Danish cinema

Moderator: Mulder-21

ego

Danish cinema

Postby ego » 2005-12-15, 13:50

I am very fond of the Scandinavian cinema but as you can guess, our TV and cinemas here are full of american films. So, could you propose me some nice Danish films to rent them from some dvd club? Thanks a lot :D

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2005-12-15, 15:20

Babettes Gæstebud (Babette's Feast)
This is, I believe, Denmark's most acclaimed film. It is set a couple of centuries ago in a small conservative and religious town. Beautiful scenery, even if monotonously in the same village throughout. It is a light drama with subtle humour. Slow moving film, but atmospheric. It's funny at the end when the feast takes place, and the people are trying not to enjoy the extravagent French meal too much (but failing), made by the Frenchwoman, Babette, due to their beliefs against endulgence.

Pele the Conqueror has a similar feel to it- the old peasant villages and the hardships. A father and son from Sweden try to find work in Denmark and are not welcomed too well by the Swedes who also are battling for their own livelyhoods. There's a bit of Swedish language in it too, as the two main stars don't speak Danish yet at the beginning of the film. I've not finished watching it yet.

Idiots
This is more modern. Babette's Feast was from 1986. This one is post year 2000, I think. It's about a bunch of young adults who go around pretending to be retarded in public. They take pride in 'spazzing out'. It's by Denmark's most well-known director of today, Lars Von Trier. All of his films are quirky. He made Dancer In the Dark, starring Björk.

Lykkevej [i]('Move Me' is its English title)
This is my favourite Danish film. It is a very humorous drama. An older woman tries to start a new life after she divorces her husband for having an affair. The film centres around her and her bizarre neighbours. The whole street is in conflict with one particular man. The main actress tries to get through to him rather than join the hostilities. If you only liked American films, you may not see how funny it is, as it's subtle, but obviously you do look beyond American films, so you may enjoy it too. The main actress, Birte Neumann, is adorable and full of life. Great actress. So much character.

ego

Postby ego » 2005-12-15, 17:14

Thanks a lot Ulven! I have seen Trier's Breaking the Waves and I really loved it although so dramatic it destroyed my mood for many hours. I will look after them for sure. Feel free to tell me about Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic and Finnish films too :P . Just don't tell me their end. Thanks again, I appreciate your help

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-16, 7:36

Where ro start - where to end?

My knowledge is limited to Danish films mostly. There are, of course, those who imitate mainstream films, like 'Den russiske sangerinde' (The Russian singer) and 'Nattevagten' (Nightwatch), the latter was remade in the US. Other remakes include the Norwegian 'Hodet over vannet' (Head above water) and another one; I don't remember the title. It's situated in the most northern part of Norway, a yes: Insomnia.
By the way: I didn't check the international titles or availabilty.

If you liked Babette's Feast, you might also "Fiskerne" whichis situated in a similar environment. Danish films are best when they play on the specific danish situations in small towns and villages. Such a film is "Italiensk for begyndere" (Italian for beginners), in which a group of people almost transcends to a new identity after learning Italian - an experience which Unilangers might recognize. Funny that Italian actually became popular after this film.
Most of the films by director Niels Malmros are situated in Århus, the epitome of Danish province. An exception is the film 'Barbara' which also gives you a chance tolisten Faroese. His 'At kende sandheden' (To know the truth) is a multi-layered film about a doctor who helps and at the same time knows that his help might jeopardize the live of the patient anyhow. In the beginning is a brain surgery (fortunately in b/w); I never been so close to throwing up in a cinema. However, it might be less disgusting on a DVD.
"I Kina spiser de hunde" (In China they eat dogs) is a study about accelerating absurdity - evert turn of the screw seems to be logical, but when you compare the start and the end, you wonder why it ends as it does (OK, you don't want endings...). Another good film by the same director is 'Blinkende lygter' (Flashing lights), where urban gangsters end in a village idyll. This is another of those films that exploits the Danish province.
If you didn't like "Idiots", you still might try "Dogville" by Lars von Trier. I detested 'Idioterne' because of the deliberate technical amateurishness, actually it spoiled me for some time, so that I avoided anything by him. 'Singer is Dark' has a fabulous performance by Björk, although this films lives on exploiting the convetions of musical films. Both films have been labelled here as 'anti-american', but that's utterly rubbish - they are studies in human behaviour which happen to take place in the US.
Pelle the Conqueror is after a novel by Martin Andersen-Nexø. Another already classic movie is "Ditte Menneskebarn" (Ditte, child of man), but its pathos might be difficult to bear for a modern viewer. One should view it as a historical document. Pelle deals with emigrants from Sweden; another good Sedish film is 'Jerusalem', a sect that tries to establish earthly paradise in Palestine. Another one with a historical plot is *Magnetisörens femte vinter" (the magnetist's fifth winter) - but in Swedish films I would without reservation recommend 'Ondskan' (Evil).
As said I don't know very much about films from other scandinavian countries. I once was at a festival here, where I alone saw the swedish film "Kronvittnet" - nobody else cared for that movie.
As to Norwegian, I am fond of Elling, which is about a bunch of outsiders in Oslo. It has a fine understanding for the tragedy in everyday life. The prequel 'Mors Elling' is less successful.

