Help with Master thesis

Moderator: Mulder-21

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Help with Master thesis

Postby Aurinĭa » 2009-05-07, 15:40

I'm writing my Master thesis about the translation of Peter Høeg's 'Frøken Smillas fornemmelse for sne'. I'm focusing on the translation of culture specific terms, but there are some terms I don't really understand.

Is it true that 'det hvide snit' can mean lobotomy? It says so in the Dutch translation. Would the average person think of lobotomy when reading "Således er tilnavnet ganske vist sårende for os der bor her, men alligevel stort sett korrekt"? 'Det hvide snit' is the nickname of the building Smilla lives in.

What exactly is 'grødis'?
What can be meant with 'afkrydsningskort fra Rudolph Berg'?
I understood 'hoved- og bikort' have something to do with taxes?

More to follow.

I wrote in English, because my Danish is not good enough to write in it, but you can answer in Danish.

Phileas

Re: Help with Master thesis

Postby Phileas » 2009-05-08, 19:00

'Det hvide snit' is indeed a lobotomy. I'm not entirely sure about 'grødis,' but intuitively I would think it is slush-ice. I'm afraid I've never heard of the other terms.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2009-05-09, 23:12

Takk!

'Dat hvide snit' was the most important, so it's good that I know that for sure now.
As for grødis, it should be some kind of stadium between water and icem so you could be right there.

SImon Gray

Postby SImon Gray » 2009-05-10, 0:06

melan wrote:I understood 'hoved- og bikort' have something to do with taxes?

These are the name of some forms in the Danish tax system. You report your expected earnings for the coming year and then it's written on your hovedkort/bikort for some administrative purpose. How it all works is beyond me, though :)

Never heard of grødis, but it's an old book, so I guess that's some archaic word. Probably just regular ice-cream (slush-ice didn't exist back then to my knowledge).

"Afkrydsningskort" is just a form with tick boxes; don't know anyone called Rudolph Berg.

HoneyBuzzard

Postby HoneyBuzzard » 2009-05-10, 9:10

Hmm, could it be Rudolph Bergh? He worked with STDs in the late nineteenth century and had a sexual health clinic named after him.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2009-05-11, 21:26

HoneyBuzzard wrote:Hmm, could it be Rudolph Bergh? He worked with STDs in the late nineteenth century and had a sexual health clinic named after him.

That'll be him. It's indeed with -h.

hanne

Postby hanne » 2009-06-05, 10:53

Hehe, I think you're a bit off with your guesses on grødis - it has nothing to do with ice cream :). It's ice on the sea: http://galathea3.emu.dk/satelliteeye/ca ... r3/ex.html (the explanation is in Danish, I hope that's ok...)

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”