Translation assistance for video credits

Moderator:Sol Invictus

DHenry
Translation assistance for video credits

Postby DHenry » 2016-10-21, 20:45

I'm sure you get similar requests a lot for these sort of things, but I'm looking for some assistance with English to Latvian translation, namely proofreading. I've edited a video for an event, the 7ICCCIA that took place at Pedvale Sculpture Park in Sabile in 2014, and the person who was going to proofread for me has been unreliable at getting back to me, so have been trying other avenues which led me here. I've translated through Google Translate, I just don't want it to wind up grammatically awkward due to their algorithms. It's been over a year since the editing has been finished and I just want to get this out.

TL:DR – I need translation proofreading because my friend is unreliable.

There's four frames and the total probably is half of a page of text at most. I've attached a PDF with the video stills, the white text is English and the orange is the Latvian translation. I would be happy to add you to the credits for this assistance if you would like, just give me your name and how you would like me to credit you (with proper Latvian translation too!).

Thank you for taking a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mak

Re: Translation assistance for video credits

Postby mak » 2016-10-22, 19:57

Jāņu izrādes
redaktors
Pedvāles Brīvdabas māksla muzeja direktors, Latvija
Tēlniecības docents, Minesotas Universitāte, ASV
Coles Casting dibinātājs, Dorseta, Lielbritānija
Un paldies
visiem, kas palīdzēja
un visiem, kas piedalījās

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-10-23, 11:12

mak wrote:visiem, kas palīdzēja
un visiem, kas piedalījās

This is not incorrect in the original (except for commas and just palīdzēja probably is better) and IMHO sounds better despite not being exact translation

Also what is meant by documentation? The Latvian word is not incorrect, but it means something along the lines of set of documents, professionals making documentaries, for example would be dokumentālisti, people documenting an event would be dokumentētāji, although perhaps verb dokumentēja/documented by would sound better

The dedication should be either Māra Strautmaņa piemiņai or Par piemiņu Mārim Strautmanim or perhaps you could use some internationaly recognised style like Latin phrase In memoriam. And, if I may criticise, in slides at least it looks like copyright notice and an afterthought, if you're being sincere and are not intentionally trying to hide it, perhaps you should make it more prominent

DHenry

Postby DHenry » 2016-10-23, 16:53

Thank you both very much, this helps a lot.

In the second to last slide you think palīdzēja is the correct term to use for the top line, instead of "Un, pateicoties".
Maybe there's a better way to phrase the whole thing because, looking at it, it sounds clumsy even in English. Maybe it should just read "And thanks to everyone who made this possible" and translate that instead of what on that page currently?

Documentation in this case means recorded, specifically by video. From what you're saying it sound like the more broad term, dokumentēja, would be the best to use.

I think I will switch it to "In memoriam" on the last page as you suggest, it just makes it easier.

What slides does it look like I am trying to hide a copyright? The first one, the title of the event? I only made the note that it does not need to be translated because I want to keep it consistent with what the official wording the committee used here and on other conference material. If that's not it please let me know as it is not my intention to try to mask any copyright and I want to make sure everyone is recognized properly!

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-10-24, 13:05

DHenry wrote:In the second to last slide you think palīdzēja is the correct term to use for the top line, instead of "Un, pateicoties".

In phrase I quoted where mak has changed ikvienam and katram to visiem, which is literal translation, but original isn't wring, it just means "each" and "evey", which sounds very good. You also originally had word izpalīdzēja, which means helped out not just helped, like in "my car broke down and I asked him to help out", it's mildly stylisticly diffrent and excesive here

Maybe there's a better way to phrase the whole thing because, looking at it, it sounds clumsy even in English. Maybe it should just read "And thanks to everyone who made this possible" and translate that instead of what on that page currently?

Latvian productions usally write paldies, un is your choise
Documentation in this case means recorded, specifically by video. From what you're saying it sound like the more broad term, dokumentēja, would be the best to use.

Yeah, you could also have filmēja for filmed or operatori for camera men
What slides does it look like I am trying to hide a copyright? The first one, the title of the event? I only made the note that it does not need to be translated because I want to keep it consistent with what the official wording the committee used here and on other conference material. If that's not it please let me know as it is not my intention to try to mask any copyright and I want to make sure everyone is recognized properly!

No, your dedication just looks a bit odd here, IDK about what other copyright note you're talking, everything else looks fine

DHenry

Postby DHenry » 2016-10-24, 16:46

Sol Invictus wrote:
What slides does it look like I am trying to hide a copyright . . .

No, your dedication just looks a bit odd here, IDK about what other copyright note you're talking, everything else looks fine

Oh, I see what you're getting at. The dedication at the end is just to recognize Maris, who was part of the documentation team and, sadly, passed away after the event. Without getting into too much detail, he had a big part in getting the event to happen at Pedvāles and just a good friend to everyone involved in general so I wanted to recognize him some way in the video.

Again, thanks to both you and mak for this, it helps so much and I'll finally be able to release this. Do you want to be recognized in the credits for helping me? I would be happy to mention you for your assistance.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2016-10-24, 17:03

No, it's okay, but thanks

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”