Gastarbeiter-Deutsch

Moderator:kevin

jumichlo
Gastarbeiter-Deutsch

Postby jumichlo » 2004-07-22, 20:56

In what kind do people in your country communicate with foreigners with no or just little knowledge of your language?

In Austria we have the “Gastarbeiter Deutsch” (well, there is a less polite expression for it too: “Tschuschen-Deutsch” :? ).
When the first immigrants from Turkey and Yugoslavia came to Austria about 20 years ago they spoke certainly no German. Austrians spoke to them in a very simple way, like “Du gehen da” instead of “Gehen Sie dorthin”.

Some basic rules for Gastarbeiter-Deutsch: :wink:
+Use of only infinitive verb forms.
+Use of the informal “Du” instead of the formal “Sie”.
+Repeating of the sentence for several times if the foreigner seems not to understand
+Rising of the voice each time the sentence has to be repeated to increase the chance of understanding.

In combination with the fact that many migrants never attended a German course many had great difficulties to learn our language.
Since I was a child I remember that many Austrian stick to that kind of language when they communicate with (Non-Western) foreigners.
But meanwhile I believe that Austrians with higher education now use more the Standard German, while people with less education stick to the “Gastarbeiter-Deutsch”.

T0MINH0

Postby T0MINH0 » 2004-07-22, 21:24

well, I don't find “Du gehen da” more easy to understand than ''Gehen Sie dorthin”.

:wink:

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2004-07-22, 21:29

That's the way Creole-languages have develloped in history. ;)

T0MINH0, of course you don't; it reveals the idiocy of those who use it when addressing to them.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-07-23, 7:09

I always thought Gastarbeiter-Deutsch was used for the German spoken by "Gastarbeiter", that's at least how I understand the term.
Please correct my mistakes!

jumichlo

Postby jumichlo » 2004-07-23, 9:31

Car wrote:I always thought Gastarbeiter-Deutsch was used for the German spoken by "Gastarbeiter", that's at least how I understand the term.

Well, you're certainly right.
But I observed very often that Austrians used it without checking first if the foreigner adressed is able to speak a better German anyway.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2004-07-23, 10:51

Yes, that phenomen is unfortunately not unknown here either, so I know what you mean.
Please correct my mistakes!

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2004-07-23, 11:32

There are even persons who talk that way to Germans of foreign ancestry who speak German very well.

duko

Postby duko » 2004-07-23, 13:02

:lol: my Hausmeister speaks that way to me. At first I thought that he was foreign. I can actualy understand Hoch-Deutsch pretty well, so he shouldn't
trouble speaking pidgin. Too bad my speaking skills are still behind, nämlich the active vocabulary.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to “German (Deutsch)”