In need of a Danish to English Translation

Moderator: Mulder-21

Ryan2377

In need of a Danish to English Translation

Postby Ryan2377 » 2009-09-13, 7:00

Hi everyone! All of my grandparents were from Denmark (arrived during WWII) and I wanted to get a tattoo in Danish. What I need translated is:

"Death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain"

I would be more than grateful if somebody were to help me out!

Thanks,

Ryan

Jayan

Re: In need of a Danish to English Translation

Postby Jayan » 2009-09-13, 18:53

OK, I'll try, but do NOT get this put on your body permanently until you get a native to check it :) :?

Døden er lettere end en fjer, skyldigheden tungere end et bjerg.

I'm not sure about the grammar (poetical langauge is not my strong suit in Danish), but I'm fairly confident about the vocabulary. Of course, the best way for someone (especially with such a strong danish background as you) to get this is to learn the langauge :D
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-09-14, 3:58

Jayan wrote:OK, I'll try, but do NOT get this put on your body permanently until you get a native to check it :) :?

I'm not sure about the grammar (poetical langauge is not my strong suit in Danish), but I'm fairly confident about the vocabulary. Of course, the best way for someone (especially with such a strong danish background as you) to get this is to learn the langauge :D

Hmm, my dictionary translates "skylighed" as just obligation. I think a better translation might be "pligt." So:

"Døden er lettere end en fjer, pligten tungere end et bjerg"

But yeah, like Jayan said, wait for a native. Oh, and of course, the best way to honour your ancestors would be joining us here on the Danish forum :whistle:
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-09-14, 5:57

ILuvEire wrote:
Jayan wrote:OK, I'll try, but do NOT get this put on your body permanently until you get a native to check it :) :?

Hmm, my dictionary translates "skylighed" as just obligation. I think a better translation might be "pligt." So:

"Døden er lettere end en fjer, pligten tungere end et bjerg"

But yeah, like Jayan said, wait for a native. Oh, and of course, the best way to honour your ancestors would be joining us here on the Danish forum :whistle:

You're correct. It's
"Døden er lettere end en fjer, pligten tungere end et bjerg".

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2009-09-15, 13:38

hmph...Tyler, you beat me again! :evil: ( :) )
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-09-15, 23:03

Jayan wrote:hmph...Tyler, you beat me again! :evil: ( :) )

Hah, to for Tyler, og titusind for Jayan. :P
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”