Latvian discussion group

Moderator: Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Latvian discussion group

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-12-02, 7:44

I don't think there is statistics, which include untaxed salry (because it is illegal and employers don't tell it anyone, but employees), besides government has been paying extra attention to this problem for last few years

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2008-12-03, 15:43

Hi, I've got a translation request. These are all sayings/slogans from Loesje stickers and I would like to know what they mean. (It's possible that I type unlogical divisions because I have no idea how the slogans are structured.)

- cik daudz grāmatas spēj radīt gaismu

- kad būs par karstu / istabas sildītāju izslēgsi / globālo sasilšanu nē

- eksperimentu trusītis / jau dzīvo nākotnē

What an utterly weird language :) Hope there aren't any typos.
If you haven't heard about Loesje and are wondering what it's all about:
http://www.loesje.org

Thanks a lot in advance!
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-03, 15:52

Zorba wrote:Remember that official statistics don't always tell the full story... when I was in Latvia, my employer declared to the government that I was getting paid 150 lats less per month than I actually was, as part of some tax fiddle....

Do you think it's not the same in Hungary? :wink:
So in this region this is quite comparative.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2008-12-03, 18:57

linguaholic wrote:Hi, I've got a translation request. These are all sayings/slogans from Loesje stickers and I would like to know what they mean. (It's possible that I type unlogical divisions because I have no idea how the slogans are structured.)

- cik daudz grāmatas spēj radīt gaismu

- kad būs par karstu / istabas sildītāju izslēgsi / globālo sasilšanu nē

- eksperimentu trusītis / jau dzīvo nākotnē

What an utterly weird language :) Hope there aren't any typos.
If you haven't heard about Loesje and are wondering what it's all about:
http://www.loesje.org

Thanks a lot in advance!

These all sound a bit wierd did you get them somwhere on web and perhaps could give a link ?
how many books can create light (acctualy meaning of this depends on context, I am giving the most likely translation)
when it will be too hot/you will turn of the room heater/but not the global warming
lab rabbit/allready lives in the future

Levo wrote:Do you think it's not the same in Hungary? :wink:

If you'd google ''aplokšņu algas'', which is a popular term for it, in one of the first results you'd find an article from 2005 saying that the consuming boom is too large for a country where the avarage salary is 200 lats and that some estimitate that half of people of Latvia are paid illegaly

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2008-12-03, 19:49

These all sound a bit wierd did you get them somwhere on web and perhaps could give a link ?
how many books can create light (acctualy meaning of this depends on context, I am giving the most likely translation)
when it will be too hot/you will turn of the room heater/but not the global warming
lab rabbit/allready lives in the future

Thanks!
Yeah, they're a bit weird, but they sound Loesje-y. I got them as paper stickers, so no, I don't have a link except the general Loesje link.
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Levo

Postby Levo » 2008-12-03, 23:26

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:Do you think it's not the same in Hungary? :wink:

If you'd google ''aplokšņu algas'', which is a popular term for it, in one of the first results you'd find an article from 2005 saying that the consuming boom is too large for a country where the avarage salary is 200 lats and that some estimitate that half of people of Latvia are paid illegaly

That's what I'm talking about :D It's all the same. 200 lats, that's an average monthly net salary here. The statistical average is higher with the same amount as in Latvia.
In Hungary in the early 2000's approximately 65% of the population were connected to grey economy.

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-10, 22:36

Sveiki!

I'm supporting the idea of Latvian world-domination, so, what if we started talking here, but all the Latvians ( so many around...) would reply bilingually. :)
Since I cannot write in Latvian yet :(
Paldies!

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-11, 18:30

Levo wrote:Sveiki!

I'm supporting the idea of Latvian world-domination, so, what if we started talking here, but all the Latvians ( so many around...) would reply bilingually. :)
Since I cannot write in Latvian yet :(
Paldies!

Or we could just start another thread for speaking only in Latvian (but those who can't speak it would writte in English and ask for translation for it)

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-04-19, 11:15

Hi.

As you can see by my signature, I'm at the point where I'm interested to know everything I can about the language, and if it looks good I think I can give it an honest attempt.

What I would like to know is,

a) how difficult is it compared to other languages? (perhaps the ones I have tried/are learning etc)
b) how regular is it?
c) are there alot of resources available on the internet? (songs, grammar, dictionaries etc - pref not youtube as it's blocked on uni servers T__T)
d) anything else to add?

a willing correspondant would be great too :)

Jayden

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-19, 11:44

a.) We have three irregular verbs, but there are more irregular nouns (not all of them are used, for example, III declension irregulars are never ever used), I guess some features may seem iregular (such as plural only nouns).
b.) Hardness (i.e. ability to learn language well) seems to vary from person to person, but people usualy don't complain about this.
c.) There are resources online (well, youtube mostly has songs), but ofcourse not as many as for more popular languages - some basic courses, grammar, dictionaries (thought I only know one general purpose dictionary, meant for Latvians and you have to pay for part of it), songs, internet radios and other stuff.The problem is that you have to know where to look for them.
d.) I usualy try to help people posting here.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-04-19, 12:32

What about genders and case? and difficulty of phonology? (for example, are there many non-english sounds?) I just want to know what I'm getting myself into...

