księżyc - Deutsch

Moderator: kevin

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Re: księżyc - Deutsch

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-11, 9:13

vijayjohn wrote:
księżycowy wrote:
"...and drink it as a spritzer" sounds more natural to me in English as well.

My translation at that point was definitely affected by the fact that I couldn't easily figure out what Weinschorle was. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schorle
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schorle#W ... e_spritzer))

I guess I didn't read far enough, because I did try to figure it out with your first link.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-11, 16:18

For whatever it's worth, I didn't know what a Schorle (or a Weinschorle, for that matter) was until I looked it up, either. :)

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-02-11, 16:58

I think it may be the only German word my American colleagues actually learnt while we had a conference in Germany. They didn't know it before, but at the end of the week, a lot of them ordered their "apple schorle". :D (Which is a very popular thing here if you want a non-alcoholic drink, but not just water.)

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-02-11, 17:08

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:In its WP article (yes, I know, WP...), they also mentioned that there is a third mixing possibility, which I didn't hear of either.
Wein mit Zitronenlimonade, Schorle süß („Arbeitersekt“), oder Cola („Cola-Schoppen“) in Österreich Cola-rot (regional: Bonanza) oder -weiß

Would you really consider red wine with cola a kind of Schorle? I suppose I could see how it technically qualifies, but it's so different in appearance and taste that I consider it its own thing. (It's a very common cocktail in Spain, where it's called calimocho, and other Spanish-speaking countries.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

SomehowGeekyPolyglot

Postby SomehowGeekyPolyglot » 2019-02-12, 13:18

linguoboy wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:In its WP article (yes, I know, WP...), they also mentioned that there is a third mixing possibility, which I didn't hear of either.
Wein mit Zitronenlimonade, Schorle süß („Arbeitersekt“), oder Cola („Cola-Schoppen“) in Österreich Cola-rot (regional: Bonanza) oder -weiß

Would you really consider red wine with cola a kind of Schorle? I suppose I could see how it technically qualifies, but it's so different in appearance and taste that I consider it its own thing. (It's a very common cocktail in Spain, where it's called calimocho, and other Spanish-speaking countries.)
I'd consider it a Schorle "im weiteren Sinne". But if I really would talk about a drink like that any day to anyone, I'd rather describe it. Because as you said, even if it technically qualifies, it maybe isn't "the usual everyday Schorle".
- Any two-digit no. of lang. learned in rotation
- Botany (EN, DE, ...)

SomehowGeekyPolyglot = SomewhatGeekyPolyglot = SGP

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-13, 1:19

kevin wrote:I think it may be the only German word my American colleagues actually learnt while we had a conference in Germany.

Did/do they speak German?

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2019-02-13, 9:10

No, they don't (apart from a few words like "danke", of course).

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2019-02-18, 17:13

I still have a few C-Übungen to complete, but I'm still going to move on to the next Kapitel. I might try to complete the last few exercises in Kapitel 4, but regardless, I'm moving on.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-02-19, 0:38

So you're halfway through the book! Congratulations! :)

Return to “German (Deutsch)”