Köpfe nicken mit dem Beat, alle Fäuste gehen hoch
Von Kairo bis Berlin, keiner bleibt davon verschont
Spielt dieses Lied und alle Fäuste gehen hoch
Sie gehen hoch, sie gehen hoch
Köpfe nicken mit dem Beat, alle Fäuste gehen hoch
Von Quito bis Paris schallt der Sound der Rebellion
Spielt dieses Lied und alle Fäuste gehen hoch
Sie gehen hoch, sie gehen hoch

nicken - nod ("bop" in this context I guess)
verschont (verschonen) - spared
vschallt (schallen) - sounds, rings

Für uns bedeutet das hier mehr als nur Musik
Wir leben was wir singen, unsere Lyrics sitzen tief
Den Sound der Rebellion packen wir auf jeden Beat,
erreichen mehr Leute mit jedem Release
Der Bass drückt sich durch und entlädt die Energie
Keiner unserer Träume bleibt eine Utopie
Es gibt noch viel zu tun, denn zu viel läuft noch schief
Hebt eure Fäuste, wir spielen dieses Lied

sitzen - to hit?
tief - deap
erreichen - to reach, catch
Träume (Traum) - dreams
schief - askew, crooked
läuft (laufen) - runs, progresses, flows, functions
hebt (heben) - raise (plural imperative)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Saim - Deutsch

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-18, 19:00

Wow, you understood everything but like ten words? That's impressive! I didn't know some of these words, either. I had to look up Faust, too, if you can imagine! :lol:

And now I have to also remember it's die Faust.
Saim wrote:sitzen - to hit?

I suggest translating this as 'to lie' in this context and would attempt to translate "unsere Lyrics sitzen tief" as 'our lyrics lie deep'. Or maybe even just 'are' is a better translation: our lyrics are deep.
hebt (heben) - raise (plural imperative)

And informal, since otherwise, it would be heben (Sie). :P

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-09-18, 20:04

vijayjohn wrote:Wow, you understood everything but like ten words? That's impressive! I didn't know some of these words, either. I had to look up Faust, too, if you can imagine! :lol:

I didn't know the word Faust but the meaning was clear from the music video (I knew gehen and hoch and in the video they're raising their fists; this group has pretty lefty lyrics). :P I think the number of Anglicisms (Beat, Sound, Release) and placenames (Quito, Cairo, Berlin) also helped, not to mention that there are still a couple of verses left.

I suggest translating this as 'to lie' in this context and would attempt to translate "unsere Lyrics sitzen tief" as 'our lyrics lie deep'. Or maybe even just 'are' is a better translation: our lyrics are deep.

You may be right, although I think this meaning provided by Wiktionary makes just as much sense:

(intransitive, colloquial, of a strike, a comment, etc.) to hit home; to have a significant effect

And informal, since otherwise, it would be heben (Sie). :P

Thanks! So Sie forms don't differentiate imperative and indicative?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-18, 20:17

Saim wrote:You may be right, although I think this meaning provided by Wiktionary makes just as much sense:

(intransitive, colloquial, of a strike, a comment, etc.) to hit home; to have a significant effect

Oh. :doh:

I should check my sources uhhh I mean stuff more carefully. :P
Thanks! So Sie forms don't differentiate imperative and indicative?

Generally no (and I'd say the same about ihr forms; at least I can't think of any (other) examples where the Sie/ihr forms are different from the indicative), but they do for the verb sein 'to be':

Sie sind vorsichtig. 'You are careful' (or 'They are careful' :)).
Seien Sie vorsichtig! 'Be careful!'

The wir form for this verb can apparently be either this one or the same as the indicative, i.e. either sind wir or seien wir. (The ihr form, of course, is just the same as the indicative: seid).

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-09-19, 6:50

Saim wrote:schief - askew, crooked
läuft (laufen) - runs, progresses, flows, functions

The meaning of the components already gives you an idea, but it's really:
schieflaufen - go wrong

Saim wrote:

You may be right, although I think this meaning provided by Wiktionary makes just as much sense:

Es heißt "sitzen tief", deswegen wäre das nicht meine Interpretation. Ich könnte das "tief" nicht unterbringen. Das einzige, woran ich in diesem Zusammenhang noch denken könnte, wäre ein Tiefschlag beim Boxen, aber das wäre ja negativ.

