księżyc - Deutsch

Moderator:kevin

linguoboy
Re: księżyc - Deutsch

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 16:31

księżycowy wrote:Right, I was going to add that at the end of that sentence, but must have forgot. Danke!

I don't think it works well at the end of the sentence, either in English or as a translation of the German. Putting it up front prepares the reader for each following paragraph to deal with a different meal.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 16:51

I just don't like the flow of "At breakfast normally...."

I'd usually say something like "At breakfast I have.....normally" or "Normally I have ..... for breakfast" myself.

Also, regarding lunch and dinner, I guess I have never thought of that distinction. I usually associate dinner (super, or any other name you'd want to call it) with a time of day, rather than with the type of meal. Same with lunch.

At any rate, I'm still working, so I'll play around with all this. :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 16:58

księżycowy wrote:Also, regarding lunch and dinner, I guess I have never thought of that distinction. I usually associate dinner (super, or any other name you'd want to call it) with a time of day, rather than with the type of meal. Same with lunch.

When do you have Thanksgiving dinner? (This is partially a regional thing. Southerners are more likely to preserve the earlier usage and have Thanksgiving dinner earlier than Northerners.)

I note that they use the term Abendbrot rather than Abendessen. Some varieties actually have a distinction here with Abendbrot used to refer to the kind of simple meal described and Abendessen for a warm meal. (I don't think you would ever use "Abendbrot" to describe a meal at a restaurant.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-02-07, 17:07

linguoboy wrote:I note that they use the term Abendbrot rather than Abendessen. Some varieties actually have a distinction here with Abendbrot used to refer to the kind of simple meal described and Abendessen for a warm meal. (I don't think you would ever use "Abendbrot" to describe a meal at a restaurant.)

That would sound odd to me.
Please correct my mistakes!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 17:28

linguoboy wrote:p
When do you have Thanksgiving dinner? (This is partially a regional thing. Southerners are more likely to preserve the earlier usage and have Thanksgiving dinner earlier than Northerners.)

It depends on where we're having it. Traditionally around 4-5pm. Lately, however we've been going to my aunt and uncle's and we eat around noon. We usually wouldn't call this "dinner" however. We usually say something to the effect of having a Thanksgiving meal in that case.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 20:44

I got my translation done. Correct away! :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 21:04

księżycowy wrote:As for drinks, coffee is very popular. In addition, Germans like beer and wine.One can mix wine with water, and drink Schorle.2

2. What is the second als doing here?

I only see one "als" in the sentence. "...and drink it as a spritzer" sounds more natural to me in English as well.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 21:26

linguoboy wrote:I only see one "als" in the sentence.

I must have somehow mashed the first sentence of that paragraph (the one that starts with als) with that sentence. I'm still curious how to understand the als right before Weinschorle.

"...and drink it as a spritzer" sounds more natural to me in English as well.

My translation at that point was definitely affected by the fact that I couldn't easily figure out what Weinschorle was. :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-07, 22:17

Here is a mini-dialogue based on the following exercise (and yes, I changed a few things):
A16.jpg

Kellner: Guten Tag.
Hans: Guten Tag.
K: Eine Tisch für drei personen?
Julia: Ja, bitte.
[Später]
H: Ich möchte das Steak und die Kartoffeln.
K: Sehr gut. Und Sie, bitte?
J: Ich hätte gern den Fisch und den Reis, bitte.
K: Super. Und die Fräulein?
Louis: Ich nehme die Chicken Nuggets!
K: Ist das alles?
L: Und Pommes!
K: Wunderbar.
[Später]
K: Das Kostet dreiundsiebzig Euro.
H: Das ist teuer, aber das Essen schmecht sehr gut!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-07, 23:55

księżycowy wrote:K: Super. Und die Fräulein?

Does Louis identify as twin girls?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-08, 1:00

No. Did I accidentally use the plural? :P

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-02-08, 10:26

księżycowy wrote:K: Einen Tisch für drei Personen?
Julia: Ja, bitte.
[Später]
H: Ich möchte das Steak und die Kartoffeln.
K: Sehr gut. Und Sie, bitte?
J: Ich hätte gern den Fisch und den Reis, bitte.
K: Super. Und das Fräulein?*
K: Ist das alles?
L: Und Pommes!
K: Wunderbar.
[Später]
K: Das kostet dreiundsiebzig Euro.
H: Das ist teuer, aber das Essen schmecht sehr gut!

*I strongly advise you not to use Fräulein. How old is the book that it still teaches it?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-08, 11:06

I actually didn't get it from the book. What would you suggest as a more appropriate alternative?

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-02-08, 11:43

In this context? Und Sie?, Und was darf's für Sie sein? or something like that.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-08, 12:36

Simple enough. Danke.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2019-02-10, 10:23

I decided to translate the text into Turkish. My translation into Turkish:

Esskultur in Deutschland
Almanya'da yemek kültürü

In Deutschland isst man dreimal am Tag.
Almanya'da günde üç öğün yemek yenir.

Zum Frühstück gibt es normalerweise Brötchen oder Brot mit Marmelade oder Käse und eine Tasse Kaffee.
Kahvaltıda genellikle küçük ekmek, marmelatlı ekmek veya peynirle bir fincan kahve olur.

Die Hauptmahlzeit ist das Mittagessen zwischen 12.00 Uhr und 14.00 Uhr.
Ana öğün saat 12 ile 14 arasındaki öğle yemeğidir.

Es besteht aus Fleisch, Gemüse und Kartoffeln.
Bu, et, sebze ve patateslerden oluşur.

Viele Betriebe haben eine Kantine.
Çoğu şirketin bir kantini vardır.

In vielen Kantinen kann man auch vegetarische Gerichte bekommen.
Çoğu kantinde vejetaryen yemekler de bulunabilir.

Zum Abendbrot isst man in Deutschland traditionell nur eine Scheibe Brot mit Käse oder Wurst.
Akşam yemeğinde Almanya'da geleneksel olarak sadece peynir veya sosisle birlikte bir dilim ekmek yenir.

Doch viele junge Menschen bevorzugen auch abends Fisch, Fleisch, Spaghetti, Pizza oder einen Hamburger.
Halbuki birçok genç insan akşamleyin balık, et, spagetti, pizza veya bir hamburger de tercih eder.

Als Getränk ist Kaffee sehr beliebt.
İçecek olarak kahve çok sevilir.

Außerdem mögen die Deutschen Bier und Wein.
Ayrıca Almanlar bira ve şarabı sever.

Man kann Wein auch mit Wasser mischen und als „Weinschorle“ trinken.
Şarap suyla karıştırılarak "şarap şörlesi" olarak da içilebilir.

Ein besonderes Getränk in den Bundesländern Hessen, Rheinland-Pfalz und Saarland ist der Apfelwein.
Hessen, Rheinland-Pfalz ve Saarland federal eyaletlerinin özel bir içeceği elma şarabıdır.

Bei den Erfrischungsgetränken liegt das Mineralwasser an der Spitze.
Meşrubatlarda ise maden suyu birinci sıradadır.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

langmon

Postby langmon » 2019-02-10, 12:37

księżycowy wrote:
linguoboy wrote:I only see one "als" in the sentence.

I must have somehow mashed the first sentence of that paragraph (the one that starts with als) with that sentence. I'm still curious how to understand the als right before Weinschorle.

Warning: somewhat longish explanation ahead :).

That was the textbook sentence:
"Man kann Wein auch mit Wasser mischen und als "Weinschorle" trinken".

Gotta think about now. *thinking* *thinking some more* *done*. Well... I drink music instead of alcohol. But I guess I still could explain that sentence some more. Because the same "als" construct can be used for so many other drinks and foods as well.

First, a Schorle is a certain kind of two drinks mixed together. There also is e.g. the Fruchtschorle/Obstschorle. A Fruchtsaft, mixed with (mineral) water.

So Schorle equals a "base" drink (like fruit juice), mixed with a "secondary" drink (like mineral water). And no, not every drink mixed with something else is a Schorle. Coffee and milk is called a cappuccino/... instead ;). But I guess you get the picture.

Alright... now for that "als". Since that mixture of the "base" and "secondary" drink equals Schorle, that "als" means: They drink this mix, and that mix is called Schorle. So the whole sentence means (now that's what I call verbosity-dense!): "Something is combined with something else, the result is a Schorle, they treat it as such, and they drink it while considering it a Schorle, rather than anything else".

Two more examples:
- Man kann Ingwer auch als Gewürztee trinken.
(One can also drink ginger "as a spice tea".)
This means turning on the kettle, then putting some ginger in a cup of tea, waiting some minutes, and then drinking the result ;).

- Manche Leute mischen Wasser und Zucker, dann trinken sie das Ganze als Zuckerwasser!
Some people mix water and sugar, then they drink the whole thing "as sugared water".

This is about treating the combination as a drink on its own. Some do so... So they consider it an Official Drink that also has got an Official Name. Rather than an unintentional, undrinkable and worthless combination of water and sugar (like some others might do when "Zuckerwasser" simply is mentioned).
this is a reboot

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-02-10, 21:33

For me, Schorle is not a mix of two arbitrary things, but only wine or juice mixed with sparkling water. Does it really include more things for you?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-11, 6:41

księżycowy wrote:
"...and drink it as a spritzer" sounds more natural to me in English as well.

My translation at that point was definitely affected by the fact that I couldn't easily figure out what Weinschorle was. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schorle
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schorle#W ... e_spritzer))

langmon

Postby langmon » 2019-02-11, 8:55

kevin wrote:For me, Schorle is not a mix of two arbitrary things, but only wine or juice mixed with sparkling water. Does it really include more things for you?

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:So Schorle equals a "base" drink (like fruit juice), mixed with a "secondary" drink (like mineral water). And no, not every drink mixed with something else is a Schorle. Coffee and milk is called a cappuccino/... instead ;). But I guess you get the picture.

In its WP article (yes, I know, WP...), they also mentioned that there is a third mixing possibility, which I didn't hear of either.
Wein mit Zitronenlimonade, Schorle süß („Arbeitersekt“), oder Cola („Cola-Schoppen“) in Österreich Cola-rot (regional: Bonanza) oder -weiß
this is a reboot

Return to “German (Deutsch)”