Latvian music / Latviska mūzika

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Levo
Re: Latvian music / Latviska mūzika

Postby Levo » 2008-09-15, 23:08

So, could anyone tell me some good groups from Latvia singing in Latvian?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-16, 13:51

Levo wrote:So, could anyone tell me some good groups from Latvia singing in Latvian?

There is certaint reason why I don't listen to Latvian music (except for some songs from Soviet era and Song festivals)... Anyway, what kind of music do you like ?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-19, 18:55

I hoped someone else will drop by and answer you :hmm: Now as I said don't listen to Latvian music much, so I don't really know, but...
Prāta Vētra (aka Brainstorm), which is considered gratest Latvian band by many sings in Latvian. People seem to love composer's Imants Kalniņš (aka ImKa) music. From Soviet era I think Pērkons, Menuets, Eolika are notable (or maybe not - first three which came in mind Menuets if I'm not wrong performs only Imants Kalniņš songs). Also there are some relatively nice musicals: Lāčplēsis, Kaupēn, mans mīļais, Indriķa Hronika, Tobago, Parīzes dievamātes katedrāle. And as I said music from song festivals also is published (at least I got Youth chorus concert/Jauniešu koru koncerts from song festival in 2003)

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-19, 19:32

:) You have a similar taste in Latvian music as what I have in Hungarian music. At least so it seems from the videos I could check browsing the names and titles you wrote.
Hm, man patiik labaakai (?) dziesmas no dziesmu sveetkiem. Paldies!

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-21, 13:08

Levo wrote::) You have a similar taste in Latvian music as what I have in Hungarian music. At least so it seems from the videos I could check browsing the names and titles you wrote.

C'mon! When will you start correcting my Latvian?

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-09-21, 13:31

Levo wrote:
Levo wrote::) You have a similar taste in Latvian music as what I have in Hungarian music. At least so it seems from the videos I could check browsing the names and titles you wrote.

When will you start to make serious mistakes ? :D It's Man (vis)labāk patīk

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-09-22, 18:47

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:

When will you start to make serious mistakes ? :D It's Man (vis)labāk patīk

VISlabaak! Jaa! I had to take back my Latvian book by that time and I remembered it wasn't correct, but didn't know the correct form, that is why I was waiting for it.

Lietmotiv

Postby Lietmotiv » 2008-11-09, 17:40

Another well-known Latvian singer is Yana Kay (Electronic,Drum and bass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ6mzDxu ... re=related

This song is great,refreshing

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-11-16, 22:40

There is this singing show on TV3 - they provide videos from it here (songs are in different languages, mostly English and Latvian). It seems though they don't put songs sung by all contestants there and the descriptions don't say what song it is, but they sell downloads on their homepage, where there are named samples and songs sung by all contestants /a.k.a. kopkoris/ - here. I'm not sure, if all this will stay up after the show, however :roll:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-19, 12:12

Sol Invictus wrote:There is this singing show on TV3 - they provide videos from it here (songs are in different languages, mostly English and Latvian). It seems though they don't put songs sung by all contestants there and the descriptions don't say what song it is, but they sell downloads on their homepage, where there are named samples and songs sung by all contestants /a.k.a. kopkoris/ - here. I'm not sure, if all this will stay up after the show, however :roll:

AA, nice one!
You Latvians could really win a lot if you strongly resurrected your national traditions and return to them.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-11-19, 17:36

Levo wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:There is this singing show on TV3 - they provide videos from it here (songs are in different languages, mostly English and Latvian). It seems though they don't put songs sung by all contestants there and the descriptions don't say what song it is, but they sell downloads on their homepage, where there are named samples and songs sung by all contestants /a.k.a. kopkoris/ - here. I'm not sure, if all this will stay up after the show, however :roll:

AA, nice one!
You Latvians could really win a lot if you strongly resurrected your national traditions and return to them.

Large part of our folklore tells about sex, booze and turtoring animals :ohwell:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-11-19, 18:10

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:

AA, nice one!

Large part of our folklore tells about sex, booze and turtoring animals :ohwell:

Oh, come on! :D

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-11-19, 18:58

Levo wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:Large part of our folklore tells about sex, booze and turtoring animals :ohwell:

Oh, come on! :D

For example: http://valoda.ailab.lv/folklora/ticejum ... tm#janad16 - boil a black animal at Jāņi (and even now Jāņi is mosly connected to sex and drinking) and one of its bones will make you invisible

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-11-21, 14:59

Here you can download recordings of two concerts from this summer's song festival

reegs

Postby reegs » 2008-12-10, 14:52

i don't like pirates. so i'd like to inform that a new album by Igo is freely available (for registred users) until the end of the December. http://www.doremi.lv/index.php?cat_id=n ... emi&id=108

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-01-17, 20:44

I just found out that there is a new radio, which broadcasts only Latvian songs, I see they got internet radio on their page, so perhaps, if you want to listen to some music in Latvian you should check it out - http://www.latviesuradio.lv/ (on left click where it says klausies mūs internetā)

Petros

Postby Petros » 2009-01-18, 10:39

Here u can listen popular latvian pop groups:

http://www.platformamusic.lv/artists/
Pašlaik mācos - igauņu,somu un horvātu valodu.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-03-08, 21:08

Njihohahohaa! :twisted: I have just copied a bunch of (non-metal) Skyforger songs from my cousin who wasn't aware of the origin of the band and accidentally listened to it. Ok, he thought they were Lithuanians in the end, and he still didn't delete them.
Now I have something good Latvian on my MP3!

Rasa

Postby Rasa » 2009-05-23, 22:09

Hey! And I have one great song by Skyforgers, only I didn't know the band until today. It's called "Migla migla rasa rasa (fog fog dew dew)" :whistle: The first time I heard it on the midsummers's night somewhere in the woods :para: I was sitting on the grass with my friend Miglė watching rituals and listening to the songs. We thought, wow they have a special song for both of us - Miglė and Rasa (fog and dew)! And the atmosphere seemed to be magic - it was a starry night, a big fire in the middle, hundreds of torches around us, candles floating in the lake like stars in the sky and we were wearing wreaths of flowers and grass as usual that we made ourselves in the meadow :ohwell: so that's how I fell in love with this song. :blush:
Gerai ten, kur manęs nėra. Jeigu netikit - galiu ateit.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-05-24, 8:16

That song seems to be variation of Tumša nakte, zaļa zāle (popular folksong) in which dew and fog are central villains :twisted:

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”