Daher denke ich, dass es eher heißen soll, dass die Texte eine tiefe Überzeugung ausdrücken oder sowas.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-09-28, 18:43

Danke Kevin. :)

Irie Révoltés - Fäuste Hoch (cont.)

Alle Hände oben, der Saal ist am Beben
Der Sound der Rebellion für ein anderes Leben
Einen Moment sind wir einfach nur frei,
denn auf einmal erscheint alles greifbar zu sein
Und dann drückt sich der Beat durch den Ausgang,
weit über Grenzen, Musik kennt kein Ausland
Streut unsere Botschaft wie Parolen auf 'ner Hauswand
Fäuste hoch, wir proben den Aufstand

Beben - quake, shaking
greifbar - tangible, palpable (from greifen)
weit - far, wide
streut - spreads (streuen)
Wand - wall
Aufstand - rebellion, uprising

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-09-29, 8:20

You probably already understand this, but because it's not completely clear from your translations: "ist am Beben" doesn't mean something like the hall is located near an earthquake or something, but this is just a progressive form of the verb "beben" (which is substantivised in this construction) rather than the noun "Beben".

Saim

Postby Saim » 2017-09-29, 8:41

kevin wrote:You probably already understand this, but because it's not completely clear from your translations: "ist am Beben" doesn't mean something like the hall is located near an earthquake or something, but this is just a progressive form of the verb "beben" (which is substantivised in this construction) rather than the noun "Beben".

I imagined that from the context but wasn't sure about the exact grammar. Are these progressive forms always capitalised as if they were nouns?

h34

Postby h34 » 2017-09-29, 10:31

Saim wrote: Are these progressive forms always capitalised as if they were nouns?

Yes, they are treated as neuter nouns and can also be declined: das Beben, des Bebens, dem Beben...

Combined with the preposition während, for instance, the genitive is used: während des Bebens.

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2017-09-29, 14:02

Saim wrote:I imagined that from the context but wasn't sure about the exact grammar. Are these progressive forms always capitalised as if they were nouns?

It's not only as if they were nouns, but they are nouns. The form "(das) Beben" is not a progressive form per se, but just a nominalised infinitive, roughly corresponding to the English gerund. It's only the construction "am Beben sein" (literally: "to be at the shaking") that uses it to express a progressive meaning.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-11, 18:52

Basically, AFAIK, das Beben is "the act of shaking" (and the same is true of das + any other (capitalized) verb in the infinitive).

h34

Postby h34 » 2018-01-12, 6:46

vijayjohn wrote:Basically, AFAIK, das Beben is "the act of shaking" (and the same is true of das + any other (capitalized) verb in the infinitive).

I think that's true. In contrast to 'ordinary' nouns, these nominalized verbs tend to emphasize the process, e.g.:

suchen - to search
das Suchen - searching (the process)
die Suche - the search

hoffen - to hope
das Hoffen - hoping (process)
die Hoffnung - hope

denken - to think
das Denken - thinking (process)
der Gedanke - the thought

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-02-05, 17:42

http://de.euronews.com/2018/02/05/rekor ... kau-video-

Rekordschnee entwurzelt 2.000 Bäume in Moskau [VIDEO]

An nur einem Wochenende fielen in Moskau rund 62 cm Schnee - fast so viel wie sonst im ganzen Monat Februar.

Bei heftigen Schneefällen in der russischen Hauptstadt ist am Wochenende mindestens eine Person ums Leben gekommen. Zwei Menschen wurden verletzt, als ein Baum umstürzte und eine Hochspannungsleitung beschädigte. Das bestätigte Moskaus Bürgermeister Sergei Sobjanin auf Twitter.

Mehr als 2.000 Bäume sind den Angaben nach wegen heftiger Schnee- und Regenfälle umgestürzt.

Laut Meteorologen fielen am Wochenende 62 cm Schnee - fast so viel wie im ganzen Monat Februar der vergangenen Jahre.