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-19, 12:53

There are two genders and seven cases (of which only five are to be taken seriously). Here is a description of the grammar (if Latvian charecters look weird you have to swich encoding to Windows 1257). We have palatized consonants which are not present in English, the writting doesn't always indicate pronunciation (although Latvians usually think it does).

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-04-19, 13:00

Palatised consonants don't scare me... Well, the only ones I don't know how to pronounce are the latvian <Ģģ> and <Ķķ>. Though inflecting languages scare me, I might give latvian a try and see where it goes! ><

I just hope I know what I'm getting myself into...

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-19, 22:30

Hi Jayden!

I have been learning/practicing Latvian for a while now with bigger pauses. My native language is Hungarian. I can tell you some of my impressions if you are interested.

After learning Latvian, I switched to several Slavic languages (which are similar) and I can tell Latvian is quite regular compared to them.
Their cases are not so scary either, though my language also uses a kind of case-system, Latvian is different from that one, quite new for me, but still it is not hard to get them, and in plural most nouns are conjugated into the same case (dative) which makes it way easier, and the rest are learnable.
Their pronounciation - well, that's the part where my experience cannot be relevant for you. It sounds quite "clear" for the ears of a Hungarian, despite of their diphtongues, but being a native English-speaker it must be easier for you. Their palatalized L is easy to pronounce after a native Latvian explained it to you once with a very good picture for the setting of the tongue :)
Online resources - that's a bit of a problem, but LTV.LV has an archive for their TV programmes, one can watch them online within 1 or 2 days after the live broadcasting. And check out http://www.boms.lv too.
Yeah, their verbs are very often have only one conjugated form for all persons in certain grammatical sounds which is good news, like the conditional as far as I know, and in other cases as well, conjugation is the same in more persons. It's a relatively nice-sounding language, by no means ugly, also helpful if further you have interest in Slavic (or even Finnic!) languages.
One can discover very fast a lot of regularly repeating terminations already in the beginning of the learning period, which makes distinguishing nouns, adjectives, etc. easy. Word-stress is at the first sylabelle with a very few exceptions.
Palatalized G and K are very similar to those sounds pronounced in British English in the word "duty" and statue.

hashi

Postby hashi » 2009-04-19, 22:40

Hello Levo.

Thanks for that, itäs quite interesting learning about baltic languages. As (once again) you can see by my signature I have tried slavic languages before and failed miserably haha. But that was purely because I cannot grasp the conjugations. I love the sound of slavic lanaguages as I still listen to alot of Macedonian and Russian music. I believe a lecturer here at my university is Latvian, I was quite surprised to hear this. Well, she said she has studied at the University of Moscow, Latvia and Victoria (in wellington, new zealand). So I donät know, maybe she can help if I get desperately stuck.

What I would really need is a few common Latvian artists with plenty of mp3 available on the internet to learn pronounciation from and get used to reading. :)

Being a native speaker doesnät make diphthongs necessarily easier does it? I mean, look at Japanese and German diphthongs, they are nothing like English ones. (swedish doesnät have any thank god :) ).

What would you rate latvian out of 5 for difficulty? compared to the level of difficulty of other languages as on this page.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-04-19, 22:45

Hmm, now I've become re-interested in Latvian for the 4th or so time. :D

But one thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, how regular is the plural? Is there pretty much one rule for the plural like English, French, and Norwegian, or are there a lot like German?
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-20, 7:44

mrhashimoto wrote:What I would really need is a few common Latvian artists with plenty of mp3 available on the internet to learn pronounciation from and get used to reading. :)

I'm not sure you can get mp3 for download for free, but there is a lot of music available on web (although I those I know about mostly are music videos on youtube), check the Latvian music thread

Sean of the Dead wrote:Hmm, now I've become re-interested in Latvian for the 4th or so time. :D

But one thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned, how regular is the plural? Is there pretty much one rule for the plural like English, French, and Norwegian, or are there a lot like German?

We got six declensions, each (except fifth) had its own plural, however they follow same pattern.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-04-23, 1:26

And can you tell the declension by looking at the word or do you have to learn it with each noun?
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-04-23, 9:28

Well, endings differ more by case not by declension, so some endings match - for example in accusative singular I, III, IV declension ends with -u and the other three with -i, these two are most common endings (u is ending in 8 different case/declension combinations, u in 5) in a singular or plural of a single declension ending don't match more than twice (accusative plural for feminine is same as nominative and in III declension Genative is same as Nominative). So mistakes are possible, but I don't think you must learn each word

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-04-23, 13:11

Their endings are quite regular and followable. Yeah, sometimes certain endings can be the same as in another form and gender and case, but it is learnable.

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”