Pronunciation initial S (before vowels) and of final -ig

Moderator: kevin

Prosper_Youplaboum

Pronunciation initial S (before vowels) and of final -ig

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2013-10-10, 0:45

Guten Abend

Although I learnt at school that initial S before vowels is pronounced [z] in standard German, I heard several native speaking teachers who pronounce it like [s]. One was from Austria and another from Southwestern Germany.
Is this a regional thing? And in what areas is it the norm?

2nd question: I heard also native speaking teachers who pronounce final -ig as [ik], and other like [iç]. Is this a regional thing too? And in what areas are they used?

Danke schön! :D
Agur Xibe’ua,
Bazter güzietako xokho’ik eijerrena,
Agur sor lekhia,
Zu’i ditit ene ametsik goxuenak.

linguoboy

Re: Pronunciation initial S (before vowels) and of final -ig

Postby linguoboy » 2013-10-10, 3:30

Prosper_Youplaboum wrote:Is this a regional thing?

Yes.

Prosper_Youplaboum wrote:And in what areas is it the norm?

I wish I could say something more definite than "the South". I had a linguistics professor who placed one of my classmates within a few km of her hometown on the basis of this and one other pronunciation feature, but I don't remember the details. And now he's dead.

Prosper_Youplaboum wrote:2nd question: I heard also native speaking teachers who pronounce final -ig as [ik], and other like [iç]. Is this a regional thing too? And in what areas are they used?

See above. In much of the South, it's actually [ɪg̥] (i.e. unvoiced but also lenis, rather than being fortis as /k/ usually is in the North).
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2013-10-10, 7:42

linguoboy already explained everything, but maybe I should add that [z] doesn't exist in any position in the South, so it's the same thing in the middle of words.

Prosper_Youplaboum

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2013-10-10, 11:01

Ok, danke schön :)
Agur Xibe’ua,
Bazter güzietako xokho’ik eijerrena,
Agur sor lekhia,
Zu’i ditit ene ametsik goxuenak.

Surtalnar

Postby Surtalnar » 2013-10-13, 11:06

2nd question: I heard also native speaking teachers who pronounce final -ig as [ik], and other like [iç]. Is this a regional thing too? And in what areas are they used?

The final -ig is always pronounced as [iç]. (e.g. in wichtig => is pronounced as wichtich)

BUT:
- if a vowel follows after the -ig (e.g. wichtige or wichtiger it is pronounced as [ig]
- if another syllable (in compound words) which contains a [ç] is followed, than it is pronounced as [ik] (e.g. Königreich => is pronounced as Könikreich)

Return to “German (Deutsch)”