So you think you are smart ?

Moderator: Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

So you think you are smart ?

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-02-15, 2:50

I found some old Latvian exams online by accident and now I have this evil idea to chalange you to try to do them and post your answers here :twisted: don't worry it looks that they are above basic level so it should be a piece of cake for you (especialy for those of you who have a degree in Baltic philology) and I won't laugh maniacly about your mistakes.*

So let's start with Exam in Latvian as foreign language for the 3d grade: PDF and MP3 for first two tasks

* I usually don't laugh about mistakes others make, I find correcting them more interesting and there are no correct answers given for these exams anyway. This particular exam is for kids who are expected to have basic conversational skils, other exams, if we ever get so far, are more difficult. You don't have to do all tasks, this is just for fun - there haven't been any discussions about more than few words in this forum for quite some time and I'm a bit bored

Levo

Re: So you think you are smart ?

Postby Levo » 2009-02-15, 16:22

Máálais spáálais, darcuos, marcuos atpláákshu, meecies. :) It's so relaxing listening to this language.

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-02-15, 17:21

You are a unique person, if exam tasks make you feel relaxed :lol: Now why don't you try to do some of the tasks ? :twisted:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-02-15, 21:58

Sol Invictus wrote:You are a unique person, if exam tasks make you feel relaxed :lol: Now why don't you try to do some of the tasks ? :twisted:

I'm still not at that level. Ok, I have just started to refresh my Latvian not long ago, maybe after then. (I don't even get the excercises )
By the way, I have just watched a Hungarian film, where they were continuosly talking about a Latvian with whom one of the girls fell in love.
"I would run for him to Tallinn!
- Riga...
- Even more!"

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-02-15, 22:43

:lol:

I wonder, if saying that I partly started this to gauge, if I shold try to write course of Latvian in order to help my nation on its way to world governance, would help to get some people to try to do the tasks :roll:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-02-16, 21:11

Sol Invictus wrote::lol:

I wonder, if saying that I partly started this to gauge, if I shold try to write course of Latvian in order to help my nation on its way to world governance, would help to get some people to try to do the tasks :roll:

You should help Daina Nítinya or Inga Klévere drawing some nice pictures to the Latvian study book because one of the reasons I stopped it long ago is that the book itself was very boring. It just says the grammar, then talks about Dace, Jánítis and their vecámaminyu and you can learn the tables...
In the Estonian book there were small little drawings which made it easier to get the grammar, though since Latvian and Hungarian have at least the same amount of common grammar as Hungarian and Estonian (:P:P:P yes believe it or not) it wouldn't be just a problem, just this way the book is really faceless.

I am not against some unique-style Latvian course.
The world would be a better place with Latvian world order. :D Daínas, kokles, and girls singing with flower-wreath on their head. :yum:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-02-16, 21:49

Levo wrote:The world would be a better place with Latvian world order. :D Daínas, kokles, and girls singing with flower-wreath on their head. :yum:

Reminds me of The White Fathers :lol:

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-02-17, 9:48

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:The world would be a better place with Latvian world order. :D Daínas, kokles, and girls singing with flower-wreath on their head. :yum:

I got something of the texts, though still not clear.
Is it some kind of civic organisation or an unserious group of Latvian manly males? :)

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2009-02-17, 14:48

Levo wrote:
Sol Invictus wrote:

I got something of the texts, though still not clear.
Is it some kind of civic organisation or an unserious group of Latvian manly males? :)

The second one, most likely. They are having a laugh about the idea, some esoretics have, that Latvia was once an almighty civilization, Latvians constantly complaining about life and other things. They say that the White Fathers love to fill their kokles with the sacred beverage and go to "play kokle" in the sacred groove

Levo

Postby Levo » 2009-02-17, 21:22

Sol Invictus wrote:
Levo wrote:I got something of the texts, though still not clear.

The second one, most likely. They are having a laugh about the idea, some esoretics have, that Latvia was once an almighty civilization, Latvians constantly complaining about life and other things. They say that the White Fathers love to fill their kokles with the sacred beverage and go to "play kokle" in the sacred groove

:)

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”