kavorka

Moderator:Sol Invictus

Gormur
kavorka

Postby Gormur » 2007-02-07, 0:41

Is kavorka a Latvian word? And is kavorka real? Because I think I have it.
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2007-02-07, 10:15

No, and I think that Latvian ortodoxal church mostly uses russian language :lol: (anyway it's most likely made-up word, that doesn't exist in any language)

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-02-07, 12:40

I had seen in a Turkish website. It's said that: "It is a Latvian word which means "the lure of the animal"
:lol:

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2007-02-07, 20:22

Alcadras wrote:I had seen in a Turkish website. It's said that: "It is a Latvian word which means "the lure of the animal"

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, since I saw it on a Seinfeld episode (George joins the Latvian Orthodox Church). :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conver ... ld_episode)
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-02-07, 20:24

Gormur wrote:
Alcadras wrote:I had seen in a Turkish website. It's said that: "It is a Latvian word which means "the lure of the animal"

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing, since I saw it on a Seinfeld episode (George joins the Latvian Orthodox Church). :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Conver ... ld_episode)

yes, therefore i had seen that quote in turkish seinfeld fanpage. i asked the guy about it, and he told me :D

kripata

Postby kripata » 2007-02-08, 14:08

It's not a Latvian word :shock: It sounds really Russian.

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2007-02-08, 15:23

kripata wrote:It's not a Latvian word :shock: It sounds really Russian.

Yeah, maybe so. I will ask around. It must be a real word - it sounds very authentic, at least. :wink:

Sol Invictus
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Sol Invictus » 2007-02-08, 16:53

Yes, it realy does sound russian, so I checked in dictionary - there was no such word. It sounds alike to karovka, which is russian name for sort of candies, maybe someone has played around with words, anyway, I believe that -ka is russian demunative ending, so it should be derived from kavor, which might stand for "bait", but it's realy doubtfull since dictionary didn't have anything kavor-like either when I searched for "bait"

anna pensionerova

Re: kavorka

Postby anna pensionerova » 2018-01-22, 15:10

Hallo, I`m Russian and I can positively say that "kavorka" doesn`t sound like a russian word at all. There`s no such a word as "kavor" in Russian, it`s absolultly meaningless. Korovka, yes - it`s a diminitive of "korova" which means "a cow", but two of these words is incomparable. Such combination of sounds in this sequence is not typical for Russian. It seems to me that it is not even Slavic. Because ethnic Latvian is not Slavic and they belong to Baltic language group. This more looks like true.

drtim1111

Re: kavorka

Postby drtim1111 » 2018-02-03, 7:31

To be a real word or not, it seems that to help someone the most, you should say nothing over your best guess. I mean your best guess is as good as anyone's. 💡🙈🙉🙊💡

Return to “Latvian (Latviešu valoda)”