Bolado

Moderator: Iván

Linguaphile

Bolado

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-02-10, 5:11

I ran across the word bolado recently from a native speaker from Mexico was told it means saying something nice to someone, like a compliment or flattery. I do not see this definition in the dictionaries and haven't heard it used this way before. Is anyone familiar with this word? Is it correct? Is it widespread or regional? ¡Gracias de antemano!
Learning is a treasure that follows its owner everywhere. El aprendizaje es un tesoro que sigue a su dueño por todas partes. Õpitu on aare, mis saadab oma omanikku kõikjal. Lernen ist ein Schatz, der seinem Besitzer überallhin folgt. L'apprentissage est un trésor qui suit son propriétaire partout. Txoj kev kawm yog cov khoom muaj nqis, uas raws nws tus tswv qhov txhia chaw. Op'minõ om aarõq, miä saat uma umanikku egäl puul.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Bolado

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-19, 3:09

This word appears to be limited to Latin America in general, and "favor" seems kind of close to the meaning you mentioned IMO:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/bolado

Linguaphile

Re: Bolado

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-02-19, 18:48

vijayjohn wrote:This word appears to be limited to Latin America in general, and "favor" seems kind of close to the meaning you mentioned IMO:

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/bolado

Thanks, I saw that, and it does seem similar but not really the same. I wondered if it had a more specific meaning in western Mexico (where I heard it from) or elsewhere. Thanks for responding!
Learning is a treasure that follows its owner everywhere. El aprendizaje es un tesoro que sigue a su dueño por todas partes. Õpitu on aare, mis saadab oma omanikku kõikjal. Lernen ist ein Schatz, der seinem Besitzer überallhin folgt. L'apprentissage est un trésor qui suit son propriétaire partout. Txoj kev kawm yog cov khoom muaj nqis, uas raws nws tus tswv qhov txhia chaw. Op'minõ om aarõq, miä saat uma umanikku egäl puul.

Return to “Spanish (Español)”