meaning of "mon" i wonder

Moderator: Mulder-21

chattymatty

meaning of "mon" i wonder

Postby chattymatty » 2007-02-18, 5:12

i was wondering what "ja mon ikke" and "nej mon" were -- do they mean the same? how do they differ or are they similar? can one even say "ja mon"?

óðinn

Postby óðinn » 2007-02-18, 10:38

mon
~ dog! (stærkt tvivlende) I doubt it; I doubt that;
* I wonder if she ever thinks about me; would I buy a new Volvo 850 if I had the money? You bet (ja mon ikke) ; I guess his wife knew about his extramarital affairs.

Fodnot
I might come from the Nordic root /mun-/ which meant (think,intend,will,shall,mean etc.) like the modern Icelandic /munu/ (shall/will).

SImon Gray

Re: meaning of "mon" i wonder

Postby SImon Gray » 2007-02-18, 13:34

chattymatty wrote:i was wondering what "ja mon ikke" and "nej mon" were -- do they mean the same? how do they differ or are they similar? can one even say "ja mon"?

I can't translate the sentences directly so I'll just give you some examples:

"Mon ikke det er en god film?" =

"Don't you think it'll be a good movie?"

or in a rhetorical sense
"It's probably a good movie"

"Mon det er en god film?" =

Do you think it'll be a good movie?

or in a rhetorical sense

I wonder if it's a good movie...

As you can see it correponds to the use of do and don't when making questions in English!

"mon" and "mon ikke" denotes doubt. If you say "mon" it means you're unsure and leaning to the negative answer, if you use "mon ikke" you're closer to believing in the positive answer. Putting "ja" or "nej" in front of these sentences don't really change them.

Hunef

Postby Hunef » 2007-02-18, 15:11

Danish mon seems to be the same as Swedish månne. For example, Finns det månne något farligt djur i närheten? = 'Is there a dangerous beast near, I wonder?' Another way of writing the same sentence is Finns det något farligt djur i närheten, mån tro?, which is closer to the English syntax. The word mon (Swedish mån, månne) is cognate with English 'mind'.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan

Return to “Danish (Dansk)”