Which Arabic would it be best to learn?

Moderator: eskandar

Woods

Which Arabic would it be best to learn?

Postby Woods » 2020-09-21, 11:27

I think I would like to put Arabic in my list of languages to learn, but I am not sure which version I should choose.

My considerations would be:

* It should be the dialect of a country which respects women (and by this I mean the way we do in Europe and not "she's happy being my wife at home while I'm doing whatever I want")
* It should be understandable by other Arabs, or at least it should make it a lot easier for me to get into other dialects
* It should be possible to learn - there should be resources such as textbooks, dictionaries, media and art published in the language

Should I just go for Standard literary Arabic or would a certain dialect fit my criteria better?

lisānunā

Re: Which Arabic would it be best to learn?

Postby lisānunā » 2020-12-23, 10:40

Woods wrote:I think I would like to put Arabic in my list of languages to learn, but I am not sure which version I should choose.

My considerations would be:

* It should be the dialect of a country which respects women (and by this I mean the way we do in Europe and not "she's happy being my wife at home while I'm doing whatever I want")
* It should be understandable by other Arabs, or at least it should make it a lot easier for me to get into other dialects
* It should be possible to learn - there should be resources such as textbooks, dictionaries, media and art published in the language

Should I just go for Standard literary Arabic or would a certain dialect fit my criteria better?

Hi,

I recommend Modern Standard Arabic.
Understandable by a majority.
But it all depends on your motivations, really, and on your answer to the question : "Why do you want to learn Arabic?".

Still I don't think that the first criteria is a valid one, unless one believes all that is said in MSM.
My point is : I do not think that there is country where NO woman is respected.
No one should proclaim that NO woman is respected in Los Angeles just because it is the capital of adult (read MEN's) entertainment and women trafficking.
The relationship between adults is first of all an intimate one.
So nobody really knows what is happening in such or such couple.
There is abuse everywhere.
There is abuse of all kinds.

Best wishes. :)
First Contact with Arabic Language Writing System - A. AZZI

Woods

Postby Woods » 2020-12-23, 11:50

lisānunā wrote:
Woods wrote:* It should be the dialect of a country which respects women (and by this I mean the way we do in Europe and not "she's happy being my wife at home while I'm doing whatever I want")

Still I don't think that the first criteria is a valid one, unless one believes all that is said in MSM.
No one should proclaim that NO woman is respected in Los Angeles just because it is the capital of adult (read MEN's) entertainment and women trafficking.

Uh, isn't it true that in Saudi Arabia every woman must have a "male guardian," meaning that she is treated as a retarded person who cannot make decisions for herself and if he rapes her for example and she says anything against it, she is shamed, imprisoned and maybe even killed? That in Egypt genital mutilation of young girls is common practice? And so on disgusting treatment of women, and men just enjoy it and nobody does anything about it?

I don't buy your "Los Angeles is the capital of adult entertainment" comparison at all.
Last edited by Woods on 2020-12-23, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

lisānunā

Postby lisānunā » 2020-12-23, 11:57

Woods wrote:
lisānunā wrote:
Woods wrote:* It should be the dialect of a country which respects women (and by this I mean the way we do in Europe and not "she's happy being my wife at home while I'm doing whatever I want")

Uh, isn't it true that in Saudi Arabia every woman must have a "male guardian," meaning that she is treated as a retarded person who cannot make decisions for herself and if he rapes her for example and she says anything against it, she is shamed, imprisoned and maybe even killed? That in Egypt genital mutilation of young girls is common practice? And so on disgusting treatment of women and men just enjoy it and nobody does anything about it?

I don't buy your "Los Angeles is the capital of adult entertainment" comparison at all.

:waytogo:
First Contact with Arabic Language Writing System - A. AZZI

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”