Dansk - Elaine

Moderator:Mulder-21

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator
Dansk - Elaine

Postby Multiturquoise » 2013-11-14, 14:16

Hej!

I’m trying to improve my Danish. I’ll ask my questions about Danish on this thread. This is my personal thread.

Jeg prøver at forbedre mit dansk. Jeg vil spørge mine spørgsmål på denne tråd. Dette er min personlig tråd.
Last edited by Multiturquoise on 2017-05-27, 21:26, edited 3 times in total.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Brikken

Re: Dansk - boracasli

Postby Brikken » 2013-11-15, 5:31

boracasli wrote:Jeg prøver at forbedre mit dansk. Jeg vil spørge stille mine spørgsmål i denne tråd. Dette er min personlige tråd.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Dansk - Eibhlín

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-01-21, 14:46

I'll ask something. What are the differences between spørge and stille?
Jeg vil stille noget. Hvad er forskellene mellem spørge og stille?

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-01-23, 14:22

Spørge is intransitive and takes an indirect object. You wouldn't use it in this case since "mine spørgsmål" is a direct object (your original phrasing was grammatical, but it meant "ask (to) my questions" as though "my questions" were persons).

Also note that spørge doesn't necessarily imply a question, so it could also be used about, e.g., requests: Spørg ham om du må gøre det. Ask him if you may do it.

Stille, when meaning "ask," always takes spørgsmål as its direct object and can optionally take an indirect object. Since it specifically means "question," it wouldn't be used about, e.g., a request.

Since there's no indirect object in the sentence, "stille mine spørgsmål" is the way to go here. If there had been an indirect object, you could have had either "stille jer mine spørgsmål" or "spørge jer," but in the latter case you should specify "om dansk grammatik" (or something similar) or it would sound ambiguous (since spørge can also be used about requests and such).

I hope that makes sense. :)

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-01-23, 14:34

Now I understand the difference. And I want to say that I'm using Den Danske Ordbog as a reference for learning the articles of the words.

Nu jeg forstår forskellen. Og jeg ønsker at sige, at jeg bruger Den Danske Ordbog som en reference for at lære ords artikler.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2014-04-04, 11:32

Jeg skal prøve at forklare det HoneyBuzzard sagde på en nemmere måde, og på dansk eftersom vi er på det danske forum! På de indoeuropæiske sprog, man ikke bruger to ord der kommer fra den samme familie i den samme sætning – dvs. man ikke kan bruge ”spørge” og ”spørgsmål” samtidigt fordi det lyder dumt. Derfor siger man ”stille et spørgsmål”, for at vise nogen (spørgsmål til de dansk-talende - må jeg bruge "nogle" her?) fantasi og opfindsomhed, ved at bruge to forskellige ord for at udrette sit udtryk. Derimod, så vidt jeg har hørt, er denne kombination okay til at bruge i nogle andre sprog – f.eks. på finsk kan man godt sige ”hän kysyy kysymyksen” (bogstaveligt ”han spørger spørgsmålet”) – måske er det lignende på tyrkisk?

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2014-05-20, 3:48

Hei alle sammen! Helt ærligt så er jeg ikke specielt god til dansk men jeg skal prøve at skrive noget lol

Jeg sad lige og lagde mærke denne tråd så tænkte bare at skrive noget her. :D

Selvom jeg er glad for, at I er klar til at hjælpe mig og andre. Tak! :)

Mulder-21

Postby Mulder-21 » 2014-06-08, 9:20

Eibhlín wrote:Now I understand the difference. And I want to say that I'm using Den Danske Ordbog as a reference for learning the articles of the words.

Nu jeg forstår forskellen. Og jeg ønsker at sige, at jeg bruger Den Danske Ordbog som en reference for at lære ords artikler.

Colour by me.

This is something really important to know about Germanic (English excepted) in general. / Der er noget meget vigtigt at vide om germansk (engelsk undtaget) generelt.

The verb must in general always be on the 2nd position of the sentence (3rd if it beings with a conjunction). / Udsagnsordet (verbet) skal som en tommelregel altid være nr. 2 i sætningen. (nr. 3, hvis den begynder med en konjunktion).

So that's why the red should read: Nu forstår jeg forskellen. :) / Så derfor skal det i rødt være: Nu forstår jeg forskellen. :)
Gløgt er gestsins eyga. (Føroyskt orðafelli)
Wise is the stranger's eye. (Faroese saying)
L'occhio dell'ospite è acuto. (Proverbio faroico)
Hosťovo oko je múdre. (Faerské uslovie)

Fluent: Faroese, Danish, English, German
Almost fluent: Norwegian, Swedish
Basic: Slovak (studying), Spanish
Have studied: Hebrew, Russian
Interests: Ukrainian, Romanian, Italian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Hungarian, Estonian, Baltic languages

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2014-07-18, 14:53

I always make silly mistakes, although I know the rules :( My bad, sorry...

I'm currently trying to improve my Danish, and I will buy some books:
Jeg prøver for tiden at forbedre min dansk, og jeg kommer at købe nogle bøger:
e.g.
Colloquial Danish
Teach Yourself Complete Danish
Danish: An Essential Grammar
Danish: A Comprehensive Grammar

And I want to ask you something:
Are Politiken's Danish-English bidirectional dictionaries good and detailed enough? Unfortunately, I can't find any Danish dictionary that shows the articles of nouns here in Turkey. The ones that I found don't show the genders of nouns.

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-07-19, 7:16

I don't know, but I'm sure they list the genders as well as the plural forms. Dictionaries made in Denmark always do in my experience, and books from Politiken are standard references. I can't imagine they would leave that out. I don't own one though, so I can't say for sure.

If you want, I can stop by a book store next week and see if they have one. :)

Marcellus

Postby Marcellus » 2014-07-19, 9:53

Really? My experience is that bilingual Danish dictionaries pretty much invariably do not include the gender, declension, or pronunciation of words (well, maybe the gender--though my Gyldendal dansk/tysk only has such for the German words--but never the other information). The reason for this is that they're pretty much always intended for Danes translating from the other language--even those dictionaries marketed to non-Danes are usually just repackaging of a Røde Gyldendal dictionary or the like (well, the good ones, anyway), and will conveniently feature such information for the other language, but never for Danish, which can be a bit frustrating.

If you want gender, plurals, pronunciation and the like, a monolingual Danish dictionary is decidedly the way to go. Of course, if it comes to that, your best choice is probably free and online--namely Den Danske Ordbog, which, unencumbered by things like page space limits, is typically far more comprehensive and offers far more information than even the multi-volume Gyldendal in print. It's pretty much my primary source for checking the gender, declension, and etymology of Danish words.

On a side note, from what I understand, Danish: An Essential Grammar is really just a condensed version of Danish: A Comprehensive Grammar, so there's little reason to by both. I've used the Essential version myself, and it's pretty good on its own merits (good both as a refresher as well as pointing out some little quirks of grammar), but I'd imagine that of the two, the Comprehensive would ultimately prove significantly more...well, comprehensive, and thus the better purchase, should you have the purchasing power (now me, I just usually go with whatever the library has available...).

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2014-07-22, 19:03

You're right, they don't list the genders. I stopped by a book store today, and while they didn't have the Danish-English one from Politiken, the ones they did have, including things like Danish-French, did not list the genders or plural forms. The only Danish dictionary I own is monolingual, so that's probably where I got the idea.

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”