Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Moderator: kevin

User avatar
lyzazel
Posts: 105
Joined: 2009-04-05, 23:12
Contact:

Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby lyzazel » 2014-01-31, 22:22

Hi there!

I have posted on Unilang for a while and contributed with a couple of language learning tools (most importantly - cooljugator.com), and I would now like to tell you about an Interlinear German book translation that I have recently released.

Interlinear translations are the kind of translations where the actual translation follows below each word or expression in the original text. They let you easily understand a book in a foreign language without a dictionary.

I have started InterlinearBooks.com and began releasing quality Interlinear translations since late last year, and, having released Swedish and Lithuanian translations, I have now released a German translation available at:

http://interlinearbooks.com/german/

If you are interested in getting some German reading practice, please do check it out.

I want to grow the site and add a lot more translations to it, thus I'm trying to get the word out there as much as possible. If you have any ideas about how to get more people know about them, that would also be good!

Thanks!
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23288
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby linguoboy » 2014-01-31, 22:28

Why not use hyperlinks?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
lyzazel
Posts: 105
Joined: 2009-04-05, 23:12
Contact:

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby lyzazel » 2014-01-31, 23:49

What do you mean?
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

User avatar
linguoboy
Posts: 23288
Joined: 2009-08-25, 15:11
Real Name: Da
Location: Chicago
Country: US United States (United States)

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby linguoboy » 2014-02-01, 4:25

lyzazel wrote:What do you mean?

I mean instead of having the vocabulary items on the next line, why not just have it so that tapping or mousing over a word gives you the equivalent. Like what you find on BBC Cymru (click the little circle next to the words "BBC VOCAB" in the upper right) or the LEO German dictionary app.

I would pay good money for an app like that. I don't need every word glossed, just the tough ones. But when I do need it, it's really indispensable.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby eskandar » 2014-02-01, 8:44

linguoboy wrote:I mean instead of having the vocabulary items on the next line, why not just have it so that tapping or mousing over a word gives you the equivalent. Like what you find on BBC Cymru (click the little circle next to the words "BBC VOCAB" in the upper right) or the LEO German dictionary app.

I would pay good money for an app like that. I don't need every word glossed, just the tough ones. But when I do need it, it's really indispensable.
Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, there are a number of such apps. Pop-Up Dictionary, for example, is supposed to be widely usable (I haven't used it myself though), or several sites built for particular languages (e.g. this one for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean).
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
lyzazel
Posts: 105
Joined: 2009-04-05, 23:12
Contact:

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby lyzazel » 2014-02-01, 17:17

linguoboy wrote:I mean instead of having the vocabulary items on the next line, why not just have it so that tapping or mousing over a word gives you the equivalent. Like what you find on BBC Cymru (click the little circle next to the words "BBC VOCAB" in the upper right) or the LEO German dictionary app.

I would pay good money for an app like that. I don't need every word glossed, just the tough ones. But when I do need it, it's really indispensable.


That is not a bad idea, thanks. Interlinear could indeed be programmed to give the option to hide the translations and to only reveal it once a word is clicked. The main reason why that is not done is because the translations currently work as e-books rather than apps.

Arguably, having them like this is also a bit more user-friendly in regards to unexperienced users because the current form of translation eliminates the need to keep clicking on separate words (which can become quite irritating if you don't know that many words).


eskandar wrote:Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're looking for, there are a number of such apps. Pop-Up Dictionary, for example, is supposed to be widely usable (I haven't used it myself though), or several sites built for particular languages (e.g. this one for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean).


Well, Interlinear is quite different from dictionaries because it's not machine translation. Everything is translated by people and the translations are made to correspond as much as possible to the original text. This is not what you would usually get by translating words one-by-one with a dictionary. Interlinear Books is trying to make literature accessible to language learners.
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books

User avatar
eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 2906
Joined: 2006-12-15, 8:27
Real Name: Eskandar
Gender: male

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby eskandar » 2014-02-02, 1:32

lyzazel wrote:Well, Interlinear is quite different from dictionaries because it's not machine translation. Everything is translated by people and the translations are made to correspond as much as possible to the original text. This is not what you would usually get by translating words one-by-one with a dictionary. Interlinear Books is trying to make literature accessible to language learners.
My comment wasn't directed to you, but to linguoboy, which is why I quoted part of his post that I was responding to.
Currently away from Unilang.

User avatar
lyzazel
Posts: 105
Joined: 2009-04-05, 23:12
Contact:

Re: Interlinear bilingual German book translation

Postby lyzazel » 2014-02-02, 13:12

eskandar wrote:My comment wasn't directed to you, but to linguoboy, which is why I quoted part of his post that I was responding to.


Fair enough. I just wanted to clarify that. :)
Check out my project with interlinear translations (or, you could say, 'subtitled books') at Interlinear Books


Return to “German (Deutsch)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest