kästchen

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-28, 8:38

księżycowy wrote:A3.jpg
[In order]
Kaffee
zwei
? Rühreier, i.e. scrambled eggs (I just learned a new word!)
Honig
GBrötchen
Ei
Lachs
Tee
? Käse
Apfel

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-28, 13:45

h34 wrote:A6 a3) Perhaps just a typo but Brötchen has an Umlaut caused by the diminutive suffix:

Brot > Brötchen
Haus > Häuschen
Kasten > Kästchen

It was indeed a typo. Though it's very interesting to learn that that's a diminutive suffix. I figured rightfully that it was based on Brot.

Danke!

vijayjohn wrote:
księżycowy wrote:A3.jpg
[In order]
Kaffee
zwei
? Rühreier, i.e. scrambled eggs (I just learned a new word!)
Honig
GBrötchen
Ei
Lachs
Tee
? Käse
Apfel

#3 was a typo. Which apparently I'm very good at doing. :P

And danke for filling in the ?s I had. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-28, 15:58

I actually made a mistake myself: It should be käse in this context, not Käse, since 'fresch cheese' is Frischkäse.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-01-28, 16:06

How the mighty have fallen. A sad day indeed....

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-01-29, 3:08

Oh, and I misspelled fresh as fresch... :lol:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-04, 14:55

This week, I'm going to finish up the C-Übungen in Kapitel 4, and (try) to complete Kapitel 5.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-04, 18:11

Prima!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 14:37

I've decided in addition to writing out some of the pairwork, that I will also translate the dialogues and readings. So, on that note, here's a reading from Kapitel 4:

A23.jpg

And my translation:
In Germany, one eats three times a day. Normally at breakfast there are rolls, or bread with marmalade, or cheese and a cup of coffee.

The main meal is between 12 and 2pm. It consists of meat, vegetables and potatoes. Many businesses have a canteen. The employees eat a hot lunch at noon.1 In many canteens one can also have vegetarian dishes.

For supper, in Germany it is tradition for one to eat only a slice of bread with cheese or sausage. However, many young people also prefer fish, meat, spaghetti, pizza or a hamburger in the evening.

As for drinks, coffee is very popular. In addition, Germans like beer and wine.One can mix wine with water, and drink Schorle.2

A special drink in the states of Hessen, Rheinland-Pfalz and Saarland is cider. Among refreshments, mineral water is in first place.3

Notes:
1. It took me a few minutes and a dictionary search or three to figure out what warm was suppose to mean there. I figured it had something to do with a warm/hot meal.

2. What is the second als doing here?

3. It took me forever to figure that last sentence out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2019-02-07, 20:43, edited 3 times in total.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 16:24

księżycowy wrote:I've decided in addition to writing out some of the pairwork, that I will also translate the dialogues and readings. So, on that note, here's a reading from Kapitel 4:

A23.jpg

And my translation:
In Germany, one eats three times a day. At breakfast normally there are rolls, or bread with marmalade, or cheese and a cup of coffee.

The main meal is lunch, between 12 and 2pm. It consists of meat, vegetables and potatoes. Many businesses have a canteen. The employees eat a hot lunch at noon.1 In many canteens one can also

I would have translated Mittagessen with "dinner", since this is the traditional term in English for the main meal when taken in the middle of the day, or just left it untranslated. (German even has the loanword Lunch to refer to a lighter English-style midday meal.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 16:27

Right, I was going to add that at the end of that sentence, but must have forgot. Danke!

Return to “German (Deutsch)”