Huset / æ hus

Moderator: Mulder-21

ILuvEire

Huset / æ hus

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-05-11, 20:31

I was reading Wikipedia's article on the Danish language, and it indicates that half of Jutland doesn't use an affix to indicate the definite article.

Could someone explain this?
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Jayan

Re: Huset / æ hus

Postby Jayan » 2009-05-11, 20:56

Well, I'm not a native speaker, so I'm not going to comment on the Wikipedia thing, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were true :totalshock: (I always wanted to use that smiley). I think that that it would be smart to learn the article, becuase that kind of thing would be very dialect-driven and unless I'm mistaken, the dialekts are dying in Denmark.

Still, I must say, it's interesting. There should be some dialect preservation project...
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2009-05-12, 4:26

ILuvEire wrote:I was reading Wikipedia's article on the Danish language, and it indicates that half of Jutland doesn't use an affix to indicate the definite article.

The numbers show how the region(s) preceive gender. Some have only one... some only have two (common and neuter)... some only have three (masculine, feminine, and neuter).
Neferuj paħujkij!

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-05-14, 3:56

Oh yeah, I got that part, but I was more curious about the "æ hus" bit.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2009-05-14, 4:07

Oh, it's explained there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jutlandic

Western, southern and some eastern Jutlandic dialects place the definite article in front of the noun, similar to most European languages, but unlike all other Scandinavian languages which place the definite article after the noun as a suffix: Jutlandic æ hus, æ mand, Standard Danish huset, manden ('the house', 'the man').

Basically it means that the placement of articles are like in English and German.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Jayan

Postby Jayan » 2009-05-14, 21:16

Weird...
[flag]zh[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] | [flag]id[/flag] [flag]is[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] | [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-05-14, 22:26

ILuvEire wrote:I was reading Wikipedia's article on the Danish language, and it indicates that half of Jutland doesn't use an affix to indicate the definite article.

Not half. More like 1-2%. The illustrations on Wikipedia are nice, but they don't exactly paint a very true picture of dialects in Denmark.

Very few people in Denmark speak a dialect these days, although people from Jutland, Funen. and Bornholm all have distinct accents (I'm from northern Zealand, so to me Jutlanders speak in a slow, drawn out way and Bornholmers speak with a sing-songy accent). Dialects such as sønderjydsk are for the most part restricted to elderly people in the countryside; in fact, the stereotypical Sønderjydsk speaker is an old farmer from the the south of Jutland and it's pretty much true these days. If you want to hear what it sounds like, there is a rapper called L:Ron:Harald who raps in that dialect (but it's quite understandable compared to most Sønderjydsk). He's not big at all in DK, but he did have a cult hit back in the nineties rapping about his car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUNrhJ4HaFI&feature=related

Here's another one he did about bestiality (tongue in cheek, obviously):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-rf7o9T ... re=related

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-05-15, 0:33

That sucks! Jeg elsker dialekter. :(

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”