Hej

Moderator: Mulder-21

alanandersen

Hej

Postby alanandersen » 2010-12-25, 16:45

Hej alle,

I'm very interested in learning Danish but I don't know where to start! I've been searching online for help and I found this website and I thought it would be a great way to start. I've also changed my facebook to Danish haha. I also want to travel to Denmark but I am unfamiliar with the process. If anyone can suggest any resources that would be great! Oh and I was wondering what your view is on Rosetta Stone. Currently they only have a level 1 kit for Danish.

hashi

Re: Hej

Postby hashi » 2010-12-26, 4:55

alanandersen wrote:Hej alle,

I'm very interested in learning Danish but I don't know where to start! I've been searching online for help and I found this website and I thought it would be a great way to start. I've also changed my facebook to Danish haha. I also want to travel to Denmark but I am unfamiliar with the process. If anyone can suggest any resources that would be great! Oh and I was wondering what your view is on Rosetta Stone. Currently they only have a level 1 kit for Danish.

I can help with the Rosetta Stone suggestion, it's an expensive way to buy shit basically. There are probably better resources on the internet which are completely free if you know where to look and how to use them effectively.

As for travelling to Denmark, should that not be as travelling anywhere else??

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-12-26, 6:44

Hej! Velkommen!

Hashi is 100% right, no doubt about it. As far as traveling Denmark, you're an American citizen, right? If so, all you need to do is get your passport, you don't have to apply for a visa (but you might if you decide to go other places). That's really it for the legal aspects.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

alanandersen

Postby alanandersen » 2010-12-26, 18:37

Thanks for the help! I'll probably skip on the Rosetta Stone then. I've only ever traveled to Mexico on holiday and it wasn't a very difficult process so I was unsure how traveling elsewhere would be.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2010-12-26, 22:29

alanandersen wrote:Thanks for the help! I'll probably skip on the Rosetta Stone then. I've only ever traveled to Mexico on holiday and it wasn't a very difficult process so I was unsure how traveling elsewhere would be.
It'll be pretty similar, really. Here's some more info. As long as you've got a passport that's valid for three months after your stay (so say that you go in September, you're passport can't expire until after December) you'll be good. Additionally, Denmark is a part of the url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area]Schengen area[/url], so you don't have to get a separate visa to travel to any other countries in it.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-06, 21:11

n/a
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-16, 23:30, edited 3 times in total.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2011-01-06, 22:01

Close to fluent? Ok, I don't actually speak Danish, but it's very similar to my native language and I understand it very well, and to me that looked a lot like Google Translate and not something that anyone who knows the language on a decent level would say.

I know people have talked to you about this before, and I think you should try to get your knowledge of all the languages you speak evaluated by others before making claims about your level in them. That way people won't be irritated if you think you know a language better than you actually do. Just some friendly advice :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-06, 22:32

n/a
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-16, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2011-01-06, 23:13

The singular definite of the noun "help" and the infinitive of the verb "help" are different in both languages ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-06, 23:22

n/a

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-01-06, 23:36

I agree with Johanna. Even though she doesn't speak Danish, she can still judge your basic grammar. If I am not wrong there are also a few other mistakes:

My Norwegian tells me it's ''på dansk'' instead of ''i Dansk'', inversion after ''derfor'' and ''kontakt'' instead of ''kontakte''.

''med at lære Dansk'' sounds odd, but I won't comment on it, because I have never learned any Danish, myself.

Let's wait for the natives, shall we? :)

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2011-01-06, 23:47

And "dansk" should not be capitalised. I think you are supposed to know that as soon as you're close to fluent.
Last edited by gothwolf on 2011-01-06, 23:53, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-06, 23:52

n/a

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-07, 0:00

n/a
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-16, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2011-01-07, 0:02

Yes, but that means that you've missed the lesson about languages and nationalities which usually is at the very beginning of each language course. That's why I don't think your language skills are good enough for helping other people with Danish.

Unknown

Postby Unknown » 2011-01-07, 0:07

n/a
Last edited by Unknown on 2011-12-16, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2011-01-07, 0:08

Cesare M. wrote:
Rumpetroll wrote:I agree with Johanna. Even though she doesn't speak Danish, she can still judge your basic grammar. If I am not wrong there are also a few other mistakes:

My Norwegian tells me it's ''på dansk'' instead of ''i Dansk'', inversion after ''derfor'' and ''kontakt'' instead of ''kontakte''.

''med at lære Dansk'' sounds odd, but I won't comment on it, because I have never learned any Danish, myself.

Let's wait for the natives, shall we? :)

In Danish it's "kontakte" because you are using it as a verb. Also yes you are right that I should have written på dansk, but again that was a small mistake. But yes you are right about på dansk. The rest is correct, from what I have learned.

Yeah, it is a verb, but I thought that the imperative mood is built by dropping the -e from the infinitive.

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2011-01-07, 0:14

OK, I'll wait for a native speaker to check your post and then if it's necessary I'll apologize to you.

P.S. [flag]bg[/flag] Виждам, че в профила си си отбелязал, че говориш български разговорно, то тогава не бих имал нищо против да проверя познанията ти и по родния ми език и тогава ще мога да си направя правилна преценка за твоите езикови способности.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2011-01-07, 6:13

Cesare M. wrote:I am close to fluency in Danish and therefore can speak Danish very good. I can help you learn Danish, so please contact me. Thanks.

Jeg er tæt på flydende på dansk, og derfor, kan jeg tale dansk meget godt. Jeg kan hjælpe dig med at lære Dansk, så kontakt mig, tak.

- Derfor is a V2 word. That means that when you use it, you invert the subject and the verb.
- Johanna is correct. Swedish and Danish are incredibly similar, you could probably just go with her recommendation. (Also, no need to be rude to natives trying to help you).
- 'Please' in Danish is somewhat difficult - there's not direct translation. So I just offered another phrasing that I've seen a lot.

Naturligvis husk, at dansk er ikk' mit modersmål, så nogle gange laver jeg fejler. Men du må ikk' sige tinge, der er ikk' sandt. Du laver nogle grundlæggende fejler - nogle gange laver jeg det også, men jeg prøver ikk' at lyve. Ydmyghed er en dyd.

Marcellus

Postby Marcellus » 2011-01-07, 9:17

ILuvEire wrote:Naturligvis husk, at dansk ikke er mit modersmål, så ad og til gør jeg fejler. Men du må ikk' sige tinge, der ikke er sandt. Du gør nogle grundlæggende fejler - ad og til gør jeg det også, men jeg prøver ikk' at lyve. Ydmyghed er en dyd.

Jeg må dog sige--hvis der nogen sinde var et ord, at skrive fejl, er det sikkert ordet "fejl".

Læg dog mærke til, at jeg også ikke er en indfødte taler af dansk, og derfor formodentligt også gør nogle fejl her. Det er altså nødvendigt, at en tredje person der ikke har dansk som modersmål viser på mine fejl, og en fjerde på denne persons, osv. Vi skal bare se, hvor længe vi kan fortsætte kæden. Det er en meget bedre leg en "Personen under mig", ikke?

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”