question on vocabulary

Moderator: Sol Invictus

manolitos

question on vocabulary

Postby manolitos » 2010-07-19, 10:58

Hello all.

Can someone help me with some word I have issues with, please?

"divējas durvis" is OK concerning Google search results.

However, I wonder if "divējās durvis" should be more correct.

Is "divējas" genetive of noun "divēja" or plural nominative of adjective "divēja/divējā"?

Thanks.

mak

Re: question on vocabulary

Postby mak » 2010-07-19, 12:03

divējs is an adjective that I'm guessing describes something that has two sides but I can't find it in the dictionary. Example setences.

I believe divējas durvis means double doors that are seperated i.e. it's the same doors but each door leads to a different room. Description here.

Since durvis is a plural noun that is feminine, divējas is the plural of divēja which is the feminine form of divējs.

Wheather it's divējas durvis or divējās durvis depends on the context.
divējas durvis = some double doors
divējās durvis = the double doors
If you want to talk about divējas durvis in general then I don't know which is more correct.

Does it make sense?

manolitos

Postby manolitos » 2010-07-20, 8:36

Thanks for your prompt response to my question. Sometimes those definite adjectives really drive me mad. I guess it is a similar issue with the use of the article in Spanish. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Apart from that, would you please let me ask you for your recommendation on which Latvian dictionary should I buy as a student? And what about grammars? Is the old MLLVG still available on bookstores? What about that new edition they were preparing?

mak

Postby mak » 2010-07-22, 18:14

You're probably looking for a comprehensive Latvian-Anyotherlanguage dictionary which has plenty of sample sentences, includes synonyms, antonyms as well as pronuncation. I'm not aware of such a dictionary. But a combo of letonika.lv + tezaurs.lv + pronuncation dictionary should do the job.

I use this website as a reference (it is also available in English). What is MLLVG?

ciuppo2000

Postby ciuppo2000 » 2010-07-26, 14:06

MLLVG !!?? Probably ... Mūsdienu Latviešu Literārās Valodas Gramātika.

I found a copy (two volumes) of this grammar by chance in an antiquarian bookshop of Rīga.
A real lucky strike :yep: since as far as I am concerned it is impossible to find it in normal bookshops.

It would be really interesting to know if a new and updated version is in preparation.

ciuppo2000 :)

grrg

Postby grrg » 2010-08-02, 13:24

'Divējas durvis' sounds poetic and antiquated, as the examples mak provided from folklore. Double doors are usually called 'dubultdurvis', literally double (dubult) + durvis (doors), 'divējas' means of two natures not two identical objects, usually used in folk songs ('divējas dabas' two natures, two uses - compare 'divdabis'-'participle' partaking of the essence of adjective and noun) or literary prose ('divēji ceļi' two roads different in their symbolic meanings).

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”