Short birthday dedication (native's help needed)

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Cisza
Short birthday dedication (native's help needed)

Postby Cisza » 2021-02-13, 23:17

Hi there,
I have a small favour to ask.
There's one funny photo that I'd like to send to my friend (on the occasion of this friend's birthday) where two unknown guys make us laugh doing some weird stuff — to remind of those good old days :)
Is the phrase I composed — «Es gribētu uzlabot tavu dienu tāpat kā šie divi puiši» — grammatically correct in Latvian, does it fit in this context and is it free of unwanted connotations (I mean, when I searched for the end of this phrase, there were many links to, let's say, adult content and I would definitely like to avoid this).
As my Lativan is basic, probably at least one answer is not, so could anybody please help me to make the sentence natural?
Różnica między wielbłądem i człowiekiem – wielbłąd może pracować przez tydzień nie pijąc; człowiek może przez tydzień pić nie pracując.

fagart

Re: Short birthday dedication (native's help needed)

Postby fagart » 2024-02-19, 17:10

Hi!

The sentence you composed is grammatically correct, but it could be improved for naturalness and to avoid potential misunderstandings. Here are some suggestions:

1. Tone: The current phrase comes across as a bit formal. Since it's for a friend's birthday, you might want to use a more casual and friendly tone.

2. Word choice:

- "Uzmantot" is a more formal way to say "improve." You could use "pauzdrināt" (brighten) or "pacelt" (lift) which are more casual and positive.
- "Puiši" is informal and can sometimes sound childish. Depending on your friend's age and your relationship, you could use "džeki" (dudes) or even their names.

3. Humor: The humor in the sentence relies on the photo itself. Adding a brief description of the funny thing the guys are doing could enhance the humor and make the message more personal.

4. Avoiding adult content: You're right to be cautious about the connotations of some phrases. The reason you found adult content is because "uzlabot" can also be used metaphorically for sexual activity. To avoid any ambiguity, you can simply remove that word altogether.

Here are some revised versions you can consider:

- "Lai tava dzimšanas diena ir tikpat jautra kā šie abi, kas..." (May your birthday be as fun as these two, who...) (add a description of the funny thing they're doing)
-"Domāju par tevi un šos divus trakos..." (Thinking of you and these two goofballs...) (add a description of the funny thing they're doing)
- "Hei, draugs! Lai tava diena ir tikpat neaizmirstama kā šis mirklis..." (Hey friend! May your day be as unforgettable as this moment...) (add a description of the funny thing they're doing)

I hope this helps!

Cisza

Re: Short birthday dedication (native's help needed)

Postby Cisza » 2024-02-29, 20:20

Thank you very much! Of course, I’ve already solved this problem outside Unilang as the initial post was dated back to 2021, but your input will help me in the future.
Różnica między wielbłądem i człowiekiem – wielbłąd może pracować przez tydzień nie pijąc; człowiek może przez tydzień pić nie pracując.

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”