Help with pronunciation of name

Moderator: Mulder-21

Martinbr

Help with pronunciation of name

Postby Martinbr » 2009-06-16, 14:03

Hello!

Could someone please tell me how to pronounce the name Thomas Buttenschøn? It's the letter combination "sch" that I haven't come across before, and I don't have a clue of how to pronounce it.

Thanks in advance!
Martin

SImon Gray

Re: Help with pronunciation of name

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-06-16, 15:24

The "sch" combination looks pretty German to me and I see that you're a native speaker, so (and honestly, I mean this in a totally non-derogatory way) wouldn't it be easier for you to tell someone like me how to pronounce it...? :)

But anyway, "sch" like in German or just "sh" for an approximated (and less German-sounding) pronunciation which would probably be more common in Denmark.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-06-16, 15:55

So Buttenschøn would be similar to "Buttensjøn"?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-06-16, 18:28

ILuvEire wrote:So Buttenschøn would be similar to "Buttensjøn"?

Yeah. At least, I wouldn't pronounce them differently, but you never know with names; some people with fancy surnames insist on pronouncing them according to foreign orthography.

hekkenfeldt

Postby hekkenfeldt » 2009-06-16, 18:45

In this case, though, it's definitely [Buttensjøn]. He's a pretty well-known musician in Denmark, and I've never heard anyone pronounce it differently.
Please correct me!

Martinbr

Postby Martinbr » 2009-06-16, 21:38

Yes, hekkenfeldt, it's the singer Thomas Buttenschøn I meant. Perhaps I'll buy one of his CDs while I'm on holiday in Denmark next month, and I wanted to know what to ask the shop assistant for, that's why I poated my question. Thanks for all your replies!

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-06-16, 22:13

Something else about this, do you Danish speakers say it with [ʃ] or [ɕ]?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-06-16, 22:20

ILuvEire wrote:Something else about this, do you Danish speakers say it with [ʃ] or [ɕ]?

I have no idea what either of those sound like. Do you have any example words?

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2009-06-18, 0:14

ILuvEire wrote:Something else about this, do you Danish speakers say it with [ʃ] or [ɕ]?

From what I've observed (not necessarily correct :? :oops: ), most of the time it's [ʃ], but [ɕ] occurs sometimes. The main time I've noticed [ɕ] is in rapid speech. I'm not sure if that's right, though.

@SImon: du kan lytte til IPA-lydstaverne på denne side (http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/c ... IPAlab.htm).
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-06-18, 9:44

Jayan wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:@SImon: du kan lytte til IPA-lydstaverne på denne side (http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/c ... IPAlab.htm).

Ok... I want to say something in between both of those...? The closest would be [ɕ] but definitely not as sharply as that guy pronounces it. What's the slurred version of [ɕ] called? :P

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2009-06-18, 13:49

SImon Gray wrote:
Jayan wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:@SImon: du kan lytte til IPA-lydstaverne på denne side (http://web.uvic.ca/ling/resources/ipa/c ... IPAlab.htm).

Ok... I want to say something in between both of those...? The closest would be [ɕ] but definitely not as sharply as that guy pronounces it. What's the slurred version of [ɕ] called? :P

:lol: Well, I'd call it slurred [ɕ], but I'm sure that's wrong :P

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”