Could someone clarify verbal forms?

Moderator:eskandar

bogororo
Could someone clarify verbal forms?

Postby bogororo » 2005-04-12, 12:58

Hi,

I've been learning arabic for about 2 years now, without a very solid course. Despite the fact that I found the verbal references described in many places I have yet to find a resource actually detailing what each form does semantically to the triliteral root - the only example I know is taqala (to kill) and taqqala (to massacre). I would appreciate if someone could either explain the roots or give me a link to a site that does.

Thank you!

Asminha

Postby Asminha » 2005-04-16, 7:43

I guess that my respons is a bit late, but I just wanted to comment after all :)

The verb to kill is qatala قتل, so as you see, the root is composed by three letters :-)

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-04-16, 13:00

Hi, thanks for the correction.

But would you care to detail what which form does to the meaning - such as the second form exagerating the first? Thank you!

Postby Guest » 2005-04-17, 12:42

Hello,

Let me try to answer your question, even if I am not that familiar with English nominations to Arabic rules.

The verb to kill is: 9atala -- قتل
For the third singular pronoun 'he', it's ya9tulu -- يقتل
The noun itself is: 9atl -- قتل

I hope that helps -- And by the way, I am not that familiar with writing Arabic letters in Latin, either.. Like using 3 and 7 and 9 :roll:

M@!

Postby M@! » 2005-04-17, 12:44

I don't know if this the right place to ask such question, but, I did activate my account, so why did I appear as a guest? And what's the difference between registering and joining?

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2005-04-19, 7:34

You might need to login now, using the data you specified when registering/joining (same thing) . There's a link to login to the forum in the gray bar on top of the screen.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

M@!

Postby M@! » 2005-04-19, 12:08

Hello,

That's not what I exactly asked for, but thanks anyway :--)

Psi-Lord

Re: Could someone clarify verbal forms?

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-04-28, 8:25

bogororo wrote:Despite the fact that I found the verbal references described in many places I have yet to find a resource actually detailing what each form does semantically to the triliteral root [...].

Bogoro, does that mean that, in other words, you'd like to know which kind of change in meaning you obtain from the same root when changing a verb from, let's say, type I to type III, or something to that effect? If so, I can try and quote a few lines about it from Teach Yourself Arabic. However, the author himself writes:

The concept of 'meaning patterns' for forms II to X is a delicate subject. While it is impossible to assess how conscious an Arab is of the relationship between the derived forms and the basic root meanings, most European books tend to be overenthusiastic on the subject and make sweeping—and inaccurate—generalisations.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-04-28, 10:38

Yeah, Psi, I suppose I am guilty of one of those sweeping generalizations. I would be grateful, though if you could explain those patterns to me, albeit they I will be aware they do not apply to all cases.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-04-28, 11:15

Now that I've read the verb section of the book more carefully, I think you'll be disappointed, as there's actually very little about the verbal forms indeed. Anyway, here it goes—maybe an experience student or a native speaker will be able to add something more:

Form I — ...

Form II
a) causative:
kabur (I) = to be large > kabbar (II) = to make big, to enlarge
b) forming verbs from nouns:
miSr = Egypt > maSSar (II) = to egyptianise

Form III — ...

Form IV — causative:
jalas (I) = to sit > 'ajlas (IV) = to cause to sit, to seat

Form V — ...

Form VI — doing something in association with or in competition with someone else:
tanaafas = to compete, to vie with each other;
taHaawar = to carry on a discussion

Form VII — usually intransitive, with a passive or reflexive meaning:
inkasar = to become broken, to break

Form VIII — no helpful or traceable pattern of meaning.

Form IX — quite rare, only used to form verbs from the special adjectives of basic colour and physical defect.

Form X
a) seeking or asking for the action of the root:
3alim (I) = to know > ista3lam (X) = to seek or ask to know, to enquire
b) considering something/someone as possessing the meaning of the root:
Hasun (I) = to be good > istaHsan (X) = to consider good

I haven't written the changes that occur on the root in each of the forms, but, if you need that, I can add it, too. There's also something about it at the Unilang Wiki:

[wiki]Arabic:_Verb_Reference[/wiki]
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

bogororo

Postby bogororo » 2005-04-28, 12:34

Thanks a lot!

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2005-07-23, 16:47

Hi bogororo,
I wanted to add that verb form VIII is often reflexive (the subject acts on itself). For instance:
Form I: jama3a n-naasa (جَمَعَ النَّاسَ) - he gathered the people.
Form VIII: ijtama3a n-naasa (إجْتَمَعَ النَّاسَ) - the people gathered (themselves).

There's a similar verb form in Hebrew, but in both cases there are many verbs in which the form and the meaning are unrelated :?

Return to “Arabic (العربية)”