That was a lot of name-dropping, wasn't it? IF you have access to the French-German channel 'Arte', you might have a chance to see some of these films. the French section often has them with French subtitles.
Gentles do not reprehend.

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2005-12-16, 7:56

Yea, I love Scandinavian films :)

I'm searching for the name of an film. It is Norwegian, though. It takes place in Norway, in a small coastal town. One of the main actors is called Johnny. I think the film is called something with Johnny, too. The film depictures the life in that small town, it is very funny and full of absurd scenes, the humour is classy :)

anyone knows what I'm talking about? I'm asking here, because you talk about films. I'd so love to remember the film's name so I could watch it again ! :p

Another good film by the same director is 'Blinkende lygter' (Flashing lights), where urban gangsters end in a village idyll. This is another of those films that exploits the Danish province.

THIS is such a great film !! :)

As to Norwegian, I am fond of Elling, which is about a bunch of outsiders in Oslo. It has a fine understanding for the tragedy in everyday life. The prequel 'Mors Elling' is less successful.

Again, awesome film. This film shows in my opinion what makes Scandinavian film so great. They don't have these boring Hollywood heroes as topic but just heroes of ordinary lives. :p Very, very great :)

--
btw: I receive ARTE. please make this thread sticky or dunno remind me when some good films are gonna be aired :p thanks o.O

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-16, 9:08

Is it you again, Yabba? You must be living here?
The film you mentioned might be Jonny Vang.

I don't know how to make a thread sticky, but I can either announce films here or send a pm to anybody who would want to know.

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2005-12-16, 9:17

pasalupo wrote:Is it you again, Yabba? You must be living here?
The film you mentioned might be Jonny Vang.

I don't know how to make a thread sticky, but I can either announce films here or send a pm to anybody who would want to know.

Oh great :)

It is Johnny Vang, now I know it again, wonderful :)

And, yes I would be very glad if you could announce the films here in this thread or so :) (well, if you happen to know that they air one.. -- I will do likewise )

Scandinavian film is awesome 8)

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-17, 10:48

Maybe you already noticed that 'Italiensk for begyndere' will be broadcast by 3sat on December 21; they'll probably dub it though.

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2005-12-17, 15:02

Det er irriterende, når de dub filmerne, især på dvd. Der er en svenke film, som hedder Tilsammans, som er dubbed på dvd. I det mindst, jeg har set det på fjersynet mange gange alerede.

-It's annoying when they dub films, especially on dvd. There's a Swedish film called Together, which is dubbed on dvd. I don't mind if it has dubbing as an option though, like my Pele the Conqueror dvd. Luckily I've seen Together many times on television already, where it is in the original Swedish language.

Oh yeah, Ego, I have a great suggestion for you :!: :!: :!: ...
Even though the film itself doesn't impress me, it's the perfect dvd to purchase because it has Danish subtitles- word-for-word!!!, not just shorthand translation. So you can follow the subtitles simultaneously as you hear it. I've seen plenty of films with subtitles for the hearing-impaired, but they still aren't word-for-word of what's being said. It's called Elsker Dig Forevigt (Love You Forever). And there's extras which are also in Danish, where the cast and crew attend the film festival where they got an award.
As for what the film is about...
A married doctor gets romantically involved with a patient's girlfriend. Nothing much to tell but that. Great for language-learning. It's the only film I've ever found that has word for word translation subtitles :D

If anyone else knows of dvd's that have word-for-word subtitles, let me know, whether they be Scandinavian languages or not. Tak skal du hav! :)

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2005-12-17, 16:32

I saw the movie OK. do u know it?
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2005-12-17, 16:52

For those who already know the language, it might be interesting t watch the last two episodes of Ørnen, which you can access via [url]dr.dk/oernen[/url]
Ulven, I think that word-for-word translation isn't really helpful, at least it did work for me, when I practised Italian with films via RAI.
Elsker dig for evigt was OK; ir has become a musical in the meantime: :?