Die Schule in Moskau fiel am Montag laut Sobjanin aus.

Der Schnee sorgte für etliche Verkehrsunfälle und Ausfälle im öffentlichen Verkehr. Einen absoluter Stillstand, wie ihn viele befürchtet hatten, gab es aber dann doch nicht.

Am Wochenende waren rund 60.000 Haushalte von Stromausfällen in der Region um Moskau betroffen, die Versorgung ist aber mittlerweile wieder hergestellt.

ums Leben gekommen - to die, lose one's life
verletzt - injured
umstürzen - to overturn, topple
beschädigen - to damage
bestätigen - to confirm
laut - according to
etliche - several
öffentlich - public
Haushalt - household
betroffen - affected
Versorgung - care, provision
herstellen - to produce, establish

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-03-03, 14:08

Dative constructions

m
Nom: der Berg
Dat: dem Berg
Prep>dat: am Berg

der Garten
dem Garten
im Garten

n
das Ende
dem Ende
am Ende

das Haus
dem Haus
im Haus

f
die Küche
der Küche
in der Küche

die Universität
der Universität
an der Universität

Saim

Postby Saim » 2018-11-24, 17:05

Ich werde versuchen dieses Video zu transkribieren.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaObYYQalE

Andreas Rödder, er ist einer der führenden zeithistoriker der jüngeren Generation. Gibt es eine neue Angst vor Deustchland? Darüber wollen wir heute mit ihm sprechen. Her Rödder, unlängst hat ein polnischer minister in Brüssel gesagt: ihm mache Deutschland, das führt nicht Angst, sondern ein Deustchland, das nicht führt. Gibt es diese neue Angst vor Deustchland?

—Es gibt eine neue Angst vor Deutschland, die zugleich eine alte Angst vor Deustchland ist. Und es gibt neue Erwartungen an Deutschland, die Deutschland in ein Dilemma bringen. Den Satz des polnischen Außenministers, den sie gerade ansprechen, den hätten sie vor 1990 gerade aus Polen tatsächlich so nie gehört. Es gibt eine neue Erwartung an Deutschland in Europa zu führen. Im selben moment aber sieht sich Deutschland mit dem Dilemma konfrontiert, dass wenn Deutschland tatsächlich führt, dann die alte Angst wieder aufkommt, dass Deutschland in Europa eine Vormacht ausüben will. Denn diese neue Angst

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-12-16, 15:55

Saim wrote:verletzt - injured
[...] betroffen - affected

2nd meanings:
Emotionally injured and (again, emotionally) shocked [--> affected].

Betreff: subject (letter or e-mail).

beschädigen - to damage

Schaden: damage.

laut - according to

I think you are aware of the other meaning, too. It isn't hidden or anything. But it might be useful to point out that laut is used for both loud and loudly.

herstellen - to produce, establish

A combination of her- and -stellen.
this is a reboot

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-18, 20:55

Saim wrote:Ich werde versuchen, dieses Video zu transkribieren.

Andreas Rödder, er ist einer der führenden Zeithistoriker der jüngeren Generation. Gibt es eine neue Angst vor Deustchland? Darüber wollen wir heute mit ihm sprechen. Herr Rödder, unlängst hat ein polnischer Minister in Brüssel gesagt: ihm mache Deutschland, das führt nicht Angst, sondern ein Deustchland, das nicht führt. Gibt es diese neue Angst vor Deustschland?

—Es gibt eine neue Angst vor Deutschland, die zugleich eine alte Angst vor Deustchland ist. Und es gibt neue Erwartungen an Deutschland, die Deutschland in ein Dilemma bringen. Den Satz des polnischen Außenministers, den sie gerade ansprechen, den hätten sie vor 1990 gerade aus Polen tatsächlich so nie gehört. Es gibt eine neue Erwartung an Deutschland in Europa zu führen. Im selben Moment aber sieht sich Deutschland mit dem Dilemma konfrontiert, dass wenn Deutschland tatsächlich führt, dann die alte Angst wieder aufkommt, dass Deutschland in Europa eine Vormacht ausüben will. Denn diese neue Angst

Return to “German (Deutsch)”