vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: księżyc - Deutsch

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-01, 13:29

Yeah, of course; did I imply otherwise?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2019-06-01, 13:33

I was just explaining (to everyone) that I'd be doing it in a different way. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-06-01, 13:47

Oh, I see now, okay!

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-06-01, 17:22

Here's an portion from a log I keep on another forum that has some questions and what not:
(Yeah, I'm cheating on you, UL. :twisted: )
Deutsch
40 mins. (and that's without the DW audio course!)
I continued to work on the C exercises from Kapitel 1 in Begegnungen. One of the exercises had me write three small texts. I'll post those below, in case there are any errors or what not.

Also, I notice that in one of the exercises the following happens:
Später bin ich Journalist. ([Later] I will be a journalist)
Today I noticed the following grammar notes:
Jetzt lerne ich Deutsch. (I'm learning German now.)
which can also go like:
Ich lerne jetzt Deutsch.

So, I got to wondering if you can say:
Ich bin später Journalist. or if that can't be done, for some reason. I notice an example with später in the same section of notes, but only with später at the beginning of the sentence.

And now the three texts:
a) Anna Tatzikowa kommt aus Moskau. Sie wohnt jetzt in München. Anna studiert Medizin und später ist sie Ärztin. Ihre Muttersprache ist Russisch und sie spricht sehr gut Englisch. Sie is ledig. Sie Spielt gern Tennis und hört gern Musik.

b) Paul Ehrlicher wohnt in Leipzig und arbeitet als Kriminalkommissar. Er ist geschieden und hat zwei Kinder. Seine Muttersprache ist Deutsch und er spricht auch English. Paul spielt gern Gitarre und singt gern.

c) Petra Sommer wohnt in Frankfurt. Sie ist Lehrerin und ist verheiratet. Ihre Muttersprache ist Deutsch und sie spricht ein bisschen Englisch und Spanisch. Sie lernt gern Italienisch und schreibt gern Gedichte.

I'm not sure if you can pro-drop, like I did. I just tried it though. :P

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-06-01, 17:43

księżycowy wrote:So, I got to wondering if you can say:
Ich bin später Journalist. or if that can't be done, for some reason. I notice an example with später in the same section of notes, but only with später at the beginning of the sentence.

Gute Frage! This order sounds fine to me in locational sentences (e.g. "Ich bin später wieder da") but using the non-past of sein with future meaning with a predicate nominative strikes me as a bit more unusual. Having später up front helps keeps one from gardenpathing, but I'm not sure it's 100% necessary.

księżycowy wrote:I'm not sure if you can pro-drop, like I did. I just tried it though. :P

I wouldn't call that "dropping", it's just coordination.

For the record, you can drop subjects in informal speech, e.g. "Verheiratet. Muttersprache Deutsch. Spricht ein bisschen Englisch und Spanisch. Schreibt gern Gedichte." The connotations are similar to English (e.g. that example sounds like something from a cop show).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2020-06-02, 11:38

It seems I'm getting some interesting native feedback to "später bin ich" used with a noun in general. I'm kind of hoping Kevin, or some of our other natives here can weigh in as well. (That's not to say I don't appreciate your input, Linguoboy.)

I also find it interesting that you don't use ein(e) in those kind of sentences. Yet I would translate it as "a/an" + occupation.

Danke vor die Hilfe. :)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-06-02, 14:32

księżycowy wrote:It seems I'm getting some interesting native feedback to "später bin ich" used with a noun in general. I'm kind of hoping Kevin, or some of our other natives here can weigh in as well.

Ich auch.

księżycowy wrote:Danke vorfür die Hilfe. :)

(Reminder that vor is cognate to English fore, not for, and so generally retains some sense of "being or coming in front of" even when used metaphorically. So you haben Angst vor something that's in front of you which may also be a source of Angst für other people you know.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2020-06-02, 14:42

księżycowy wrote:It seems I'm getting some interesting native feedback to "später bin ich" used with a noun in general. I'm kind of hoping Kevin, or some of our other natives here can weigh in as well. (That's not to say I don't appreciate your input, Linguoboy.)

I think both options sound equally correct to me. "Sie studiert Medizin und ist später Ärztin" is fine.

In actual speech, I would just want to throw in stuff like "dann" or "mal" for it to sound more natural. For a more formal register, I would probably phrase it differently, maybe something like "...und wird anschließend/danach Ärztin."

księżycowy wrote:a) Anna Tatzikowa kommt aus Moskau. Sie wohnt jetzt in München. Anna studiert Medizin und später ist sie Ärztin. Ihre Muttersprache ist Russisch und sie spricht sehr gut Englisch. Sie ist ledig. Sie spielt gern Tennis und hört gern Musik.

b) Paul Ehrlicher wohnt in Leipzig und arbeitet als Kriminalkommissar. Er ist geschieden und hat zwei Kinder. Seine Muttersprache ist Deutsch und er spricht auch Englisch. Paul spielt gern Gitarre und singt gern.

c) Petra Sommer wohnt in Frankfurt. Sie ist Lehrerin und (ist) verheiratet. Ihre Muttersprache ist Deutsch und sie spricht ein bisschen Englisch und Spanisch. Sie lernt gern Italienisch und schreibt gern Gedichte.

Nur ein paar kleine Korrekturen für die Rechtschreibung. Gut gemacht!

Danke vor für die Hilfe. :)

Bitteschön. :)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2020-06-02, 14:48

linguoboy wrote:So you haben Angst vor something that's in front of you which may also be a source of Angst für other people you know.

Meinst du "Angst um" andere Leute?

"Ich habe Angst für ihn" würde am ehesten noch heißen, dass derjenige selber keine Angst hat, aber ich habe sozusagen stellvertretend für ihn Angst.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-06-02, 14:56

kevin wrote:
linguoboy wrote:So you haben Angst vor something that's in front of you which may also be a source of Angst für other people you know.

Meinst du "Angst um" andere Leute?

"Ich habe Angst für ihn" würde am ehesten noch heißen, dass derjenige selber keine Angst hat, aber ich habe sozusagen stellvertretend für ihn Angst.

"Das ist eine Quelle der Angst für einige unserer Mitbürger" ist für dich kein gutes und richtiges Deutsch?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2020-06-02, 15:05

Ah, das geht natürlich. Aber ich würde "Angst für" in diesem Satz nicht als eine enge Einheit ansehen, sondern nur als Wörter, die zufällig nebeneinander stehen: "Das ist [eine Quelle der Angst] [für einige unserer Mitbürger]". Du könntest die Reihenfolge der beiden Klammern auch vertauschen.

Return to “German (Deutsch)”