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2006-01-24, 11:12

The Danish Ministry of Culture has just announced what they regarf the most important Danish films. They are:

1. Du skal ære din Hustru (Carl Th. Dreyer, 1925)
2. Vredens Dag (Carl Th. Dreyer, 1943)
3. Ditte Menneskebarn (Bjarne Henning-Jensen, 1946)
4. Soldaten og Jenny (Johan Jacobsen, 1947)
5. Sult (Henning Carlsen, 1966)
6. Bennys Badekar (Jannik Hastrup og Flemming Quist Møller, 1971)
7. Matador (Erik Balling, 1978-1982)
8. Kundskabens Træ (Nils Malmros, 1981)
9. Babettes Gæstebud (Gabriel Axel, 1987)
10. Pelle Erobreren (Bille August, 1987)
11. Festen (Thomas Vinterberg, 1998)
12. Idioterne (Lars von Trier, 1998)

An alternative list based on popukar votes includes these films:

1. Festen (Thomas Vinterberg)
2. Pelle Erobreren (Bille August)
3. Matador (Erik Balling)
4. Kundskabens Træ, 1981 (Nils Malmros)
5. Olsen banden (Erik Balling)
6. Bænken (Per Fly)
7. Riget (Kingdom) (Lars von Trier)
8. Zappa (Bille August)
9. Breaking the Waves (Lars von Trier)
10. Babettes Gæstebud (Gabriel Axel)
11. Arven (Per Fly)
12. Drengene fra Sankt Petri (Søren Kragh-Jacobsen)

ego

Postby ego » 2006-01-24, 13:32

I have watched the Idiots.. I think it was an awful film. The name really fits.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2006-01-25, 6:04

Agreed - I think it's extremely overrated. When I saw this film for the first time, it made me suspicious of the complete Dogma concept.
As I said before, there is -imho- more substance in Dogville and Dancer in the Dark.

pasalupo

Learn Danish by seeing a film?

Postby pasalupo » 2006-03-03, 6:41

At http://www.avistid.dk you can see small films instructed by Lone Scherfig, Susanne Bier and Søren Kragh-Jacobsen. I know somebody who needs to practise Danish. His language skills are rather elementary, so we need to explain almost everything. If there is a Unilanger who wants to join us ans learn a little bit of Danish, please send me a little note.
It's going to be an experiment (since I am not a language teacher), but I'm sure that it's going to be fun as well.

Anesthesia

Postby Anesthesia » 2006-05-26, 12:47

I'm a huge fan of Scandinavian movies, beside Spanish. Unfortunately, it's very hard to find them or rent them from a video store or something. So, I usually watch them on FEST (Belgrade International Film Festival). I've seen: "Hawaii, Oslo", "Mitt elskede barn", "Ikke naken", "Monstertorsdag", "Tilbake til begynelsen", "Salto, salmiakk og kaffe", "Folk flest bor i Kina", "Lilja 4-ever" (which is in Russian, but the director is Swedish), "Voksne mennesker" (it's Danish, one of the best comedies I've ever seen!). Anyways, I recommend all of these, if you're a fan, except maybe Monstertorsdag, it's a bit weaker comparing to the rest.

Jonne

Postby Jonne » 2006-05-26, 16:01

I haven't seen many Finnish films..but here are a couple of them:

Matti imdb
Paha maa (Frozen Land) imdb
Tyttö sinä olet tähti imdb
Fc Venus imdb

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-08-06, 15:18

Jonne wrote:I haven't seen many Finnish films..but here are a couple of them:

Matti imdb
Paha maa (Frozen Land) imdb
Tyttö sinä olet tähti imdb
Fc Venus imdb

I just watched Mies vailla menneisyyttä(Man without a past) and I loved it :) Beautiful story. I will next watch "Matti" soon, let's see how it is :)

About Swedish films, just read the old posts here and saw that Pasalupo already recommended Ondskan. I happened to watch that one lately, too. Shocking film but very touching and good. The role of "Ponti" was superb, and I fell in love with Marja :P

Danish films: Finally I have also seen Festen by Lars von Trier, great thing :) I can understand why it is praisen so much.

Other films from Scandinavia that haven't been mentioned here so far are: Naboer and Insomnia from Norway. Also Gamla Maend i nye biler from Denmark again :)

Update:
Watched Matti. Dunno. Didn't like it so much... :roll: Stupid Ski-jumpers... :twisted:

allemaalmeezinge

Postby allemaalmeezinge » 2006-08-30, 19:38

I have watched Dogville and I'm deeply impressed. I think I can't recall having seen something comparable, especially as regarding the topic of forgiveness in the last chapter. Forgiveness and moral. When Grace's father tells her: "Does every human being need to be accountable for their action. Of course they do. But you don't even give them that chance.", just before they burn down the village, that's one of the most impressing things I have seen on celluloid. I watched Trier films before, yes, but in my opinion the topics werent as hot as that one. Well to some degrees. I found Breaking the Waves good, yes, but the topic seemed pretty old to me, pardon. Unlike some of you here I liked The Idiots very much, the topic was more interesting and something newer than in Breaking the Waves, but the film lacked a real peak, an climax where everything would come with the full strength. In dogville this is existent and like I said before this last conversation with her father, the gangster boss, in the car is just terrific. And the massive consequences carried out by this that break onto the viewer thereafter. That's awesome.......

0stsee

Danish movies

Postby 0stsee » 2007-08-30, 11:28

The Danish movies:

Adam's Apple (Adam's Aeble?) and After the Wedding (Efter broellopet?) are very good.
In both of them Mads Mikkelsen plays the main role.

MarK

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”