Dansk translations

Moderator:Mulder-21

aitía
Dansk translations

Postby aitía » 2021-05-02, 15:59

Hello, I require help with the following translations to Standard Danish:

Coordinating conjunction = Koordinering konjuktion ?
Correlative conjunction = Korrelativ konjuktion ?
Subordinating conjunction = Underordnet konjuktion ?
3rd Person verb = ? udsagnsord
Gerund verb = ? udsagnsord
Infinitive verb = ? udsagnsord
Modal verb = ? udsagnsord
Past verb = Forbi udsagnsord ?

Are my translations korrekt? Could you help me with the ones missing?

Woods

Re: Dansk translations

Postby Woods » 2021-05-02, 16:56

aitía wrote:Hello, I require help with the following translations to Standard Danish:

Coordinating conjunction = Koordinering konjuktion ?
Correlative conjunction = Korrelativ konjuktion ?
Subordinating conjunction = Underordnet konjuktion ?
3rd Person verb = ? udsagnsord
Gerund verb = ? udsagnsord
Infinitive verb = ? udsagnsord
Modal verb = ? udsagnsord
Past verb = Forbi udsagnsord ?

Are my translations korrekt? Could you help me with the ones missing?

Hm, the striking mistake is the missing -n- in konjunktion. I'm no grammar expert and haven't read much grammar in Danish, so I don't really know these things, but if you have found any info about these terms (i.e. sites which explain what an underordnet konjunktion is and so on, I can read them and confirm if it's the thing.

If I were you, I would just find a Danish text covering the topic and read through it. In ordnet.dk, which is the main free resource and and a pretty nice dictionary, Underordnet is subordinate, but in the sense of a person lower in rank to another person. Logically, it could also apply to a grammatical construction, but I'm not sure.

Udsagnsord sounds cool, cause it's Danish and not Latin, but I think people would say "verbum."

You can also use the Danish section on linguee for more scientific texts, so there you will probably find the answers you are looking for.

In any case, don't translate word by word but the whole expressions, cause otherwise you may come up with something very messed up.

Check there or google the expressions and if you find the terms mentioned in a Danish text, paste it here and I will read it and tell you if they correspond.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any Danes here for quite some time, and even less so ones that are actually interested in grammar.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2021-05-04, 8:40

You don't actually seem to be learning Danish, but rather try to use this forum as an extension of Google Translate.

That first thing is very much something for English, and thus doesn't really have an equivalent in Danish. There are conjunctions that work in a similar way, of course, but not a 1:1 equivalent.

The same goes for the second class of conjunctions as well, they are just another set of conjunctions.

------------

You translate from a language that you're fluent in into your native language. And you need to have really good command of said native language too, way better than the average speaker.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

aitía

Postby aitía » 2021-05-06, 15:50

@Woods Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I was already knowledgeable about the Latin equivalents and my learning confusion must have led me to this error.

@Johanna You should be more specific in your response than 'That first thing' and less critical of learners since it's difficult to immerse oneself in a foreign language.

Det ser ud til, at ingen af ​​jer er dansk, jeg skriver her i håb om at modtage danske forståelse.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2021-05-07, 11:15

aitía wrote:I was already knowledgeable about the Latin equivalents and my learning confusion must have led me to this error.

It's not an error, I don't think many people would use the Danish equivalents but maybe some do, don't take my word for granted.

So what's the deal - you've decided to learn Danish and you want to start with the grammar terms?

Did you check if Linguee has them or find texts in Danish?

I believe that if you find a recent Danish grammar and read through it, a lot of it will be understandable even if you're at level zero, since the language is very similar to English. Of course - with a dictionary by your side, and I already recommended you one.

So welcome to UniLang! People usually start with introducing themselves ;)

If you quote someone by pressing the button at the top right, they get a notification that you're answering to one of their posts.

Johanna wrote:You translate from a language that you're fluent in into your native language. And you need to have really good command of said native language too, way better than the average speaker.

Jo, again we disagree - by saying that translation to a language is only for natives, you're stating that it's not possible for anyone to reach and outreach a native's level of command. It is not right to put limits on people like that. Also, outstanding level of command is only needed in some areas - usually the topic that the text belongs to - and that does not necessarily come from being native. I'd much rather have a mechanical engineer from Bulgaria who has studied in France translate something about mechanical engineering for me from Bulgarian to French, than an native French person with a doctor's degree in French language who knows nothing about mechanical engineering and still makes grammar mistakes when writing their native language (based on a true story). It is also not true that one needs good command of a language to translate from it - I've translated from Norwegian for example, which according to some people in this forum is a language of its own, and if it is such, then I know almost nothing about it - except that it's technically misspelt Danish. My opinion again :D

aitía wrote:Det ser ud til, at ingen af ​​jer er dansk, jeg skriver her i håb om at modtage danske forståelse.

Hvad mener du med "dansk forståelse"? Jeg synes ikke at danskere er meget forstående når det drejer sig om at forklare deres sprog til studerende. Det er mere at de gerne vil have, at man taler sproget når man opholder sig i Danmark, men man allerede skal have lært det på et godt niveau for at få lov til at praktisere. Dvs. ingen vil skrue tempoet ned når de ser, at du ikke kan adskille et ord af det de siger :|

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”