Simple Question for Latvian Child?

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Kstubble
Simple Question for Latvian Child?

Postby Kstubble » 2015-06-10, 21:39

Hello,
I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this.

Two children from northwest Latvia will be staying with us for the summer (in Texas). We do not speak Latvian and they don't speak English, or so we have been told. We are very excited and have loved learning about Latvia. I have been learning Latvian for about 8 weeks from apps. Even with cross translation, I'm having problems with the bathroom etiquette and was hoping to find someone here who can help.

What is the simplest, easiest way to ask a child if he/she needs to go to the bathroom? I need it to mean actually relieving himself/herself in the toilet... not take a bath. I have been working on signs to have in our bathrooms for the proper ways to use a toilet and where to put the paper, etc. These children haven't left their home town or been on a plane before so I want to be as proactive as possible in making sure they understand and have their needs met.

Thanks so much. And, if there is someone who might want to check my current translations to see if they make sense to a 9 and 11 year old, you can PM me or tell me what I need to do.

Again, if this isn't an appropriate question for this forum, I apologize. I was just desperate to actually find a Latvian speaker. The apps all sound like robots so I'm certain I'm pronouncing 90% of things incorrectly.

Thanks again,
Kate

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Simple Question for Latvian Child?

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-06-10, 22:12

They're kind of too old to not know how to use toilet and also most kids that age allready have started studying English. Do you have particular scenarios in mind? Like suggesting them to use it before leaving house or something?

Kstubble

Postby Kstubble » 2015-06-10, 22:29

Hi,
Thanks so much for the reply! I was told they were from a rural area and might not have an actual toilet... more like a hole (like we had when I lived in Turkey). Is toilet paper actually flushed there? I was also told it is put in a trash can, which is why I needed simple bathroom signs. Good to know that might not be the case. We are hosting them through an orphan outreach program.

If we are at a restaurant or store, I'd like to be able to ask them if they need to use the bathroom. My children usually need to go if we are out running errands. Before leaving the house would also be good. Thanks.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2015-06-10, 23:24

Kstubble wrote:I was told they were from a rural area and might not have an actual toilet... more like a hole (like we had when I lived in Turkey).

I find that highly unlikely, although I guess you never know with orphans since they may come from wild situation. I imagine very deep in the country people might use outhouses.

Is toilet paper actually flushed there? I was also told it is put in a trash can, which is why I needed simple bathroom signs.

Depends on if it would clog up the pipes where they live. If you want to make them comfortable just place a trash can in the toilet so they have a choice, I don't think being overly pushy about such a private matter is going to help.

If we are at a restaurant or store, I'd like to be able to ask them if they need to use the bathroom. My children usually need to go if we are out running errands. Before leaving the house would also be good.

Vai tu negribi aiziet uz tualeti? (singular) / Vai jūs negribat aiziet uz tualeti? (plural)

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”