Spanish Study Group

Moderator:Iván

dEhiN
Re: Spanish Study Group

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-05, 18:22

I knew that Spanish was pro-drop, but my understanding was that it doesn't matter that much if it's included. I've learned that generally the pronoun is used in cases where it's not obvious (like 3rd person singular and maybe plural) or for emphasis. But I still thought that even outside those two situations, you could include the pronoun and it would be alright. It just might make you sound non-native. So that's why I was surprised when Vijay struck it out as if it were incorrect of me to include it.

Also, regarding the tilde, I thought that because está is the 3rd singular (and 2nd polite singular) present tense of estar, you write ésta to distinguish "this". But, I just looked it up on Wiktionary, and apparently that's only the case for the pronoun "this one", while what I used, the adjective, doesn't use any tilde.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-12-06, 1:05

dEhiN wrote:I knew that Spanish was pro-drop, but my understanding was that it doesn't matter that much if it's included. I've learned that generally the pronoun is used in cases where it's not obvious (like 3rd person singular and maybe plural) or for emphasis. But I still thought that even outside those two situations, you could include the pronoun and it would be alright. It just might make you sound non-native. So that's why I was surprised when Vijay struck it out as if it were incorrect of me to include it.

I don't consider it incorrect to include it. I do think your original word order (¿nosotros vemos el próximo episodio por esta semana?) sounds unnatural, though, so I would either ask "¿vemos nosotros el próximo episodio por esta semana?" (note the change in word order) or leave the pronoun out.

dEhiN wrote:Also, regarding the tilde, I thought that because está is the 3rd singular (and 2nd polite singular) present tense of estar, you write ésta to distinguish "this". But, I just looked it up on Wiktionary, and apparently that's only the case for the pronoun "this one", while what I used, the adjective, doesn't use any tilde.

Yes, and besides that, the RAE recently revised the rule to allow esta (and related words) to be written without the accent mark when used as a demonstrative pronoun, too. In other words the only "esta"-word that needs the written accent (tilde) is the verb está and you can leave the written accent off the other forms. (The result of the change, of course, is that both sets of rules are followed by different people, depending on when they learned written Spanish, etc.)

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-06, 23:06

Linguaphile wrote:I don't consider it incorrect to include it. I do think your original word order (¿nosotros vemos el próximo episodio por esta semana?) sounds unnatural, though, so I would either ask "¿vemos nosotros el próximo episodio por esta semana?" (note the change in word order) or leave the pronoun out.

Tiene sentido.

Yes, and besides that, the RAE recently revised the rule to allow esta (and related words) to be written without the accent mark when used as a demonstrative pronoun, too. In other words the only "esta"-word that needs the written accent (tilde) is the verb está and you can leave the written accent off the other forms. (The result of the change, of course, is that both sets of rules are followed by different people, depending on when they learned written Spanish, etc.)

Gracias por esta información.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-12-07, 2:57

dEhiN wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:I don't consider it incorrect to include it. I do think your original word order (¿nosotros vemos el próximo episodio por esta semana?) sounds unnatural, though, so I would either ask "¿vemos nosotros el próximo episodio por esta semana?" (note the change in word order) or leave the pronoun out.

Tiene sentido.

Gracias por esta información.

De nada. But I cut-and-pasted the sentence from the original post (Vijay's version with the strikethroughs and colors and everything), and deleted the tags and corrections, and it seems I managed to mess it up both times. I should have deleted the "por" in my sentences above but apparently only deleted the strikethroughs that were around them and left the word itself there. :roll: Clearly I didn't proofread my own post.
I think you've got it though, despite my mangled attempt. (So this post is really in response to my own error, not your post.) Just for my own sanity, though, let me try this one last time:

Correct:
¿Vemos nosotros el próximo episodio esta semana?

Also correct:
¿Vemos el próximo episodio esta semana?

(There. I proofread it this time and everything. ¡Más vale tarde que nunca!) :silly:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-11, 22:09

No miré el episodio 4 la semana pasada. Lo voy a mirar esta semana.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-12, 1:18

Vi un poco de este episodio de niño. :P

mijaffe

Postby mijaffe » 2020-04-29, 13:44

Hello,

I'm new to UniLang. Is your Study Group still active? if so, I would love to join

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2020-06-13, 14:11

mijaffe wrote:Hello,

I'm new to UniLang. Is your Study Group still active? if so, I would love to join

I'm afraid not. Lo siento!

Return to “Spanish (Español)”